State your unpopular opinions

BigSqwert

QUOTE (ChiSox_Sonix @ Jul 14, 2009 -> 04:13 PM)
Since they want everything equal, women should be eligible for the draft. If they are not, then Title IX should be abolished.

If women's tennis players and golfers want equal pay to men, they need to play best of 5 sets and hit from the same tee box.

• Replies 456
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (whitesoxfan101 @ Jul 14, 2009 -> 11:45 PM)

I don't agree with this, but I'm not going to make fun of it either. I would love to hear some details on why you believe this if you are serious.

It was a joke.

But, I do think there's something going on. A friend and I had an up-close, extended UFO sighting when I was about 13 and there have been others I have known throughout my life that have seen those things, so I do believe the topic is a serious one. I don't know if it has anything to do with aliens though. It could be all kinds of odd phenomena we don't know much if anything about.

The alien abduction stuff - at least it's kind of funny to me. There are people who say they've experienced this personally, and they have been shown to be telling at least what they believe to be the truth, so maybe something is there. Or maybe not. It makes for good stories though. And seriously, if aliens are literally teleporting into people's houses (or trailers) and leading them into UFO's where they are sexually abused more or less, and occasionally mutilated, then in the grand scheme of things that is probably an issue of just a tad more importance than Manny's suspension. And actually, I wish that thought would entire the public consciousness. For example, instead of asking ourselves "How can we complain about food prices when children in Africa are going hungry?" we should ask ourselves "How can we complain about ____ when women in Texas are having their fetuses removed and placed into jars by evil extraterrestrials who want to take over the planet and make us their slaves?"

Edited by Kenny Hates Prospects

I understand why you said this, but haven't there been enough people found innocent to at least give them a chance?

Note what I said what it would take to get on death row. No single murders, just people convicted in separate cases (serial killer.) That would make it a small chance that the evidence would be wrong in all the cases. How about immediate death to anyone convicted of murder with the use of DNA testing?

Flame away: What does the world lose if the wrong gangbanger is convicted of murder? Example: Car full of gang members kills a group of rival gang members but you can't trace each bullet to each shooter. Just convict everyone who had a gun in that car of multiple homicide and put them to immediate death for affliating with a gang.

QUOTE (dasox24 @ Jul 15, 2009 -> 12:34 AM)
    Oh, and they're needs to be levels to DUI convictions. Like, being one beer over the limit is not at all the same as being 10 beers over the limit. But, apparently it's the same according to the court system here. I had 8 beers in 6 hours tonight and drove home fine, but according to the law, I'm pretty sure I would have blown over a .08, which means I legally drove drunk tonight even though I was fine.

You only think you're fine.

The DUI limit should be lowered to .04.

Gays should be allowed to marry, adopt, serve in the military and be members of the clergy.

College (pending aptitude tests and maintaining a certain GPA) should be very, very, very heavily subsidized by the government (particularly for students going into the sciences).

One year of military or community service should be mandatory for all Americans. They can do it after high school or after college.

QUOTE (BearSox @ Jul 14, 2009 -> 10:02 PM)
    Outlaw all 3rd term abortions unless it is for a legit medical reason.

I believe this is already true.

All other rapists should be castrated and get a mandatory minimum sentence of 30 years.

Castration doesn't do any good - rapists are rapists because of things going on in their brains.

Disband ACORN and community organizer groups like it.

I can't see how this would be possible - seems to be very much against the major principles of a democracy.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Jul 15, 2009 -> 07:55 AM)
    I can't see how this would be possible - seems to be very much against the major principles of a democracy.

That's what makes it so unpopular.

QUOTE (Soxy @ Jul 15, 2009 -> 07:46 AM)
    One year of military or community service should be mandatory for all Americans. They can do it after high school or after college.

How would that be possible? Especially for those who went to college? College loan paybacks begin within 6 months

QUOTE (ChiSox_Sonix @ Jul 15, 2009 -> 08:03 AM)
    How would that be possible? Especially for those who went to college? College loan paybacks begin within 6 months

Well, obviously, the 6 month period would be extended. There are already exemptions for different things like that anyway, lots of states do it for different professions and services.

QUOTE (dasox24 @ Jul 15, 2009 -> 12:34 AM)
    Oh, and they're needs to be levels to DUI convictions. Like, being one beer over the limit is not at all the same as being 10 beers over the limit. But, apparently it's the same according to the court system here. I had 8 beers in 6 hours tonight and drove home fine, but according to the law, I'm pretty sure I would have blown over a .08, which means I legally drove drunk tonight even though I was fine.

Completely agree with this. I'll often go to a friends house with a six pack and then go home 4 or 5 hours later. I'm completely fine, but I know i may legally in that .06-.08 range.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Jul 15, 2009 -> 09:05 AM)
    Well, obviously, the 6 month period would be extended. There are already exemptions for different things like that anyway, lots of states do it for different professions and services.

Private loans should not have mandated regulations though, hence why they are private. I took out a second student loan through Citibank and there were ways to get extensions but it's a pain in the ass.

QUOTE (ChiSox_Sonix @ Jul 15, 2009 -> 08:07 AM)
    Private loans should not have mandated regulations though, hence why they are private. I took out a second student loan through Citibank and there were ways to get extensions but it's a pain in the ass.

Oh I agree with you there - if you get private loans, they can do whatever the heck they want. I'm talking about the government backed or government sponsored stuff here.

QUOTE (ChiSox_Sonix @ Jul 15, 2009 -> 08:06 AM)
    Completely agree with this. I'll often go to a friends house with a six pack and then go home 4 or 5 hours later. I'm completely fine, but I know i may legally in that .06-.08 range.

And just as is true with the earlier poster, really, you're not fine at all. This has been proven time and again in studies - your reaction time is worse, your vision is worse, your critical thinking is slower... very drink you have makes you less capable of driving safely. Yes, there should be a line, and no, the BAC limit shouldn't be .01. But if you have a 6 pack in 4 hours, you are undoubtedly effected by it. Its simple medical reality.

That all said, I actually agree on gradations for BAC levels - but I think that is already the case. Judges can use that as a factor in mitigation or aggravation, at their discretion. It doesn't change the charge, but can change the sentencing.

In any case, first DUI at any level should be a 5 year license suspension and a little jail time (maybe 30 days). Second offense, same suspension, but minimum 1 year jail time. Third offense, no license again ever, and minimum 5 years jail time.

QUOTE (ChiSox_Sonix @ Jul 15, 2009 -> 09:03 AM)

Wouldn't need to pay it back because it would be very heavily subsized. So, no more student loans--which essentially punish students for attempting to better themselves.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Jul 15, 2009 -> 09:08 AM)
    Oh I agree with you there - if you get private loans, they can do whatever the heck they want. I'm talking about the government backed or government sponsored stuff here.

Which is fine, but government loans often don't cover enough. Especially if you're middle class but your parents can't afford to pay for you and the government deems your parents of being too rich to give you full financial aid. (Another situation that needs to be changed).

-More scholarships should be given based on scholastics, not just on "need"

On that topic my parents started a scholarship at my alma matter in my grandfathers' names which specifically states that it is to be given out every need without regard to financial need. I understand why the "need" scholarships exist, but it seems when I was applying for some in school I was disqualified b/c my family made too much. I was a top 10% student in my class, did extracurriculars, had a great SAT score, played athletics, but could hardly find a scholarship b/c even though I only had about $500 in my bank account I was deemed "too rich" too often.

QUOTE (Soxy @ Jul 15, 2009 -> 09:43 AM)
    Wouldn't need to pay it back because it would be very heavily subsized. So, no more student loans--which essentially punish students for attempting to better themselves.

+1

I'm 2 years into paying my student loans back and it seems I've hardly put a dent in them. I know my degree got me my job but that's a significant chunk of my monthly salary I lose right now. Can't wait until they are no longer a concern.

I believe this is already true.

Not in all states, but most. Also, you have to prevent another Tiller situation where the abortion doctor abuses the system.

Castration doesn't do any good - rapists are rapists because of things going on in their brains.

Most studies show that sex offenders who have been castrated are much less likely to repeat their offense when they get out.

I think you can make the case for ACORN being an unconstitutional organization.

I got no problem with having a group that conducts the census, and a group that helps people register to vote.

QUOTE (BearSox @ Jul 15, 2009 -> 09:50 AM)
    Most studies show that sex offenders who have been castrated are much less likely to repeat their offense when they get out.

Source please?

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Jul 15, 2009 -> 09:12 AM)
    And just as is true with the earlier poster, really, you're not fine at all. This has been proven time and again in studies - your reaction time is worse, your vision is worse, your critical thinking is slower... very drink you have makes you less capable of driving safely. Yes, there should be a line, and no, the BAC limit shouldn't be .01. But if you have a 6 pack in 4 hours, you are undoubtedly effected by it. Its simple medical reality.

That all said, I actually agree on gradations for BAC levels - but I think that is already the case. Judges can use that as a factor in mitigation or aggravation, at their discretion. It doesn't change the charge, but can change the sentencing.

In any case, first DUI at any level should be a 5 year license suspension and a little jail time (maybe 30 days). Second offense, same suspension, but minimum 1 year jail time. Third offense, no license again ever, and minimum 5 years jail time.

I just disagree. I think everyone handles things differently. I don't know how they could do it but applying a set number like that to everyone isn't accurate. I was good friends with a girl in college who had 3 drinks and was gone. People react differently.