Halladay Superthread

chisoxfan09

QUOTE (chiguy79 @ Jul 14, 2009 -> 03:22 PM)
Ummm, how many titles do the Blue Jays have and they have had halladay for 14 years, seeing as we have so many MLB ready infielders in our minor league system I am sure we could replace the entire left side of our infield no problem. And Halladay isn't that much better than Gavin, especially since you are only getting 1.5 years out of him at a high price, the only good news is he comes off the books for the 2010 free agency year which is flush with stars.

But isn't a Halladay/Buehrle-anchored rotation almost as good as the Johnson/Schilling one the Dbacks had in 2001? Wouldn't that be enough to put us over the top, the future be damned?

• Replies 779
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (longshot7 @ Jul 14, 2009 -> 05:25 PM)
But isn't a Halladay/Buehrle-anchored rotation almost as good as the Johnson/Schilling one the Dbacks had in 2001? Wouldn't that be enough to put us over the top, the future be damned?

Last I saw MB was giving up 8 runs to the .500 twins so no, I don't think that is the same, and I definitely don't see us reaching the world series with Fields at 3B and Nix at SS. Giving up too much future in that deal.

Wow, did anyone even f***ing read what Rogers wrote? He said Beckham or Ramirez are deal breakers. He didn't say the Sox would offer Floyd, Beckham, and Ramirez.

However, trading Floyd would be like taking two steps forward but one step back. Sure, you upgrade a spot in your rotation, but adding Halladay to Buehrle, Danks, Floyd, and Contreras is the key.

QUOTE (chiguy79 @ Jul 14, 2009 -> 03:28 PM)
Last I saw MB was giving up 8 runs to the .500 twins so no, I don't think that is the same, and I definitely don't see us reaching the world series with Fields at 3B and Nix at SS. Giving up too much future in that deal.

Everyone has a bad day once in a while, but I guess you didnt read my post. I said trade Beckham, but no one else. F--- the future if it means another title, that's my thinking.

QUOTE (DC23MVP @ Jul 14, 2009 -> 04:27 PM)
I think that a Floyd, Beckham, and Alexei for Halladay deal is pretty good for us

WTF?? :lolhitting I'd rather finish the season with who we have, we'd probably finish better. No to any of the speculated trade scenarios for Halladay. I say find another team to deal with that can supply us with something we need.

QUOTE (DC23MVP @ Jul 14, 2009 -> 04:27 PM)
I think that a Floyd, Beckham, and Alexei for Halladay deal is pretty good for us, but I don't think we need to do it. We'd have a whole at 3B and at SS that would be hard to fill, and I think it wouldn't be worth it.

That would be the WORST trade Sox could make! :unsure: :bringit

QUOTE (Lemon_44 @ Jul 15, 2009 -> 04:05 AM)
i think a deal of Richard, Poreda, Fields, and another prospect would get Halladay. That's 3 young guys who are already at MLB level and an upcoming propsect. That's rumored to be more than what they are looking for.

You don't think Toronto could get more than that? I can't wait for Halladay to get traded.

QUOTE (longshot7 @ Jul 14, 2009 -> 05:35 PM)
Everyone has a bad day once in a while, but I guess you didnt read my post. I said trade Beckham, but no one else. F--- the future if it means another title, that's my thinking.

How exactly does adding Halladay equal title. This team has a lot of flaws and is not a single pitcher away from being a title contender. We wouldn't have kids like Beckham starting one year from their draft day on a one player away world series contender. We are a team in transition that might challenge the pirates for worst team if we deck Beckham and some kids for a 1 1/2 year rental.

QUOTE (EvilJester99 @ Jul 15, 2009 -> 03:13 AM)
I'm thinking Halladay will end up in Philly....I am just hoping Detroit doesn't go out of their way to try and get him.

They don't have the prospects to get him. I really think Philadelphia is where he'll end up.

QUOTE (southsideirish71 @ Jul 14, 2009 -> 10:14 PM)
How exactly does adding Halladay equal title. This team has a lot of flaws and is not a single pitcher away from being a title contender. We wouldn't have kids like Beckham starting one year from their draft day on a one player away world series contender. We are a team in transition that might challenge the pirates for worst team if we deck Beckham and some kids for a 1 1/2 year rental.

If you could get Rolen along with Halliday for just Beckham, or say Beckham and Richard, you improve at 3B and starting staff.

With the improvement from Richard to Halliday and Beckham to Rolen, you can reasonably expect to win the crappy AL Central. In the playoffs, a rotation of Halliday, Buerhle, Danks and either Floyd or Contreras looks mighty tough to beat.

Edited by South Side Fireworks Man

QUOTE (Lemon_44 @ Jul 14, 2009 -> 10:05 PM)
i think a deal of Richard, Poreda, Fields, and another prospect would get Halladay. That's 3 young guys who are already at MLB level and an upcoming propsect. That's rumored to be more than what they are looking for.

Kenny does that deal with his pants off.

JP Ricciardi: "I've been cornholed!"

QUOTE (Lemon_44 @ Jul 14, 2009 -> 08:05 PM)

I can see that deal getting done if they force us to take Vernon Wells and that hideous contract along with Halladay. It would be interesting if some kind of deal like that could happen because we could solve our CF this way. But money would be the issue.

QUOTE (South Side Fireworks Man @ Jul 14, 2009 -> 10:22 PM)
If you could get Rolen along with Halliday for just Beckham, or say Beckham and Richard, you improve at 3B and starting staff.

With the improvement from Richard to Halliday and Beckham to Rolen, you can reasonably expect to win the crappy AL Central. In the playoffs, a rotation of Halliday, Buerhle, Danks and either Floyd or Contreras looks mighty tough to beat.

Why in the name of god would they want Richard. They have a lot of starting pitching. If they want a return back for starting pitching its going to be something that projects highly. Like say John Danks. So is Danks + Beckham + Flowers + Hudson + something else about what you want to give up for a 1 1/2 year prayer. Because if you drop that group in, and you don't win it. You have f***ed your franchise for a long time. If this was a Miguel Cabrera type guy, who plays everyday is young and under control sure blast away. But going for a pitcher and Rolen, I don't know if that pushes you over the top. Our pitching is pretty good right now outside of our 5th starter.

X player + secondary crap or large numbers of crap isn't going to get this done. Think young major leaguers who project highly, and are under control for a long time.

Edited by southsideirish71

QUOTE (Kenny Hates Prospects @ Jul 14, 2009 -> 11:25 PM)
Kenny does that deal with his pants off.

JP Ricciardi: "I've been cornholed!"

when you consider Richard/Poreda and 2 minor leaguers would've gotten Peavy, i don't think that's too much of a reach. Peavy,at the time, was every bit the big name Halladay is. Maybe even moreso because he is younger and signed longer. 2 hard-throwing young lefties already pitching at the MLB level carries alot of weight these days and Fields, no matter how much people dislike him, still has more value than a minor league mid-range prospect. A deal for Halladay is going to cost the Sox less than what the deal for Peavy did. At least it should.

QUOTE (southsideirish71 @ Jul 14, 2009 -> 10:32 PM)
Why in the name of god would they want Richard. They have a lot of starting pitching. If they want a return back for starting pitching its going to be something that projects highly. Like say John Danks. So is Danks + Beckham + Flowers + Hudson + something else about what you want to give up for a 1 1/2 year prayer. Because if you drop that group in, and you don't win it. You have f***ed your franchise for a long time. If this was a Miguel Cabrera type guy, who plays everyday is young and under control sure blast away. But going for a pitcher and Rolen, I don't know if that pushes you over the top. Our pitching is pretty good right now outside of our 5th starter.

X player + secondary crap or large numbers of crap isn't going to get this done. Think young major leaguers who project highly, and are under control for a long time.

I don't know if they want Richard or anybody else. That's not the point. I was responding to the question whether or not trading Beckham straight up for Halliday would put the Sox in a good position to win the World Series. I said that if the Sox could also get Rolen along with Halliday then trading Beckham and someone other than the Sox top four starters would indeed put the Sox in a good position to win the crappy AL Central and the rotation of Halliday, Buehrle, Danks and Floyd/Contreras would be tough to beat in October. Period.

I have no idea if Ricciardi would want Beckham enough to make such a deal or if he would hang up on KW after he stopped laughing. I just responded to the hypothetical situation of trading Beckham for Halliday.

And no way would I trade any of the sox top four starters for Halliday. I wouldn't mind including Flowers in a trade for him though. (Not Flowers + Beckham though)

Edited by South Side Fireworks Man

No matter how you spell Roy Hollyday, he would make the Sox better. Not only would he win a definite number of games more that Richard/Colon/?, all of the rest of our pitchers could end up winning a game or two more from facing lesser competition. The revitalized Bronze Titan will be the #5! Floyd would be ripping up on #4 pitchers. I realize that the rotation of pitchers inevitably gets off so that 1's don't always face 1's. That does not change the fact that the Sox will have more games the second half with a starting pitching advantage. He is worth Ramirez and a prospect package in my mind. However, the idea of trading Floyd would NOT work because of money, years, and the loss of the starting pitching advantage I just described.

QUOTE (Lemon_44 @ Jul 14, 2009 -> 10:43 PM)
when you consider Richard/Poreda and 2 minor leaguers would've gotten Peavy, i don't think that's too much of a reach. Peavy,at the time, was every bit the big name Halladay is. Maybe even moreso because he is younger and signed longer. 2 hard-throwing young lefties already pitching at the MLB level carries alot of weight these days and Fields, no matter how much people dislike him, still has more value than a minor league mid-range prospect. A deal for Halladay is going to cost the Sox less than what the deal for Peavy did. At least it should.

Peavy is a bigger health risk who is on a bad contract and plays for a team that is desperate to unload his salary. Halladay will cost a lot, but Peavy will be little in comparison. The Jays want Beckham as the centerpiece, and the Pads took Poreda. HUGE difference there.