Rosenthal says we could be interested in Rios.

Jimmywins1

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jul 16, 2009 -> 04:28 PM)
Shelby fits better in there time-line. That wouldn't be a bad trade for the Royals as Shelby has some upside, although he's stalled a bit this season.

I'd to Dotel for Hermida, and Shelby and Ely for Teahen. Can't have too much of a good thing.

I wouldn't give up a whole lot for Teahen, but I do like him and he'd certainly help this team. I think he's a guy that before too long, he'll start getting paid in arb more than what he'd be worth to us. He'd be a nice stopgap at 3B until Viciedo if Beckham moves to 2B after the year, or else a nice UT guy who gets more AB's than your average UT guy.

Shelby and a RP (not Jones or Santeliz) or an arm like ACarter, Ely, Rasner, etc. would work for me. But just watch Kenny trade DCarter and Upchurch for him.

QUOTE (chw42 @ Jul 16, 2009 -> 02:36 PM)
I'd much rather have Teahen as he can play a lot more positions and has been a better hitter this year.

If we're thinking more down the road, I'd go with DeJesus.

Yeah i would much prefer we go after Teahen, how much longer is he under control? is he a FA after the season or after 2010?

He will be 28 at the end of the season.

I would love to see KW go get Teahen and Hermida

Richard, Carter, Fields for Teahen

Dotel for Hermida

Lineup

L Podsednik CF

R Ramirez SS

R Dye RF

L Thome DH

R Konerko 1B

L Teahan 3B

R Quentin/Hermida

L AJP

R Beckham 2B

With Hermida and Teahan they give us alot of options if someone gets hurt and going to the future as well with alot of potential upside, and it puts Nix in a great position for continued success in a Uribe like role.

I wouldn't give up anywhere near that much talent for Teahen. All three of those guys have higher ceilings than Teahen. Even Fields has a higher ceiling than Teahen, albeit a minute shot at reaching it. Richard would be shutting us down out of the pen for the next several years, and Carter we could possibly see once per series. No way.

Now if you're talking about Anthony Carter and Josh Fields the pitcher, and some fringe guy named Richard something, then that is a different story.

I think CJ Retherford for Teahen straight up is a fair deal because it saves the Royals money. Otherwise Tyler Kuhn and Egbert, something like that.

I'd rather deal Fields outside of the division or to the NL on the off chance that if he does ever start hitting for power at least it won't be against us. Even Fields is capable of putting together a couple of Craig Monroe-like seasons. Since we'd only get marginal talent at best for him, there's no reason to take that chance. Since Teahen is a UT guy, give them UT/5th starter/MR type prospects. If they don't want that, sign Adrian Beltre over the offseason on a 1-year deal for about the same amount Teahen will make in arb. Teahen is near the $4M mark already.

QUOTE (3E8 @ Jul 17, 2009 -> 12:19 AM)

I wouldn't say he's been fantastic, but I do like the idea of bringing in Rios. Unless he's hurt, he should be able to turn it around at the plate, and if he does his contract is near or possibly even below market value as a CF. He is a natural CF and his contract takes him through his prime. I don't expect the Jays to eat any salary in a Rios deal, nor should they be expected to, but he could be available for next to nothing other than salary relief. I'd really like the Sox to take a look at him.

Wells OTOH - yeah, the Jays would have to eat a ton of that contract, and Wells would have to have a couple more of those .317/.359/.550 33 HR years just to get another team interested. That contract is really, really bad.

The sox can probably take on one, new big contract for 2010. Whether that's Rios, who knows. I do like the buy low aspect of him, and middle of the order type hitters are hard to come by. But the sox have to be damn sure he's still worth the big dough. He probably is. But still.

That said, it still doesn't address the sox leadoff needs. Though I could see Pods coming back in LF, Rios in CF, Q in RF, with Dye at DH. The sox would have to be sure that one of Beckham /Getz could hit #1, though, in case Pods gets hurt. And the Sox would be counting on Jordan Danks to be able to be a factor in 2010.

The sox then couldn't go after Chone Figgins. Yet who's to say the sox would get him [as many other teams should go after him] and sign him at a decent price. They always tend to lose out on FA's who are in high demand. All in all, Figgins is likely to get a contract for not much less than Rios's per year.

um... where do u plan on playing these people? Beckham is our 3rd baseman = no teahen. Quentin is coming back so coming off an MVP like year, he will be our LF. With Quentin in LF, Pods, who is our 1st half MVP will narurally move to CF. Only way this makes sense is Teahen for either getz or nix.

QUOTE (nastymasty21 @ Jul 17, 2009 -> 07:52 AM)
um... where do u plan on playing these people? Beckham is our 3rd baseman = no teahen. Quentin is coming back so coming off an MVP like year, he will be our LF. With Quentin in LF, Pods, who is our 1st half MVP will narurally move to CF. Only way this makes sense is Teahen for either getz or nix.

I'm thinking the only way we get Teahen is if Getz is included in a deal for a starting pitcher first.

Rios is just too much of a risk even if the Jays swallowed half his contract I think.

His numbers have declined badly since 2007, and this season he has a .634 OPS away from the Skydome. In fact over his career, his OPS is almost .100 less in away matches than it is at home. Plus he's not very good defensively in CF, so you'd probably have to play him in RF.

QUOTE (GreatScott82 @ Jul 17, 2009 -> 11:12 AM)
I'm thinking the only way we get Teahen is if Getz is included in a deal for a starting pitcher first.

You only make a deal if CQ isn't completely healthy and productive. Put Teahen out in left field. It works.

QUOTE (DBAHO @ Jul 17, 2009 -> 12:16 PM)
Rios is just too much of a risk even if the Jays swallowed half his contract I think.

His numbers have declined badly since 2007, and this season he has a .634 OPS away from the Skydome. In fact over his career, his OPS is almost .100 less in away matches than it is at home. Plus he's not very good defensively in CF, so you'd probably have to play him in RF.

He's actually been a very good outfielder all-around. His UZR/150 in all 3 outfield positions are all in the +10 range.

QUOTE (DBAHO @ Jul 17, 2009 -> 12:16 PM)

He's an excellent CF'er defensively. He's being wasted in RF in Toronto, but there has been talk of Rios moving to CF and Wells going to RF next year.

I know his numbers have been trending down, but last year was far from a bad year. Especially, if those numbers are for CF. His OBP was not very good, but he still threw up 70 extra base hits, including 47 doubles, and 32 stolen bases. This was in a pitchers park on one of the worst offenses in baseball.

He's a great buy low candidate. I can't believe people are saying they wouldn't take him for half his contract? But, people want DeJesus or Teahan? Has anyone seen what we've been sending out to CF since 2005?

QUOTE (Brian @ Jul 17, 2009 -> 01:58 PM)
I'm kind of tired of getting Royal players. So can we quit the Teahan talk?

See, there's a difference between getting good Royals players and bad Royals players.

It just so happens that we've acquired a lot of bad ones before. They were even bad on the Royals...

You're telling me you wouldn't want Joakim Soria, Zack Greinke, Mark Teahen, or David DeJesus? Those are guys who were actually successful on the Royals.

QUOTE (chw42 @ Jul 17, 2009 -> 02:59 PM)
See, there's a difference between getting good Royals players and bad Royals players.

It just so happens that we've acquired a lot of bad ones before. They were even bad on the Royals...

You're telling me you wouldn't want Joakim Soria, Zack Greinke, Mark Teahen, or David DeJesus? Those are guys who were actually successful on the Royals.

Didn't Macdoofus make the all-star team as a royal?

QUOTE (shakes @ Jul 17, 2009 -> 02:13 PM)
He's an excellent CF'er defensively. He's being wasted in RF in Toronto, but there has been talk of Rios moving to CF and Wells going to RF next year.

I know his numbers have been trending down, but last year was far from a bad year. Especially, if those numbers are for CF. His OBP was not very good, but he still threw up 70 extra base hits, including 47 doubles, and 32 stolen bases. This was in a pitchers park on one of the worst offenses in baseball.

He's a great buy low candidate. I can't believe people are saying they wouldn't take him for half his contract? But, people want DeJesus or Teahan? Has anyone seen what we've been sending out to CF since 2005?

He is worth 7-10 win shares in our park as a CF.

He is worth what like 5 right now. Someone had a graph for it on here.

I'd take him for half the contract in a heart beat.