Halladay Superthread

chisoxfan09

• Replies 779
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (longshot7 @ Jul 14, 2009 -> 05:20 PM)
What if you get a World Series title in the next three seasons? Would that make it worth it?

You won't have Halladay for 3 years. You have him for 2. And that is and always has been a loaded question.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Jul 14, 2009 -> 10:04 PM)
You won't have Halladay for 3 years. You have him for 2. And that is and always has been a loaded question.

Yes, you're right, but you can bet if they trade for him, they're signing him to an extension.

The best rotation in the game in a five or seven game series - likely another WS championship. Trade whoever it takes.

QUOTE (longshot7 @ Jul 15, 2009 -> 03:24 AM)
Yes, you're right, but you can bet if they trade for him, they're signing him to an extension.

The best rotation in the game in a five or seven game series - likely another WS championship. Trade whoever it takes.

Halladay is not good enough to win the White Sox a championship.

They need a healthy CQ, better defense, and a more consistent bullpen.

QUOTE (Kenny Hates Prospects @ Jul 15, 2009 -> 12:46 AM)
Peavy is a bigger health risk who is on a bad contract and plays for a team that is desperate to unload his salary. Halladay will cost a lot, but Peavy will be little in comparison. The Jays want Beckham as the centerpiece, and the Pads took Poreda. HUGE difference there.

Well, they want Drabek as a centerpiece from Philly and the Phils said that's not happening either. They may want Beckham but they aren't getting him. I'm not so convinced that Peavy doesn't have more value to the Sox because of his contract. Halladay is probably going to want a 5 year deal for astronomical dollars and he'll be 33 when that happens. At least Peavy has youth working for him. I'm not saying Peavy is a better pitcher,he's not, but his overall situation is more condusive to the Sox way of dealing with pitchers contracts. It gives them a cost certainty. In the end, i don't think they'll get Halladay or Peavy. KW doesn't seem the type to get into a bidding war and that's probably what Toronto is trying to make happen. I think he'll give his best offer and if that's enough, fine, if not, fine as well.

QUOTE (longshot7 @ Jul 15, 2009 -> 02:24 AM)

The only two things you can do to put yourself in the best position to win a championship is get to the playoffs and have your team set up to win in the playoffs. I'd say the best team in the playoffs is one with atleast 2 very good starting pitchers, 2 capable starting pitchers, a balanced lineup, and, most importantly, a very good bullpen. If acquiring Halladay costs Beckham or Alexei, I'm not sure how balanced the lineup is at that point, and it doesn't guarantee a championship.

Beyond that, you also have to consider the possibility of winning it all in the future too. Which sets you up better for the long-run and gives you the best chance at sustained championship contention, Alexei/Beckham/Floyd, or Halladay?

If you could get Halladay for giving up minor leaguers, I think the Sox would be all over it, but I'm not sure that's the case right now.

QUOTE (knightni @ Jul 15, 2009 -> 12:16 AM)
Whoever gets Halladay will need to be more talented than this Sox roster if they expect him to win the World Series this year for them.

Completely disagree.

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Jul 15, 2009 -> 12:45 AM)
You can't trade either of Danks or Gavin because it defeats the purpose of getting Roy. If that breaks the deal, then so be it.

Completely agree.

The only two things you can do to put yourself in the best position to win a championship is get to the playoffs and have your team set up to win in the playoffs. I'd say the best team in the playoffs is one with atleast 2 very good starting pitchers, 2 capable starting pitchers, a balanced lineup, and, most importantly, a very good bullpen. If acquiring Halladay costs Beckham or Alexei, I'm not sure how balanced the lineup is at that point, and it doesn't guarantee a championship.

Beyond that, you also have to consider the possibility of winning it all in the future too. Which sets you up better for the long-run and gives you the best chance at sustained championship contention, Alexei/Beckham/Floyd, or Halladay?

If you could get Halladay for giving up minor leaguers, I think the Sox would be all over it, but I'm not sure that's the case right now.

Hey WSF, that is the key balance that is the most important factor in this trade scenario. Whether KW and then JR think this combo of any potential package for Halladay fits the strategy of what they are trying to do (It confuses some of us because we think it is a combo of Win now and build for the future). I would rather not myself as I have said now and committed to this that we mortgage the farm for 1.5 years of Halladay. No matter what the cost. Not at Ricciardi's price. Would rather wait for home grown talent, Free Agency, other trades, or even the Cubans. I would rather do it like the Rays and build from within.

QUOTE (chisoxfan09 @ Jul 15, 2009 -> 12:11 PM)
Hey WSF, that is the key balance that is the most important factor in this trade scenario. Whether KW and then JR think this combo of any potential package for Halladay fits the strategy of what they are trying to do (It confuses some of us because we think it is a combo of Win now and build for the future). I would rather not myself as I have said now and committed to this that we mortgage the farm for 1.5 years of Halladay. No matter what the cost. Not at Ricciardi's price. Would rather wait for home grown talent, Free Agency, other trades, or even the Cubans. I would rather do it like the Rays and build from within.

im doing this from a phone and didnt really wanna quote that so disregard that. anyway im not sure if this point has been brought up but if it takes a ram and prospects to get halladay i do that trade in a second for a multitude of reasons. one your.e getting one of the best pitchers in baseball to go on top of one of the best rotations in baseball and it would, in my opinion make our rotation the best hands down. 2. when you trade a ram i think that makes the defense a lot better because you can slide becks to his natural position where he should be a lot better than he is at third and should be an upgrade over lexi. 3. yes lexi has the ability to carry this team offensively but i believe and im sure many of you agree that becks can be just as good as if not better than lexi offensively so your.e not losing much there. 4. the moving of becks to short makes d there better as it does with 3rd base because you get becks out of there and you can plug nix in over there who is a wizard on d. 5. nix has the ability to put up the kind of power numbers lexi did last year and that would be coming out of the bottom of the order, if getz starts hitting like pods him and nix would be a nice lil 8 9 in this lineup. so in conclusion to wrap this all up this trade gives us the best rotation to go along with the bullpen that very well could be the best and this trade also puts a better d out there behind that staff. if it can be done you do it in a second. lexi, dotel, richard, maybe a prospect for roy make it happen

QUOTE (longshot7 @ Jul 14, 2009 -> 05:25 PM)
But isn't a Halladay/Buehrle-anchored rotation almost as good as the Johnson/Schilling one the Dbacks had in 2001? Wouldn't that be enough to put us over the top, the future be damned?

Koufax/Drysdale, Spahn/Sain, Maddux/Glavine, Johnson/Schilling, Buehrle/Halladay . . . oh yeah that sounds about right. Pair the formidable Roy Halladay with a reliable, mid-3 ERA lefty and you have one of if not the greatest starting pitching duo in baseball history.

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Jul 15, 2009 -> 06:56 PM)
Koufax/Drysdale, Spahn/Sain, Maddux/Glavine, Johnson/Schilling, Buehrle/Halladay . . . oh yeah that sounds about right. Pair the formidable Roy Halladay with a reliable, mid-3 ERA lefty and you have one of if not the greatest starting pitching duo in baseball history.

WB!!!!

QUOTE (2nd_city_saint787 @ Jul 15, 2009 -> 01:11 PM)
im doing this from a phone and didnt really wanna quote that so disregard that. anyway im not sure if this point has been brought up but if it takes a ram and prospects to get halladay i do that trade in a second for a multitude of reasons. one your.e getting one of the best pitchers in baseball to go on top of one of the best rotations in baseball and it would, in my opinion make our rotation the best hands down. 2. when you trade a ram i think that makes the defense a lot better because you can slide becks to his natural position where he should be a lot better than he is at third and should be an upgrade over lexi. 3. yes lexi has the ability to carry this team offensively but i believe and im sure many of you agree that becks can be just as good as if not better than lexi offensively so your.e not losing much there. 4. the moving of becks to short makes d there better as it does with 3rd base because you get becks out of there and you can plug nix in over there who is a wizard on d. 5. nix has the ability to put up the kind of power numbers lexi did last year and that would be coming out of the bottom of the order, if getz starts hitting like pods him and nix would be a nice lil 8 9 in this lineup. so in conclusion to wrap this all up this trade gives us the best rotation to go along with the bullpen that very well could be the best and this trade also puts a better d out there behind that staff. if it can be done you do it in a second. lexi, dotel, richard, maybe a prospect for roy make it happen

1) How do you know that Beckham will actually be better than Alexei at SS? Based on the theory he can't be any worse than at 3B? Yes, it's his natural position, but almost every scouting report had him moving to 2B when he was drafted for a reason. What if he's worse, much worse than Alexei? Then you have to play Nix there everyday.

2) Nix isn't a very good hitter at all against RHP...and he's only a plus offensively at 2B/SS, not a corner infielder by any stretch of the imagination. Let's not forget Colorado gave up on him after 8 years because he couldn't hit well enough at 2B in the NL, yet we expect he could somehow be a starting corner infielder in the AL the following season?

If I'm K Dubs, as soon as I hear Beckh... I hang up the phone and make sure JP pays for the long distance. Afterwards, I order 738 XL anchovie pizzas from the most expensive pizza place in the world using *67 to JP's place of residence. Delivery.

Foolish girl... Richard is the highest (in a package of prospects lower than Clay) that I would give for Doc and his 3 1/2 minutes remaining deal. If he wants to keep him, then by all means, let him lose the AL East by eleventy games for years to come. Fool. "BUT FOURTH PLACE IN THE EAST IS AT STAKE". Callate stupid... The Jays won't compete based on what they are dealing with for a while. This alone should knock his demands down.

Edited by Swingandalongonetoleft

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Jul 15, 2009 -> 08:56 PM)

win

Ken Rosenthal still thinks of the Sox want Halladay they will have to part with Beckham. The Phillies have said they are not giving up highly touted prospects. The Angels don't have what the Jays want. IMO its between the White Sox, Dodgers and Yankees. If i'm KW I would make 2 offers and if JP rejects them- time to move on.. .

1) Poreda, Richards, 2 mid level prospects for Halladay

2) Ramirez, Poreda, Richards, Fields, Shelby for Halladay and Rolen (with Rolens contract partially payed for)

QUOTE (GreatScott82 @ Jul 16, 2009 -> 10:25 AM)
Ken Rosenthal still thinks of the Sox want Halladay they will have to part with Beckham. The Phillies have said they are not giving up highly touted prospects. The Angels don't have what the Jays want. IMO its between the White Sox, Dodgers and Yankees. If i'm KW I would make 2 offers and if JP rejects them- time to move on.. .

2) Ramirez, Poreda, Richards, Fields, Shelby for Halladay and Rolen (with Rolens contract partially payed for)

I don't think you can move Ramirez...his contract is too valuable...

The Jays have not gotten any offers that have blown them away, or else you would have heard about them by now...I would balk at moving any starter from the MLB roster...

QUOTE (2nd_city_saint787 @ Jul 15, 2009 -> 12:11 PM)
2. when you trade a ram i think that makes the defense a lot better because you can slide becks to his natural position where he should be a lot better than he is at third and should be an upgrade over lexi. 3. yes lexi has the ability to carry this team offensively but i believe and im sure many of you agree that becks can be just as good as if not better than lexi offensively so your.e not losing much there. 4. the moving of becks to short makes d there better as it does with 3rd base because you get becks out of there and you can plug nix in over there who is a wizard on d. 5. nix has the ability to put up the kind of power numbers lexi did last year and that would be coming out of the bottom of the order,

Beckham made a boatload of errors while PLAYING SS at Birmingham primarily. His fielding needs improvement no matter where he plays. To say he'll be better at SS than Lexi is pure speculation at this point.

All things considered, it will be best to have him at 2B eventually.

Nix can't hit right handed pitching, AT ALL. That makes him ineffective 70% of the time. He's being utilized perfectly right now.

one exec on price for halladay: "I wouldn't trade porcello for him but i'd consider trading joba for him.''

Per Heyman's twitter. If Joba or Price are being dangled than forget about it. Sox couldn't touch that package. Even with Price having his fair share of struggles this season.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jul 16, 2009 -> 01:33 PM)
Per Heyman's twitter. If Joba or Price are being dangled than forget about it. Sox couldn't touch that package. Even with Price having his fair share of struggles this season.

Does he mean the price for Halladay or David Price for him? I didnt think the Rays were connected at all with him.

That wont get it done. Halladay's better than Peavy. In a seven game series Halladay is a huge asset, Peavys an ok one.

If Toronto isnt blown away by Alexei Ramirez (very possible)...then this offer is almost a Rolen giveaway.

We will need to send Flowers, we have to all start getting in touch with that. And thats to even have a chance.

QUOTE (bigruss22 @ Jul 16, 2009 -> 11:38 AM)
Does he mean the price for Halladay or David Price for him? I didnt think the Rays were connected at all with him.
Your probably right, but if the Rays were serious that would be a potentially smart move to make them the world series favorites for these next two years. Losing Price would hurt though.