Going Rate for a Baby Sitter?

HuskyCaucasian

My wife and i are going to the new Harry Potter movie this evening and we are leaving our 10 month old daughter with a babysitter. She is 14 years old, and will be at home with both of her parents (friends of ours). She wants the experience of babysitting with a younger child and we figured it was ok since her parents would be home.

What is the going rate for a babysitter these days? We've never had to hire one before.

Minimum wage in Illinois is now $8 (for 18+ y.o.); That's about what I pay High Schoolers to watch my 6 and 5 year old. Responsible, reliable babysitters are gold. You don't want to get a reputation as cheap, and find them all "busy" when you need one.

QUOTE (SHIPPS @ Jul 17, 2009 -> 11:18 AM)
Just take her to see Harry Potter.

It's interesting. When my wife's nephew was... i think 3-5 months old... and we were all int he Wisconsin Dells the weekend Pirates 3 came out and we ALL wants to go see it rather badly. They didnt want to "burden" my wife's parents with watching him while we went. So, They took him along. He was GREAT. Never made a noise and slept through most of it. Our daughter... she'd be climbing on the seats. Waving at people. Talking to the screen. No way we can bring her. she's... um..... energetic. Cant sit still for more than 2 minutes.