Collections

Texsox

SHIPPS has BR movies, I have books. Lots of books, everywhere, some really stupid ones that typically my ex wife would buy for me. Anyone want a copy of The Preppie Handbook?

What do you collect or waste your money on?

I guess rum is my current collection/obsession. I grew up on beer and craft beer is still dear to me, but 20 years in the subtropics has turned me into a rum head

I simply can't stand going out to most bars and trying to order a rum cocktail or classic tiki drink when I see the two bottles of rum they have behind the bar. I currently have 23 different rums on hand at home and still don't quite have everything I need to match the perfect rum with the perfect cocktail. Nor do I have nearly enough fine sippers.

I'm down to a single type of aged Martinique rum right now, and only have one Demerara on hand, so that's kind of embarrassing.

And no. That doesn't make me a alcoholic. There are other factors I blame that on.

:unsure:

Coins and antiques.

Not just any coins though, I prefer ancient stuff. Some of the stuff I have are from:

-Elizabeth I (1580's)

-Stephen Bathory of Poland (1570's)...he was the uncle of Elizabeth Bathory

-Constantius III

-Trajan

-Hadrian

-Napoleon III (1860's)

-Also have a couple Nazi coins

Also I have a few amulets from ancient Egypt dated around 400BC. Two are blue faience, not sure of the other (a scarab). One of the amulets is Anubis, the other is some dwarf god whose name escapes me right now.

My collecting s*** days have passed. I used to spend too much on baseball cards, dvds, video games, etc.

Now, I buy a few movies here and there, don't collect sports cards at all, and cycle out my video games by trading them in.

I guess I now collect experiences and memories in the form of sporting events and booze at bars and parties pretty much every weekend...

QUOTE (FlaSoxxJim @ Jul 15, 2009 -> 12:39 PM)
I guess rum is my current collection/obsession. I grew up on beer and craft beer is still dear to me, but 20 years in the subtropics has turned me into a rum head

I simply can't stand going out to most bars and trying to order a rum cocktail or classic tiki drink when I see the two bottles of rum they have behind the bar. I currently have 23 different rums on hand at home and still don't quite have everything I need to match the perfect rum with the perfect cocktail. Nor do I have nearly enough fine sippers.

I'm down to a single type of aged Martinique rum right now, and only have one Demerara on hand, so that's kind of embarrassing.

And no. That doesn't make me a alcoholic. There are other factors I blame that on.

:unsure:

I love Rum. What's your favorite? I bought some rum in the Domincan last summer that was great. Also, surprisingly, I tried a rum on my cruise that was a Captain Morgan brand actually but aged about 20 years that was phenomenal. It had subtle hints of vanilla that was just great. I don't normally drink rum straight but that was too good to mix.

QUOTE (ChiSox_Sonix @ Jul 15, 2009 -> 12:57 PM)
I love Rum. What's your favorite? I bought some rum in the Domincan last summer that was great. Also, surprisingly, I tried a rum on my cruise that was a Captain Morgan brand actually but aged about 20 years that was phenomenal. It had subtle hints of vanilla that was just great. I don't normally drink rum straight but that was too good to mix.

Favorite rum is sorta like favorite child for me, but some of my favorites are. . .

Sippers:

El Dorado 15 year Demerara

Ron Botran 8 year solara

Zaya 12

Ron Zacapa 23 solara

Oronoco (brillian Brazillian white)

Martinique:

St. James Royal Ambre

Rhum Clement

Mixers:

Appleton Estate Reserve

Rhum Barbancourt

Coruba

Goslings (a must for Dark and Stormys)

Pussers Navy 95.5 proof (a must for painkillers)

Cruzan Blackstrap

Cruzan white

El Dorado 5 year

Give me those rums in my cabinet, along with juices and mixers, and I'm a happy camper.

I don't really "collect" anything.

I buy the things I want -- but not in mass quantities...like I own a bike, a tv...etc...but I don't really collect "things" these days. I have hundreds upon hundreds of DVD's from yesteryear, but these days I don't bother with things like that.

I guess you can say I collect stocks these days, but that's not really a waste of money, but still...it's a collection. :D

QUOTE (Y2HH @ Jul 15, 2009 -> 02:15 PM)
I don't really "collect" anything.

I buy the things I want -- but not in mass quantities...like I own a bike, a tv...etc...but I don't really collect "things" these days. I have hundreds upon hundreds of DVD's from yesteryear, but these days I don't bother with things like that.

I guess you can say I collect stocks these days, but that's not really a waste of money, but still...it's a collection. :D

Heh. You sure about that?

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Jul 15, 2009 -> 02:20 PM)
Heh. You sure about that?

I'm positive.

I'm UP on the year. :D As a matter of fact, I've outpaced the S&P 500 by over 8% since the downturn. And for the sake of being honest -- I'm not taking credit for that like it was all skill, because I know in some ways, I was lucky, but whatever the case may be, it worked out well!

Edited by Y2HH

QUOTE (Y2HH @ Jul 15, 2009 -> 02:22 PM)
I'm positive.

I'm UP on the year. :D As a matter of fact, I've outpaced the S&P 500 by over 8% since the downturn. And for the sake of being honest -- I'm not taking credit for that like it was all skill, because I know in some ways, I was lucky, but whatever the case may be, it worked out well!

I was really just being facetious. And in fact, I just looked, and I'm up on the year pretty much straight across as well. Last year sucked, though. I felt like Dorothy with the slippers - just keep saying "its a buying opportunity", over and over again.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Jul 15, 2009 -> 02:38 PM)
I was really just being facetious. And in fact, I just looked, and I'm up on the year pretty much straight across as well. Last year sucked, though. I felt like Dorothy with the slippers - just keep saying "its a buying opportunity", over and over again.

I didn't do all that bad through all of this, even with the downturn. I have a lot of stuff that didn't move much. I only wish I had more cash on hand after the fall, there was so many things to buy, but I only got a few of them. I didn't panic sell anything, though...which is the biggest mistake a person could have made.

I USED to collect baseball cards. Spent way too much on them. Then I bought a new house in 2005 and those days are over. I still have them all, as well as the stamp collection I had back in my younger days. I still buy book, however. Mostly used, some new. Need more shelf space!

QUOTE (GoSox05 @ Jul 15, 2009 -> 01:44 PM)
I collect records. Nothing really worth any money, but like hard to find stuff.

Records here too. A few years back I sold lots on eBay and made some pretty good money. I still have thousands and hardly listen to 'em any more. I recently moved and it's a pain in the a$$ moving countless numbers of boxes of albums.

I used to collect baseball cards pretty seriously but don't buy too much any more.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Jul 15, 2009 -> 02:38 PM)

Warren Buffett :wub: you!

Got away from video games, baseball cards, action figures, and have cooled down on movies, but I still drop a pretty penny on Sox jerseys

Thome Road Authentic

Jenks Home Authentic

Buehrle Home Green Pinstripe Authentic

1985 Home pullover jersey

Dick Allen 1972 Home Red Pinstripe Mitchell and Ness

Nellie Fox 1959 Home Pinstripe Mitchell and Ness

Frank Thomas 1994 Spring Training St. Patrick's Day Mitchell and Ness

Would've landed a 1960 Nellie Fox Road Jersey and Luis Aparicio 1968 Road jersey had my brother awaken a little bit earlier to take advantage of a B1G1 sale at MLB.com

Had some other cooperstown designer jerseys but gave them to my dad.

These days I guess I also collect rum drink recipes. Tiki. . . Caribbean. . . faux tropical, etc., my myxology is decidedly and almost entirely rum-centric.

A rule of thumb I try to stick with in figuring out which rums I need to keep on hand with limited cabinet space and budget is that I need to have three well-balanced, go-to drink recipes for each rum on-hand (sippers excluded) otherwise it's not worth keeping around. That has actually become a fun challenge, particularly for in-your-face rums like Cruzan Blackstrap or Wray and Nephew Overproof. I think I may have found my third cocktail for the Wray and Nephew (If I have one too many I'll probably be posting the recipe in the drunk thread). Amazing that a country like Jamaica with world-class rums like Appleton Reserve and Extra and Coruba actually actually reports 90% of domestic consumption is the W&N Overproof because it's a pretty harsh rum unless you find the right punch to match it to.