Rosenthal says we could be interested in Rios.

Jimmywins1

The teams have not recently discussed Rios, but the idea could become more attractive to the Sox if left fielder Carlos Quentin fails to make an adequate recovery from plantar fasciitis in his left foot.

Rios, 27, would play center for the Sox under that scenario, with Scott Podsednik remaining in left. True, Rios is guaranteed approximately $60 million from 2010 to '14. But the Jays could assume some of that burden to receive better prospects — and the White Sox are on the verge of gaining financial flexibility.

It's an interesting read, he goes on to say that Rios would play CF for us and that the Sox may not be scared of his salary with Dye, Thome and Contreras coming off the books.

If the Jays ate about half of his contract and it didn't cost us too much, I wouldn't be opposed to it.

Rios has been a solid hitter in the past, playing at a place like the Cell might help him out, he's still young and he'd solve that CF problem for us.

The contract is ugly, but I think it'd be a solid idea to at least inquire about him.

Edited by Jimmywins1

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I certainly don't think he's the guy from 06 and 07 when he OPS'd .865 and .852, but I don't think it's a stretch to say he could bounce back to the 08 version who OPS'd .798 and stole 32 bases.

If the Jays ate contract, I'd go for him. Give Q the time to heal and lock down CF with an at least average player.

To me, one of Rolen, Rios or Wells is going with Halladay if Halladay gets traded. Rolen would be ideal given the situation right now, but I wouldnt be opposed to Rios. Wells is the black plague though, that contract is going to kill someone in the next couple of years, I really hope its not the sox

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jul 16, 2009 -> 05:20 PM)
The only reason he'd make sense this season is if Q simply can't go at all.

Frankly though, his numbers have been marching downwards for 4 seasons.

Plus we would be looking at taking on an outrageous salary of a declining player rather than sign our own top performers? Financial felxibility gained by the loss of three key members of our team and we take on one Blue Jay who has been slipping every year doesn't quite seem right to me.

QUOTE (whitesoxfan101 @ Jul 16, 2009 -> 12:29 PM)
Jeremy Hermida is a guy I think we're going to have much more interest in than Rios.

If we could get him for a guy like Dotel, I'd be all for it, but I wouldn't give up much for him.

Hermida is simply dreadful in the outfield, and it'd require us sticking Prancer in CF. I don't like that idea.

QUOTE (elrockinMT @ Jul 16, 2009 -> 09:28 AM)
Plus we would be looking at taking on an outrageous salary of a declining player rather than sign our own top performers? Financial felxibility gained by the loss of three key members of our team and we take on one Blue Jay who has been slipping every year doesn't quite seem right to me.

I don't know if I'd complain about the salary at all, if I didn't have to give up much to get him. But with the guy putting up a 91 OPS+ this season, an OPS around .730, he's not even as effective as podsednik right now.

If we're talking about gambling on picking a guy with a bad contract for absolutely nothing because he can fill a hole that is appearing in our OF next season on the off chance he'll return to form, I can live with that. 1 horrible contract won't kill us long-term, and there's always some chance he could return to form and we can renew the Rios for Lincecum talks the Jays were having a few years back (Seriously, LOL).

But I'm not giving up anything of value for him with that contract. They can have Dubee, that's it (do we still have him?). And I'm not trading for him mid-season if there's any chance I can get Quentin back before Sept. 1.

QUOTE (wilmot825 @ Jul 16, 2009 -> 12:04 PM)
How about Mark Teahan? He's a hybrid player, plus there is a thread for him already.

Teahen's been much better than Rios this year and he's much cheaper.

He's the better option here.

QUOTE (chw42 @ Jul 16, 2009 -> 01:02 PM)
Teahen's been much better than Rios this year and he's much cheaper.

He's the better option here.

But probably more expensive in terms of what the Sox would have to give up.

QUOTE (Jimmywins1 @ Jul 16, 2009 -> 11:18 AM)
It's an interesting read, he goes on to say that Rios would play CF for us and that the Sox may not be scared of his salary with Dye, Thome and Contreras coming off the books.

If the Jays ate about half of his contract and it didn't cost us too much, I wouldn't be opposed to it.

Rios has been a solid hitter in the past, playing at a place like the Cell might help him out, he's still young and he'd solve that CF problem for us.

The contract is ugly, but I think it'd be a solid idea to at least inquire about him.

I don't buy it because I don't see the White Sox taking on his contract, not to mention that his production has fallen off.

I just heard about 3 analysts predict the Sox to win the division today.. . Should be a pretty cool 2nd half of the season regardless. As far as the Sox and Rios? No way in hell. If KW takes on a mega contract, it would have to be for a starting pitcher. If we are going to add to the offense, why not go after David Dejesus? KC has put Dejesus and Teahen out on the market. His numbers are alittle down this year but he could be a great asset down the stretch. He would have to split time in the OF with Pods, Dye and CQ but im sure Ozzie could find a way to plug him in there.

QUOTE (GreatScott82 @ Jul 16, 2009 -> 02:28 PM)
I just heard about 3 analysts predict the Sox to win the division today.. . Should be a pretty cool 2nd half of the season regardless. As far as the Sox and Rios? No way in hell. If KW takes on a mega contract, it would have to be for a starting pitcher. If we are going to add to the offense, why not go after David Dejesus? KC has put Dejesus and Teahen out on the market. His numbers are alittle down this year but he could be a great asset down the stretch. He would have to split time in the OF with Pods, Dye and CQ but im sure Ozzie could find a way to plug him in there.

DeJesus has always been an under the radar type player.....I think Teahan is a bit overhyped, but that is what happens when there isn't much out there.

I'd much rather have Teahen as he can play a lot more positions and has been a better hitter this year.

If we're thinking more down the road, I'd go with DeJesus.

When Minnesota's second half schedule looks about as easy as the Bulls' second half schedule, I find that hard to believe.

QUOTE (CanOfCorn @ Jul 16, 2009 -> 01:20 PM)
But probably more expensive in terms of what the Sox would have to give up.

Probably not...

We'll be handcuffed financially if we get Rios and I'm betting the Jays will be asking for a decent return.

With Teahen, we can give them 2-3 mediocre prospects and he'd be ours.

QUOTE (chw42 @ Jul 16, 2009 -> 02:38 PM)
Probably not...

We'll be handcuffed financially if we get Rios and I'm betting the Jays will be asking for a decent return.

With Teahen, we can give them 2-3 mediocre prospects and he'd be ours.

If we get money with his contract, we will give up something decent. If we take his contract, we could get him for nothing. Heck we could probably claim him off of waivers soon enough if we really wanted him.

As for Teahen, I doubt he will be as cheap as you think. Its hard to find a guy that does as much as he does and still has a decent bat.

Sorry - didnt finish up my post above. Someone walked into the office and I paniced and sent the post away.

I'd like to get Rios at a discount if possible. He is still pretty Young. I think he could thrive in our lineup which is much better then Toronto's has been. It puts us in great position for negotiations with Dye next season and also with Quentins health issues.

You can bring JD back at a cheaper cost to DH. If CQ goes down you shift Dye back out and Rios is in left.

Not to mention. I dont think Greg Walker has anything to do with it, but I think it's no secret our park helps hitters and at worst would get this kid some confidence that it can help him offensively. If he puts up 07' numbers - he isn't a bad move.

Minor problem is that contract.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jul 16, 2009 -> 02:40 PM)
If we get money with his contract, we will give up something decent. If we take his contract, we could get him for nothing. Heck we could probably claim him off of waivers soon enough if we really wanted him.

As for Teahen, I doubt he will be as cheap as you think. Its hard to find a guy that does as much as he does and still has a decent bat.

He's a barely above average player and he doesn't warrant anything great.

I'd imagine a package involving John Shelby would definitely sway KC to make the trade.

Edited by chw42

QUOTE (chw42 @ Jul 16, 2009 -> 02:36 PM)
I'd much rather have Teahen as he can play a lot more positions and has been a better hitter this year.

If we're thinking more down the road, I'd go with DeJesus.

KW is always looking down the road. Who will play RF next year? Who will be in CF? I think DeJesus is a solid ballplayer and could easily fill one of those positions.

QUOTE (chw42 @ Jul 16, 2009 -> 02:37 PM)
When Minnesota's second half schedule looks about as easy as the Bulls' second half schedule, I find that hard to believe.

If somehow the Sox could make it out of this tough stretch within reaching distance, I say it will be a 3 team race until the end.