Charlotte beat Norfolk 7-1

Great outing for Harrell

Quentin 2-4

Birmingham @ Mobile

Winston-Salem @ Salem

1-1 in the 10th

Kannapolis beat Savannah 2-0

Great outing for DCarter: 8 innings; 0 runs on 3 hits; 9 K's and 2 BB's

Greene with 3 hits. Sierra, Gilmore, and Short with 2 each.

Bristol getting pounded by Bluefield 10-3

Ogden @ Great Falls

Garrett Johnson with the start

Edited by scenario

Charlotte winning big vs Norfolk

Quentin 2-4 with a double, Flowers with his first home run in AAA.

Birmingham losing in the 6th

Viciedo 2/3, Jordan Danks with 2 walks

Kannapolis with a 3-0 shutout win

Dexter Carter with continued dominance. 8 IP, 3 hits, 2 BB, 9 K's. Justin Greene 3/4, Gilmore 2/4.

W-S falls in extras 5-1

Justin Edwards 8 IP, 1 run

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Jul 16, 2009 -> 07:01 PM)
Flowers' bomb was off one of the better Norfolk pitchers too. http://web.minorleaguebaseball.com/milb/st...&pid=468435 Josh Perrault had just been dominating this year. Great to see this from Flowers.

I expect to see more HR output from him now that he's out of Birmingham

It looks like it's about time to promote Justin Greene. I am kind of curious though why he only has 14 SB this year when BA rated him the speediest guy in the organization going into this season. There's 7 CS with that, so does that maybe indicate situational running where the odds are more against him, or is that a sign he's not the best base stealer? Because if he's not the best base stealer he should be working on it, but maybe the numbers are down because he's got the technique pretty much down and the Sox just want him to concentrate on hitting. Anyone know?

QUOTE (Kenny Hates Prospects @ Jul 16, 2009 -> 10:55 PM)
It looks like it's about time to promote Justin Greene. I am kind of curious though why he only has 14 SB this year when BA rated him the speediest guy in the organization going into this season. There's 7 CS with that, so does that maybe indicate situational running where the odds are more against him, or is that a sign he's not the best base stealer? Because if he's not the best base stealer he should be working on it, but maybe the numbers are down because he's got the technique pretty much down and the Sox just want him to concentrate on hitting. Anyone know?

I'm gonna assume he doesn't have good technique, but I'm just guessing. Maybe have him spend some time with Scotty Pods next ST. (Scotty is destined to become a base stealing coach in the future).

QUOTE (BearSox @ Jul 16, 2009 -> 10:53 PM)
One guy who has gone unnoticed but has been mostly money out of the pen (struggled a little when he got promoted to WS last year) since we drafted him is Henry Mabee. Anyone know much about his stuff? JPN, you see him pitch yet?

Are you familiar with the Raelians? Or do you know your way around the black market? Because we need to figure out a way to clone JPN and put versions of him at Charlotte, W-S, Kanny, Great Falls, Bristol, and in the DSL. Either that or we need to get some Sox scouts to start anonymously posting here somehow.

QUOTE (Kenny Hates Prospects @ Jul 16, 2009 -> 10:43 PM)
Can someone who has seen Harrell this year (*cough* JPN *cough*) tell me how much Harrell has been throwing his slider this year, and where the pitch is at right now? I really like Harrell and with a third pitch I think he can be a starter.

He's been kinda enigmatic this year. More often than not though he throws a lot of pitches and nibbles and doesn't last as long. I'm guessing that's when he's throwing more off speed stuff. If I remember correctly, his slider was about 83-85 MPH. The one thing that's holding him back is finding the balance between nibbling and attacking hitters. He has a surprisingly good fastball that he can run up to about 96. Considering his shoulder issues in the past and what I've seen of him, I honestly think his future is as a two pitch set up man. Not that I don't think he can't start, he's just the one pitcher whose role I would like to see change to see what he's capable of in set up relief.

QUOTE (BearSox @ Jul 16, 2009 -> 10:53 PM)
One guy who has gone unnoticed but has been mostly money out of the pen (struggled a little when he got promoted to WS last year) since we drafted him is Henry Mabee. Anyone know much about his stuff? JPN, you see him pitch yet?

Yes, he has a nice fastball that gets up to 97. I think he throws a power curve and maybe a splitter or sinker to go along with that. Big strong kid, could be a sleeper.

QUOTE (JPN366 @ Jul 16, 2009 -> 11:03 PM)
Yes, he has a nice fastball that gets up to 97. I think he throws a power curve and maybe a splitter or sinker to go along with that. Big strong kid, could be a sleeper.

wow, that's great to hear.

QUOTE (Kenny Hates Prospects @ Jul 16, 2009 -> 10:58 PM)
Are you familiar with the Raelians? Or do you know your way around the black market? Because we need to figure out a way to clone JPN and put versions of him at Charlotte, W-S, Kanny, Great Falls, Bristol, and in the DSL. Either that or we need to get some Sox scouts to start anonymously posting here somehow.

Either that, or futuresox becomes a million dollar scouting agency, and we hire people to scout all of our minor league affiliates..... Even the DSL!

Edited by BearSox

QUOTE (Kenny Hates Prospects @ Jul 16, 2009 -> 11:03 PM)
Agree on Pods. And actually, he might be able to provide some hitting tips too.

I almost said base running coach instead of base stealing... Scotty has great technique when it comes to stealing bases, but he is a very questionable base runner, to say the least.

I'm envisioning him starting out as a roving minor league base stealing instructer (who can give lefties with a lack of power some hitting tips as well), and potentially working his way up to 1B coach.

QUOTE (BearSox @ Jul 16, 2009 -> 11:08 PM)
Either that, or futuresox becomes a million dollar scouting agency, and we hire people to scout all of our minor league affiliates..... Even the DSL!

Pay me and I'll travel.

QUOTE (JPN366 @ Jul 16, 2009 -> 10:59 PM)
He's been kinda enigmatic this year. More often than not though he throws a lot of pitches and nibbles and doesn't last as long. I'm guessing that's when he's throwing more off speed stuff. If I remember correctly, his slider was about 83-85 MPH. The one thing that's holding him back is finding the balance between nibbling and attacking hitters. He has a surprisingly good fastball that he can run up to about 96. Considering his shoulder issues in the past and what I've seen of him, I honestly think his future is as a two pitch set up man. Not that I don't think he can't start, he's just the one pitcher whose role I would like to see change to see what he's capable of in set up relief.

I saw him this spring in one of those televised games and pretty much fell in love with that fastball/change combo of his. I don't know how he's looked all year, but that fastball was hard with a lot of movement and that change had sink and looked pretty much unhittable after that fastball. I remember him getting behind everyone though and not being able to finish off hitters. I think he actually came in for a fresh inning and walked a couple guys, and ended up giving up a run just because he couldn't get ahead and stay there. Maybe you're right about the setup role, when I look online I keep seeing him listed as a setup guy in the future, but I just can't help but think that if he had something else he had a little confidence in that he could throw over the plate here and there, and maybe something he could try to get by on a little more when he's got nothing, he could be a starter. Maybe he'll get moved to the pen and come up that way, and then learn a cutter under Coop like everyone else does.

QUOTE (JPN366 @ Jul 16, 2009 -> 11:03 PM)

Mabee? I thought he was a high-80's guy who was finessing people to death? Who am I thinking of then? Maxwell maybe?

QUOTE (Kenny Hates Prospects @ Jul 16, 2009 -> 11:24 PM)
Mabee? I thought he was a high-80's guy who was finessing people to death? Who am I thinking of then? Maxwell maybe?

That's what I thought as well, but I learned not to guestion JPN. He's right virtually 99.9% of the time it seems like.