Halladay Superthread

chisoxfan09

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jul 20, 2009 -> 04:32 PM)
I don't think Poreda's stock went down because of one game. For the most part he's been pretty good and as expected, imo.

I think the big thing missing is his fastball's been a bit slower than advertised.

• Replies 779
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jul 20, 2009 -> 04:32 PM)
Lance Broadway was evidently one of them and it sounds as if Hudson was on the list of guys they could have received.

So basically it was Hudson, Richard, and Poreda for Peavy?

I can see why they'd do it, but we still lucked out on the injury.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jul 21, 2009 -> 12:33 AM)

The thing is, that injury happened in the game after he declined the trade and it was from running the bases. If he accepts the trade, that injury never happens.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jul 20, 2009 -> 06:33 PM)

well the injury occured when he was running the bases. You could argue that it wouldn't of happened here.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jul 20, 2009 -> 06:32 PM)
I don't think Poreda's stock went down because of one game. For the most part he's been pretty good and as expected, imo.

I agree, his stock kind of is what it is and will stay there for a little barring injury. Any scout worth their salt wouldn't put a ton of stock in a few average or bad outings of a guy who's never came out of the pen before and one of the outings was after an extended layoff due to the all star break.

Ricciardi is the new Chuck LaMarr apparently. If he keeps asking for the moon, he is going to end up with nothing

Yahoo's Tim Brown hears that the Blue Jays will model possible trades after the Erik Bedard deal- only they want more.

Matt Cerrone of MetsBlog

heard from four baseball people who all believe Omar Minaya would have agreed to deal Fernando Martinez, Bobby Parnell, Jon Niese and Ruben Tejada for Halladay.
Edited by KyYlE23

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jul 20, 2009 -> 06:32 PM)
I think the big thing missing is his fastball's been a bit slower than advertised.

Why haven't people caught on to the reason? The Sox take speed off of their pitchers to get them into a repeatable arm slot that still preserves their movement on their pitchers. It is why every single pitcher we get loses velocity here, and regains it elsewhere. It also seems to do wonders to prevent injuries, because when was the last Tommy John or shoulder surgery you remember a Sox major league pitcher getting?

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jul 21, 2009 -> 11:35 AM)
Why haven't people caught on to the reason? The Sox take speed off of their pitchers to get them into a repeatable arm slot that still preserves their movement on their pitchers. It is why every single pitcher we get loses velocity here, and regains it elsewhere. It also seems to do wonders to prevent injuries, because when was the last Tommy John or shoulder surgery you remember a Sox major league pitcher getting?

Andy Sisco.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jul 21, 2009 -> 09:35 AM)

I'm fine with them doing that...as long as the end result is actually they're controlling the pitch. He wasn't doing either.

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Jul 21, 2009 -> 11:58 AM)
Then you have Nick Masset who this season has seen his fastball velocity rise, horizontal movement drop and control rise. His WHIP is down 0.620 from last year and a full 1.040 from '07.

What has happened to Nick Masset this year is impossible to explain. Maybe he's on something because there is no number or video of him pitching in our organization that would suggest he was capable of it. Or maybe the NL is just that bad.

Edited by whitesoxfan101

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jul 21, 2009 -> 12:02 PM)
We do have a real habit over the years of having guys stall at the AAAA level who go on to be solid relievers with other teams, don't we?

We've had some, but Masset's stuff actually has looked a lot better this year too, which I can't remember happening. Makes you wonder.

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Jul 21, 2009 -> 10:46 AM)
Andy Sisco.

Don't know how many of these guys actually had TJ surgery...

Lorenzo Barcelo

Jim Parque

Jason Stumm

Corwin Malone

Danny Wright

Jon Rauch (labrum)

Rocky Biddle

Bobby Howry

Kelly Wunsch

James Baldwin

Mike Sirotka

Kyle Kane

Kris Honel

Brian West

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jul 21, 2009 -> 11:02 AM)
We do have a real habit over the years of having guys stall at the AAAA level who go on to be solid relievers with other teams, don't we?

Rauch

Majewski

Frank Francisco (wouldn't describe him as stalled, though)

Aardsma

Javier Lopez with Boston

Masset

MacDougal

Jesus Pena (joking)

Chad Bradford

Josh Fogg

Rocky Biddle

Masset was touted as a hard thrower before we got him. Perhaps Coop wanted him to sacrifice velocity for control and it just wasnt a good fit for NM

Also, to those talking about a "baconless world" - i think there's no way KW trades Beckham, that's too cheap an asset for too many years. Brings people to the stadium as well as production, it's exactly the kind of guy JR doesnt want to let go of in his pre-arb years.

i would think that our best all-minor-leaguers offer would have a chance. the market seems to not be where the Jays want it right now.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jul 21, 2009 -> 12:14 PM)
Don't know how many of these guys actually had TJ surgery...

Lorenzo Barcelo

Jim Parque

Jason Stumm

Corwin Malone

Danny Wright

Jon Rauch (labrum)

Rocky Biddle

Bobby Howry

Kelly Wunsch

James Baldwin

Mike Sirotka

Kyle Kane

Kris Honel

Brian West

All labrum issues IIRC, and pretty much all of them on Nardi Contreras' watch. Kind of hard to blame Contreras or Cooper for Kane, Honel, West, and Malone though since they pretty much all never saw the majors.