Halladay Superthread

chisoxfan09

QUOTE (YASNY @ Jul 8, 2009 -> 10:26 AM)
OK, I was reading about Paulie's 3 dingers on the Sox site and I saw this in the comments after the story ... FWIW, from someone named _Dylan_:

Can any Score listeners verify this?

• Replies 779
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Adam G @ Jul 8, 2009 -> 08:53 AM)
I wonder if the Blue Jays will make us take Vernon Wells' awful contract.

Don't remember if I mentioned this in my first post in this thread or not...

Do you guys realize how awful that contract is?

Most of us knew it was big in that it was 7 years 126 million. But it's like the reverse Hossa contract.

25 million was signing bonus but his salary is whats hilarious.

Last season and this season he makes a total salary of 2 million out of that 126. 2 MILLION. Last season was 500k and this season is 1.5.

Next year he makes a gigantic 12.5 million.

He makes 23 mill in 2011 and then 21 mill the next few years after that....What a horrible, horrible contract.

QUOTE (WCSox @ Jul 8, 2009 -> 09:21 AM)
And I get the feeling that he'd be more willing to move away from Toronto than Peavy was to move away from SD.

Not that it means that he'll get anything, but I have no doubt that Kenny has given Ricciardi a call or two over the past week. He'd be a bad GM if he didn't at least try to get a feel for what it'd take to get Halladay.

I would bet based on everything we've heard so far that all 18 GM's of contending teams have given Toronto a call, and at least for now, the price has been "Beckham from Chicago" "Lester from Boston" "Chamberlain from New York" "Rasmus from St. Louis" "Escobar from Milwaukee" "Kershaw from Los Angeles" and so on.

They've got at least 3 weeks to hold out and nothing forces them to make a trade period. Right now, they can afford to wait 2 weeks and see if someone is willing to part with a piece that most teams would consider crazy. The only way he moves to us is if the price drops a fair amount at the end of July, which is somewhat likely...but then the question will be, what do the Blue Jays get offered from other teams?

Don't remember if I mentioned this in my first post in this thread or not...

Do you guys realize how awful that contract is?

Most of us knew it was big in that it was 7 years 126 million. But it's like the reverse Hossa contract.

25 million was signing bonus but his salary is whats hilarious.

Last season and this season he makes a total salary of 2 million out of that 126. 2 MILLION. Last season was 500k and this season is 1.5.

Next year he makes a gigantic 12.5 million.

He makes 23 mill in 2011 and then 21 mill the next few years after that....What a horrible, horrible contract.

Is that comparable the huge bloated super horrible contract the Flubbies gave Soriano to bat .230 and bounce step every fly ball putout he makes? lol

:lolhitting

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jul 8, 2009 -> 09:38 AM)
I would bet based on everything we've heard so far that all 18 GM's of contending teams have given Toronto a call, and at least for now, the price has been "Beckham from Chicago" "Lester from Boston" "Chamberlain from New York" "Rasmus from St. Louis" "Escobar from Milwaukee" "Kershaw from Los Angeles" and so on.

They've got at least 3 weeks to hold out and nothing forces them to make a trade period. Right now, they can afford to wait 2 weeks and see if someone is willing to part with a piece that most teams would consider crazy. The only way he moves to us is if the price drops a fair amount at the end of July, which is somewhat likely...but then the question will be, what do the Blue Jays get offered from other teams?

Yep, Ricciardi will ask for the moon initially and see who bites. I'm pretty sure that Beckham, Lester, Chamberlain, and Kershaw will not be dealt.

The Sox have a fighting chance with Richard and Poreda available, and likely Flowers as well. I don't believe Kenny's statement that attendance will hinder this deal. What WILL keep Halladay out of Chicago would be Kenny (rightly) refusing to deal Beckham, Danks, or Floyd, or another team out-bidding him.

That said, I'm perfectly content if Halladay isn't in a Sox uni at the end of the month. A year and a half isn't that long and, given his age, I don't see the Sox extending him. It might be better to stand pat this time.

Heyman says, "The Jays will want one MLB-ready position player, one top pitching prospect who'll be ready by next year and at least a third top-of-the-line prospect, one competing executive said he heard."

OK...so I'd offer...

Alexei Ramirez

Choice of Poreda and Richard

Your choice of our minor leaguers not named Flowers

And if it happnes this week, he's in a W. Sox uniform for the All-Star game in St. Louis

We cant put Poreda's name out there in the news again. You cant constantly be openly offering him for every ace out there, that kills a player's confidence in their situation.

So i'm not at all surprised KW will go all out to throw off the scent right from the onset.

But at the same time I doubt we can pull it off.

And really I think they still need another bat, I dont like Kenny's comments indicating the lineup is just fine. Just b/c we dont have huge holes anywhere but 2b, it doesnt mean we're 'win now' automatically. we're not.

Edited by Princess Dye

QUOTE (Princess Dye @ Jul 8, 2009 -> 10:36 AM)
We cant put Poreda's name out there in the news again. You cant constantly be openly offering him for every ace out there, that kills a player's confidence in their situation.

I don't understand how a young player's confidence is hurt when he's a bargaining chip for two marquee pitchers. If anything, it sends the message that two teams think quite a bit of him.

Edited by WCSox

But doesnt it become a circus if he's constantly in rumors? Every time an ace hits the market, Poreda will start mentally packing his bags.

Maybe some guys dont let that affect them, but I'd say just b/c they wont admit it to the media, it doesnt mean they always handle it perfectly.

QUOTE (Princess Dye @ Jul 8, 2009 -> 10:41 AM)
But doesnt it become a circus if he's constantly in rumors? Every time an ace hits the market, Poreda will start mentally packing his bags.

Maybe some guys dont let that affect them, but I'd say just b/c they wont admit it to the media, it doesnt mean they always handle it perfectly.

Maybe. But Poreda was only been *confirmed* to be a piece in one deal. The rest is all media conjecture, and that's not going to stop because that's what the media does. ANY highly-touted pitching prospect is going to be the subject of trade rumors.

QUOTE (Tony82087 @ Jul 8, 2009 -> 02:02 PM)
Ya, shutting the door on a trade because of comments Williams made not even really addressing the issue at hand probably isn't the best idea.

The rumors will continue.

I'm just saying, he's going to be using those comments as an excuse for when the Sox don't make a big trade to add a guy or why they traded away a big guy before the deadline. After all, "he told us" ahead of time.

*** Note mark this as the official prediction of this post *** I will have egg on my face if this turns out otherwise. Ricciardi the BJay GM has gone one record via MLBTR thought a New York newspaper that no team will be allowed to have an extended window with Halladay to negotiate a contract extension which to me kills any deal that KW will pursue. I state publicly that KW will not repeat will not trade for Halladay without an extension possibility. As the thread starter I stand by this. To me any attempt to deal with Toronto is dead now. May change if Ricciardi gets between a rock and a hard place come the deadline but I wouldn't pony up our future farm for 1.5 years of Halladay. Like some said better to roll the dice with AA/AAA prospects. Ricciardi knows he holds the chips this early before the deadline but things may change before the 31st.

Link: http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2009/07/ricc...-halladay-.html

:unsure: :gosox4:

Edited by chisoxfan09

QUOTE (chisoxfan09 @ Jul 8, 2009 -> 01:22 PM)
*** Note mark this as the official prediction of this post *** I will have egg on my face if this turns out otherwise. Ricciardi the BJay GM has gone one record via MLBTR thought a New York newspaper that no team will be allowed to have an extended window with Halladay to negotiate a contract extension which to me kills any deal that KW will pursue. I state publicly that KW will not repeat will not trade for Halladay without an extension possibility. As the thread starter I stand by this. To me any attempt to deal with Toronto is dead now. May change if Ricciardi gets between a rock and a hard place come the deadline but I wouldn't pony up our future farm for 1.5 years of Halladay. Like some said better to roll the dice with AA/AAA prospects. Ricciardi knows he holds the chips this early before the deadline but things may change before the 31st.

Link: http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2009/07/ricc...-halladay-.html

:unsure: :gosox4:

Yea but we can go round and round.

If it's only for 1.5 years, then other teams' competing offers wont be that staggering either.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jul 8, 2009 -> 01:33 PM)
The Brewers gave up Matt LaPorta for 0.75 of a year of CC Sabathia.

I personally think a deal with Poreda and Flowers in it can be competitive and doesnt destroy us.

Poreda and Richard got it done for a big name guy (who albeit had 3.80 ish ERA in the NL). Granted there was a little more of a lame duck situation with Peavy. But Peavy's younger than Halladay too.

Edited by Princess Dye

Somebody mentioned trading Alexeii. I don't think I'd do that in a trade for a pitcher. Lexi is a pretty special hitter. Now if he could do a tad better the first six weeks of the season, he'd REALLY be something but he's pretty damn electric.

There's talk about the Bedard deal as being a comparison.

Sherrill

Jones > Flowers, but Flowers' stock is rising so that gap could be closing

Tillman > Hudson, but again Hudson's stock is rising and Tillman wasn't as big of a prospect at the time of the deal as he is now

Kam Mickolio

Tony Butler... don't know if we have a comparable here, maybe Leesman?

So would you deal Flowers + Poreda + Hudson + Jones + Leesman for Halladay? I would if I thought we had a good chance of working out an extension over the offseason. Making the playoffs would definitely help our cause, and with Halladay, I think we do that.

Does anyone else get the irritating feeling that Floyd would either be involved in this deal or (more likely) shipped elsewhere to save a little dough back?

Actually i suppose to save $ in the current year maybe Contreras would be out for prospects? In a playoff series Jose would be a reliever, and has shown disdain for bullpen work in the past

Edited by Princess Dye

QUOTE (Princess Dye @ Jul 8, 2009 -> 02:33 PM)
Does anyone else get the irritating feeling that Floyd would either be involved in this deal or (more likely) shipped elsewhere to save a little dough back?

Actually i suppose to save $ in the current year maybe Contreras would be out for prospects?

I was just going to say Jose would probably be moved 1st if possible to save money....