Rosenthal says we could be interested in Rios.

Jimmywins1

Which has higher odds, Alex Rios putting up another 800+ OPS season at USCF in our new "reinvigorated" line-up in 2010/2011 or Jordan Danks?

Obviously, Rios has more of a track record and he's still a young player, one of those "change of scenery" moves that have worked so often with pitchers, and SOMETIMES hitters in KW's tenure.

Although we don't see nearly as many "Walk will fix him" (teal/green or not) comments, so that's a bit of a concern if you do swallow that.

Getting the Jays and JP to give up a Thome like subsidy will cost the White Sox Danks/Poreda OR Richard OR Hudson and probably one more piece. It kind of goes against everything that's been said recently about attendance/economy/sponsorships going forward, but it's really depressing to think with all that money coming off the books that we couldn't even afford ONE contract like Alex Rios, then we're in for an interesting ride.

Of course, the Rios trade idea has one flaw...it still doesn't address the leadoff hitter issue. Getz is more valuable to us (or Nix, for that matter) than he is in trade to another team. But I don't see Chone Figgins getting anything approaching $10 million per season over more than 3 years because of his age and injury history. Speed players always decline as they reach their early to mid 30's, especially in the post PED's era.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jul 17, 2009 -> 03:27 PM)
Which has higher odds, Alex Rios putting up another 800+ OPS season at USCF in our new "reinvigorated" line-up in 2010/2011 or Jordan Danks?

Obviously, Rios has more of a track record and he's still a young player, one of those "change of scenery" moves that have worked so often with pitchers, and SOMETIMES hitters in KW's tenure.

Although we don't see nearly as many "Walk will fix him" (teal/green or not) comments, so that's a bit of a concern if you do swallow that.

Getting the Jays and JP to give up a Thome like subsidy will cost the White Sox Danks/Poreda OR Richard OR Hudson and probably one more piece. It kind of goes against everything that's been said recently about attendance/economy/sponsorships going forward, but it's really depressing to think with all that money coming off the books that we couldn't even afford ONE contract like Alex Rios, then we're in for an interesting ride.

Of course, the Rios trade idea has one flaw...it still doesn't address the leadoff hitter issue. Getz is more valuable to us (or Nix, for that matter) than he is in trade to another team. But I don't see Chone Figgins getting anything approaching $10 million per season over more than 3 years because of his age and injury history. Speed players always decline as they reach their early to mid 30's, especially in the post PED's era.

If you're worried about leadoff, just bring Pods back. They will have an open spot at DH for any one of our elder/injury prone outfielders. Figgins is a big injury risk and hasn't played a regular CF in a while. And I think someone will overpay him on a 2 or 3 year contract.

QUOTE (shakes @ Jul 17, 2009 -> 03:36 PM)
If you're worried about leadoff, just bring Pods back. They will have an open spot at DH for any one of our elder/injury prone outfielders. Figgins is a big injury risk and hasn't played a regular CF in a while. And I think someone will overpay him on a 2 or 3 year contract.

agreed, i think if scott rides the year out healthy with the sox we sign him to a 1 year deal to keep CF warm for Jordan; Danks going into next year will be one sports hernia away from starting for the sox and backing his brother up.

I seriously doubt KW will make the following moves but that is why I'm a fan.

Teahen would be a great asset for this team, his ability to produce across the diamond and stationing him at 3B, until Dayan or Morel are ready is perfect, it gives us time to not rush either of them and see what we truly have in both; and it puts beckham in more natural position where is bat his All star caliber.

Hermida just gives us more insurance and a 25 year old with previous Major league success in a vast ball park that is in need of a change of scenery that still has a lot of upside and could slot into LF/RF if Quentin or dye go down, and going into next year gives us some youth in the outfield.

Snell is killing it in the minors and a great buy low candidate, hes stated he doesn't want to pitch for the pirates and his GM has gone on record saying his contract was a mistake.

Maybe Teahen will come cheaply(i can hope) if the price isn't what ive stated go out and get him and move Beckham to 2B then will have a quality bat across the whole diamond.

Hermida for Dotel

Teahen for Fields + Egbert/Omogrosso/Link/Nunez?

Snell for Getz (they're going to need a 2B after they trade Sanchez)

doing all this puts some questions on our roster to bed.

QUOTE (beautox @ Jul 17, 2009 -> 05:12 PM)
Hermida for Dotel

These are all relatively realistic notions and would definitely improve the team .this would be a nice haul to come out of the deadline with. I'd prefer to do Ely and Shelby for Teahen and work Anderson or Fields in a seperate deal.

QUOTE (beautox @ Jul 17, 2009 -> 04:12 PM)
agreed, i think if scott rides the year out healthy with the sox we sign him to a 1 year deal to keep CF warm for Jordan; Danks going into next year will be one sports hernia away from starting for the sox and backing his brother up.

I seriously doubt KW will make the following moves but that is why I'm a fan.

Teahen would be a great asset for this team, his ability to produce across the diamond and stationing him at 3B, until Dayan or Morel are ready is perfect, it gives us time to not rush either of them and see what we truly have in both; and it puts beckham in more natural position where is bat his All star caliber.

Hermida just gives us more insurance and a 25 year old with previous Major league success in a vast ball park that is in need of a change of scenery that still has a lot of upside and could slot into LF/RF if Quentin or dye go down, and going into next year gives us some youth in the outfield.

Snell is killing it in the minors and a great buy low candidate, hes stated he doesn't want to pitch for the pirates and his GM has gone on record saying his contract was a mistake.

Maybe Teahen will come cheaply(i can hope) if the price isn't what ive stated go out and get him and move Beckham to 2B then will have a quality bat across the whole diamond.

Hermida for Dotel

doing all this puts some questions on our roster to bed.

I bet they don't trade Freddy Sanchez. They've already got enough bad press. And they are supposedly talking about extensions for he and Jack Wilson. I do like your idea to trade for Snell though.

QUOTE (chw42 @ Jul 17, 2009 -> 02:59 PM)
See, there's a difference between getting good Royals players and bad Royals players.

Teahan is only considered good cuz he is on the Royals. He's average anywhere else.

QUOTE (CanOfCorn @ Jul 17, 2009 -> 04:51 PM)
I bet they don't trade Freddy Sanchez. They've already got enough bad press. And they are supposedly talking about extensions for he and Jack Wilson. I do like your idea to trade for Snell though.

Another consideration with Snell is the fact that he's in the Top 20 in the most "pitcher abuse" points...so a pretty good candidate to break down and have an injury, on top of all the other issues (confidence/mechanical) Cooper would have to deal with.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jul 17, 2009 -> 05:20 PM)
Average is a lot better than what we've gotten out of CF and perhaps 3b so far this season.

Another problem with Teahen is that he's pretty much abysmal in RF/LF and at 2B.

He's so-so at 3B, which MIGHT be better than Beckham, but not by much. So the question is whether the offensive upgrade of Teahen over the Getz/Nix platoon is worth it, and the cost of acquisition.

And a lot depends on CQ. If we know he's not coming back, getting Teahen's LH bat in the line-up does make a lot more sense, because we're definitely at least one bat short still with Pods' injury history, Anderson/Wise and Getz/Nix (maybe still a tick below MLB average if you combine them, but they're not killing us, either).

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jul 17, 2009 -> 06:51 PM)
Another problem with Teahen is that he's pretty much abysmal in RF/LF and at 2B.

He's so-so at 3B, which MIGHT be better than Beckham, but not by much. So the question is whether the offensive upgrade of Teahen over the Getz/Nix platoon is worth it, and the cost of acquisition.

And a lot depends on CQ. If we know he's not coming back, getting Teahen's LH bat in the line-up does make a lot more sense, because we're definitely at least one bat short still with Pods' injury history, Anderson/Wise and Getz/Nix (maybe still a tick below MLB average if you combine them, but they're not killing us, either).

Teahen sucks at 2B and 3B. But he's not a bad LF.

His UZR -0.7 while he played 2B for a couple of games this year.

He's also had only one year where his UZR at 3B was above 0. He's below average this year at a -3.7.

In LF this year, his UZR is a decent 1.9, which is pretty much what Scott Podsednik will give you.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jul 17, 2009 -> 06:20 PM)
Average is a lot better than what we've gotten out of CF and perhaps 3b so far this season.

Absolutely, if we can get average production out of third base with a steady glove and move Bacon to 2B, along with a healthy Quentin we've got a very potent line up, esp if Jermaine can continue to keep it up.

The idea of Teahen and Hermida in our line up excites me. We would have a balanced attack from both the left and right sides of the plate and the potential for breakouts(backs?) from them, neither one of them would be expected to carry the line up; simply produce for the rest of the season and going into 2010 while AJ, Paulie and Dye ride off into the sunset. With all the money we would have coming off the books after this year i would look to lock up core; much like the rays and tribe. The sox are going to have a very solid foundation to build off in nearly every aspect across the board and depth in the minors to supplement the major league roster in one fashion or another.

My mouth salivates at the thought of this around the Diamond.

DH L/R Thome/Dye

C R Flowers

1B R Konerko

2B R Beckham

SS R Ramirez

3B L Teahen

LF L Hermida

CF L Danks

RF R Quentin

QUOTE (beautox @ Jul 17, 2009 -> 07:14 PM)
Absolutely, if we can get average production out of third base with a steady glove and move Bacon to 2B, along with a healthy Quentin we've got a very potent line up, esp if Jermaine can continue to keep it up.

The idea of Teahen and Hermida in our line up excites me. We would have a balanced attack from both the left and right sides of the plate and the potential for breakouts(backs?) from them, neither one of them would be expected to carry the line up; simply produce for the rest of the season and going into 2010 while AJ, Paulie and Dye ride off into the sunset. With all the money we would have coming off the books after this year i would look to lock up core; much like the rays and tribe. The sox are going to have a very solid foundation to build off in nearly every aspect across the board and depth in the minors to supplement the major league roster in one fashion or another.

My mouth salivates at the thought of this around the Diamond.

DH L/R Thome/Dye

C R Flowers

1B R Konerko

2B R Beckham

SS R Ramirez

3B L Teahen

LF L Hermida

CF L Danks

RF R Quentin

Then you add in the potential "hitability" of Viciedo at 3B and you really have something...