Halladay Superthread

chisoxfan09

QUOTE (chisoxfan09 @ Jul 16, 2009 -> 01:57 PM)
Mods I am curious as this thread has potentially 2 weeks of life left in it. What is the largest or longest running thread? By largest I mean in number of views and posts?

We've had threads with posts WELL over 1000.

• Replies 779
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jul 16, 2009 -> 01:47 PM)
Your probably right, but if the Rays were serious that would be a potentially smart move to make them the world series favorites for these next two years. Losing Price would hurt though.

If the Rays trade Price for Halladay their GM really f'd up by trading Jackson. I still am not sure why they made that trade.

QUOTE (chisoxfan09 @ Jul 16, 2009 -> 03:00 PM)
Kewl, I did not expect to last this long or grow this large to be honest as I did not and do not see the Sox as players in this sweepstakes.

That's because here at Soxtalk, we like to drag topics into the ground. When some story is long dead, we're still hopeful and posting! ;)

There is no rumor about David Price from the Rays.

I think Heyman meant THE price, or in other words, the cost, of acquiring Halladay. The exec mentions Joba Chamberlain and Rick Porcello. I don't think this has anything to do with the Rays or David Price.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jul 16, 2009 -> 12:47 PM)
It was talked about here over the winter.

I think that was rumored. If the Sox offered Dye and we didn't get Jackson than the Rays GM is the dumbest GM alive. Because what they got was a lot less than Jermaine Dye for Edwin Jackson.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jul 16, 2009 -> 03:24 PM)
I think that was rumored. If the Sox offered Dye and we didn't get Jackson than the Rays GM is the dumbest GM alive. Because what they got was a lot less than Jermaine Dye for Edwin Jackson.

He also cost $10 million per year less or more, which is a large consideration these days.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jul 16, 2009 -> 02:24 PM)

I'm sure they'd be loving his production right now...however, they may have thought signing Burrell was the better solution given that they could pay him less and not have to give up a guy like Jackson for him...

But you're right...who knows if that discussion actually took place or not...

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jul 16, 2009 -> 01:30 PM)
He also cost $10 million per year less or more, which is a large consideration these days.

But that trade I speak of was also never offered. Money is a factor yes, but they did go out and sign Burrell. The Edwin Jackson stuff was more or less speculation by Soxtalk.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jul 16, 2009 -> 03:34 PM)
But that trade I speak of was also never offered. Money is a factor yes, but they did go out and sign Burrell. The Edwin Jackson stuff was more or less speculation by Soxtalk.

I've seen that a few places. Somewhere, I think on a Rays board, it was said that the Sox and Rays had discussions about Dye for Jackson but the Sox nixed it because they wanted more, while the Rays only wanted to give up Jackson.

In hindsight, if the Sox could have thrown in a relief prospect or something and gotten the Rays to agree to Jackson + Niemann for Dye that would have turned out gold. Even though Dye has been terrific, getting those two guys would have set up our rotation for the future. We probably would have brought in Abreu too if that were the case.

QUOTE (Jenksy Cat @ Jul 17, 2009 -> 07:26 AM)
Abreu = Dye - HR + SB - 5 million$.

If we could have gotten Jackson and signed Abreu, that would have been a monster move.

If...

Let's see if the 2nd coming can survive the 2nd half this year first. Either way, I like our uber number 3 hitter for now, as well as hopefully the future.

Hi all, not much going on. ON MLBTR they reference a new article from ESPN Insider (I know I know) saying how KW will at least make a bid. Not much else going on. Really slow week. Anyone have the Insider account? Just looking to see what they say in a paraphrase.

QUOTE (chisoxfan09 @ Jul 17, 2009 -> 01:03 PM)
Hi all, not much going on. ON MLBTR they reference a new article from ESPN Insider (I know I know) saying how KW will at least make a bid. Not much else going on. Really slow week. Anyone have the Insider account? Just looking to see what they say in a paraphrase.

Basically say that KW is "under the radar." But they mentioned a package of Richard, Poreda, Flowers and Viciedo, but then go on to say that won't get it done and that the Sox don't have what the Jays would want considering Slayer is untouchable. So, really...they are saying nothing.

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Jul 17, 2009 -> 01:33 AM)
If...

Let's see if the 2nd coming can survive the 2nd half this year first. Either way, I like our uber number 3 hitter for now, as well as hopefully the future.

If....Dye has to keep it up too, which remains to be seen. I still would have rather had an extra 5 mil and Jackson cheap for the next few years.

Edited by Jenksy Cat