Mid-Season FutureSox Top 25 Prospects

NorthSideSox72

Welcome to the mid-season edition of the FutureSox Top 25 Prospects list. This time we ratings from 9 posters who are closest to the minor league action, which are netted out to give us the amalgamated list you see below. the numbers in parens are the number of #1 votes, and the *** represents a player (Trayce Thompson) not yet signed, but reflects where he'd be assuming he does in fact sign (we did this as he seems like a likely signing - if he doesn't, others below move up). The list of "others receiving votes" is in order of how many votes/points they got.

For more info on the list, go to the FutureSox main page for player profiles, or visit the AAP Thread area for further background on many of these players. Between the two areas, we have a wealth of information available on White Sox prospects unparalleled anywhere on the web.

Here it is...

1. Tyler Flowers, C (5)

2. Dayan Viciedo, 3B (3)

3. Jordan Danks, OF (1)

4. Dan Hudson, SP

5. Jared Mitchell, OF

6. Dexter Carter, SP

7. John Shelby III, OF

8. Josh Phegley, C

9. Brian Omogrosso, SP/RP

10. Charlie Shirek, SP

11. C.J. Retherford, 3B/2B

12. Nathan Jones, RP

13. Trayce Thompson, OF***

14. Jon Link, RP

15. Carlos Torres, SP

16. Lucas Harrell, SP

17. Steven Upchurch, SP

18. Brent Morel, 3B

19. Justin Greene, OF

20. John Ely, SP

21. Charlie Leesman, SP

22. Jon Gilmore, 3B

23. Stephen Sauer, SP

24. Stefan Gartrell, OF

25. Jack Egbert, SP

Others receiving votes (in order of votes): Jhonny Nunez, Gregory Infante, David Holmberg, Christian Marrero, Clevelan Santeliz, Derek Rodriguez, Santos Rodriguez, Matt Heidenreich, David Cook, Nevin Griffith, Jeff Marquez, Jose Martinez, Justin Edwards, Fernando Hernandez, Dale Mollenhauer, Jacob Rasner, Drew O’Neill, Eduardo Escobar, Dan Remenowsky, Josh Kroeger, Ryan Buch, Tyson Corley, Justin Cassel, Kyle Bellamy, Daniel Black

Credit to our nine poll voters: Chisoxfn, Heads22, danman31, SoxFan1, NorthSideSox72, scenario, Ozzie Ball, JPN336 and Kenny Hates Prospects.

Man, FutureSox just keeps getting better and better. It seems there's a pretty wide variance in rankings after the top few guys, but unless Kenny goes nuts trading prospects again, we should have a pretty clear top-10 or 15 by this time next year.

I noticed I didn't even rank Morel. I guess I was still kind of mad at the Sox for taking him so high. But, I just looked at his numbers and realized that was a mistake.

Over his minor league career, which almost adds up to one full season of play, Morel has hit:

.291/.352/.455 with 24 2B, 5 3B, 17 HR, 76 RBI in 519 AB. What's really interesting is the 29-for-35 in SB attempts, plus the good walk rate and low K rate (47 BB, 70K).

So my bad. I basically stopped paying attention to the guy, but should have ranked him much, much higher. Maybe the Joe Randa comparisons aren't off-base, although he would seem to be a more athletic version of Randa by the SB totals. It's pretty unusual for a natural 3B (not a Chone Figgins type) to steal 30+ bags in a season.

QUOTE (gatnom @ Jul 14, 2009 -> 11:18 PM)
I'm a little surprised that Viciedo was ranked that high. I would have expected him to be a couple spots down because of his disappointing season thus far.

Remember his age. There are only 7 players in the entire Sox minor league system younger than Viciedo. Six of them are in Bristol... the other one in Kannapolis.

Morel is kind of a weird case for me. I had him a little big higher than most, but I don't think he is great prospect. He is still in his first full pro season and at Winston-Salem so that is notable, but nothing in his tools or production makes me think I should expect a lot more. That said, a little below his current production in the Majors in a few years with the defense he supposedly plays could be useful.

As for Viciedo, I love him. He is struggling now and was overhyped in terms of Major League readiness, but still remains one of the best prospects for his age. His bat speed is still damn good and he has shown he can hit power to the opposite field. He needs to improve no doubt, but he is 20. I don't see why he wouldn't get a lot better and he has shown improvement as the season has gone on. It's not like he has had this same line all season. He is getting better, even if slowly. A 21 year-old that mashes AA is usually a big prospect and I don't see why he couldn't do that next year if the Sox have him repeat.

If anyone is curious, I was the person that had Jordan Danks as the #1 prospect. I think Flowers is the more sure thing (cause he's got a major league bat) but I love Danks all around athleticism and his ability to play a plus CF.

And as always I think you guys will notice that this years draft picks are ranked lower than they will probably be a few months from now but that is kind of consistent with the way we've always done our evaluations since we've gotten zero production out of them. Mitchell slots into a pretty fair spot currently since he's still a ways from the majors but has great tools while a guy like Trayce Thompson or the Holmbergs of the world could really shoot up the lists if they make names for themselves (and of course in Trayce's cause sign).

And if I were to highlight some guys not in the top 8 or so prospects with a shot of reaching those ranks (or higher), it would be:

Charlie Shirek - Good sink and good velo

Charlie Leesman - Plus FB for a lefty

Tracye Thompson - A tools shed (very raw)

Stephen UpChurch - Very nice package of pitches for a youngster (2nd season)

John Gilmore - Tons of power potential and good tools but production doesn't match

Brent Morel - I hated his pick so I hate on him, but the Randa comparisons might be legit

Nathan Jones - Plus Plus Curve; Plus Velocity on FB; Improving control, not so repeatable delivery

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jul 15, 2009 -> 11:26 AM)
And if I were to highlight some guys not in the top 8 or so prospects with a shot of reaching those ranks (or higher), it would be:

Charlie Shirek - Good sink and good velo

Charlie Leesman - Plus FB for a lefty

Tracye Thompson - A tools shed (very raw)

Stephen UpChurch - Very nice package of pitches for a youngster (2nd season)

John Gilmore - Tons of power potential and good tools but production doesn't match

Brent Morel - I hated his pick so I hate on him, but the Randa comparisons might be legit

Nathan Jones - Plus Plus Curve; Plus Velocity on FB; Improving control, not so repeatable delivery

Ha, I'm glad you said that as noticed I was the one to rank Leesman and Jones the highest, also had Upchurch at 10 and the highest he was ranked was 9.

Also really like Matt Heidenreich and Justin Jones so far, hope Jones signs. I should have definitely put Shirek higher, but Gilmore I think we've got to wait on. He's been very inconsistent and is still a butcher at 3B. Gilmore should repeat at Kanny next year so hopefully he starts hitting when he's there. He's still only 20 so it's okay for him to repeat a couple levels if he has to.

QUOTE (OilCan @ Jul 15, 2009 -> 12:27 PM)
Given Brian Omogrosso's struggles at Charlotte, why is he even rated in the top 10?

Because it's been a grand total of 5.2 IP. Pitchers go in slumps like hitters. You can't ignore what a player has done for practically his whole minor league career because of a cop of coffee so far in AAA.

QUOTE (BearSox @ Jul 15, 2009 -> 12:31 PM)
Because it's been a grand total of 5.2 IP. Pitchers go in slumps like hitters. You can't ignore what a player has done for practically his whole minor league career because of a cop of coffee so far in AAA.

Yeah. I think he's a reliever but he's definitely got a Major League arm and he is close. As it stands right now, outside of Flowers/Danks/Viciedo/Hudson/Mitchell I think you can make a case for a lot of guys to fill out that top-10 or top-15.

Omogrosso was in the rotation to build up his secondary stuff. Hopefully he's been able to do it cause he's got nice velocity on his fastball for a reliever. I think he has a good shot at projecting as a middle to back of the pen type of guy. I'd put him a bit above Link and Nunez in terms of relief prospects in our organization.

If we sign Bryan Morgado where would he rank? i think a LHP with a mid 90's Fastball and improved command and some complimentary pitches that appear to be further along than Poreda would be high on the rankings no?

QUOTE (beautox @ Jul 15, 2009 -> 03:04 PM)
If we sign Bryan Morgado where would he rank? i think a LHP with a mid 90's Fastball and improved command and some complimentary pitches that appear to be further along than Poreda would be high on the rankings no?

He was discussed, and yes, he'd probably bein the Top 25 if he signs. But in general, when doing our lists, we only looked at guys who were signed, or we thought were very close to signing (Thompson). There is obviously some guess work there.

QUOTE (Kenny Hates Prospects @ Jul 15, 2009 -> 12:15 PM)
Ha, I'm glad you said that as noticed I was the one to rank Leesman and Jones the highest, also had Upchurch at 10 and the highest he was ranked was 9.

Nah, you were the high range on Upchurch too haha. It's fine though, we have varying opinions and philosophies when it comes to rankings and I think that makes it better. It ends up being a pretty conservative list because the guys that are on most of the lists are higher regardless of where they are ranked on the list.

QUOTE (Kenny Hates Prospects @ Jul 15, 2009 -> 12:36 PM)
As it stands right now, outside of Flowers/Danks/Viciedo/Hudson/Mitchell I think you can make a case for a lot of guys to fill out that top-10 or top-15.

Yeah, there isn't a clear cut 2nd tier yet.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jul 15, 2009 -> 09:21 PM)
Here is the question... how many of those guys make their major league debuts in a uniform other than a Sox one, and who is the highest ranking one to do so?

I'll go with a reliever because we've got some guys pretty close. I don't know who because Kenny loves both relievers with sink and power arms, and whoever we trade as a reliever is probably going to fit one of those descriptions.