Getting the gang together

SkokieSox

Orlando Hernandez-S- Rangers Jul. 17 - 6:04 pm et

Rangers released RHP Orlando Hernandez.

Hernandez was stuck in Triple-A Oklahoma City's bullpen, and was told Thursday that he didn't fit into the Rangers' immediate plans. He had a 2.45 ERA, opponents were hitting .121 off him and he had struck out 12 batters in eight appearances, so perhaps the veteran will get a call from another club.

I might like him in the 5th spot down the stretch

It's become a recurring theme around here to bring up the idea of resigning players who were once successful for our ballclub.

He's gone and never coming back. Nor do I want him back; regardless of how he pitched in AAA. If he cant make Texas' bullpen or starting rotation (while not terrible, they're middle of the pack in both and could certaintly use him), what purpose could he serve here? If we're thinking of him even as a POSSIBLE 5th starter that's just an indictment on our minor league system. He's behind Richard, Poreda, Colon, Torres (and I haven't even seen him pitch); forgot about it. Even if none of those starters succeed, I'd just keep Poreda out to work out his problems.

Edited by Flash Tizzle

QUOTE (Flash Tizzle @ Jul 18, 2009 -> 01:41 AM)
It's become a recurring theme around here to bring up the idea of resigning players who were once successful for our ballclub.

He's gone and never coming back. Nor do I want him back; regardless of how he pitched in AAA. If he cant make Texas' bullpen or starting rotation (while not terrible, they're middle of the pack in both and could certaintly use him), what could would he do here? If we're thinking of him even as a POSSIBLE 5th starter that's just an indictment on our minor league system. He's behind Richard, Poreda, Colon, Torres (and I haven't even seen him pitch); forgot about it. Even if none of those starters succeed, I'd just keep Poreda out to work out his problems.

Richard is stinking the place up, and I don't think Poreda is ready to start. He's a decent option, and certainly low risk. If you don't like him, that's cool, but that doesn't mean he couldn't perform well in that role. It'd be nice to have a fresh veteran arm down the stretch.

Edited by SEALgep

QUOTE (Flash Tizzle @ Jul 17, 2009 -> 07:41 PM)

He's gone and never coming back. Nor do I want him back; regardless of how he pitched in AAA. If he cant make Texas' bullpen or starting rotation (while not terrible, they're middle of the pack in both and could certaintly use him), what purpose could he serve here? If we're thinking of him even as a POSSIBLE 5th starter that's just an indictment on our minor league system. He's behind Richard, Poreda, Colon, Torres (and I haven't even seen him pitch); forgot about it. Even if none of those starters succeed, I'd just keep Poreda out to work out his problems.

I was thinking more along the lines of if we make it to the playoffs, El Duque has playoff experience and has been money in the playoffs.

Supposedly, there are velocity and stamina concerns, based on his AAA performance at OKC to date...to the point where they didn't feel they could take the risk of letting him get his velocity and control back by experimenting in the heat of a pennant race.

Kind of the same issue we already have on our hands with Freddy Garcia and Bartolo Colon.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jul 17, 2009 -> 08:55 PM)
Supposedly, there are velocity and stamina concerns, based on his AAA performance at OKC to date...to the point where they didn't feel they could take the risk of letting him get his velocity and control back by experimenting in the heat of a pennant race.

Kind of the same issue we already have on our hands with Freddy Garcia and Bartolo Colon.

Maybe if he can't do anything for us this year how about giving him a chance to work with our young pitchers. Pitching coach? A reunion with Contreras. I remember something about how he positively impacted Contreras. Does he have enough for another go round here at the cell. I thought he was at the end of his career then. Those Cubans don't age. Ponce Deleon thought the fountain of youth was in Florida he may have missed it by a few miles it just might have been in Cuba.

Well, as long as we don't bring back Mackowiak, Everett or Erstad, I'm fine with this move.

Heck, sign him and stick him in Birmingham for a month to impart wisdom on Viciedo, whatever works.

Willie Harris is also on the trade market. But please, no Geoff Blum at 3B, unless it's as a PHer.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jul 17, 2009 -> 10:42 PM)
Well, as long as we don't bring back Mackowiak, Everett or Erstad, I'm fine with this move.

Heck, sign him and stick him in Birmingham for a month to impart wisdom on Viciedo, whatever works.

Willie Harris is also on the trade market. But please, no Geoff Blum at 3B, unless it's as a PHer.

I loved Mack in 2006. I thought he was a fantastic addition. Not his fault he was put in a terrible position because Brian Anderson turned into smallz from the Sandlot.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Jul 18, 2009 -> 01:12 AM)
I loved Mack in 2006. I thought he was a fantastic addition. Not his fault he was put in a terrible position because Brian Anderson turned into smallz from the Sandlot.

Are you trying to stir s*** up around here? Mack started the 2nd game of the season in CF.

QUOTE (Leonard Zelig @ Jul 18, 2009 -> 03:23 AM)
Are you trying to stir s*** up around here? Mack started the 2nd game of the season in CF.

And Anderson started the next 4 games in CF after that. So let's stop blaming Ozzie for the bad baseball player that is Brian Anderson. That's sooooooooooo 2006.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Jul 18, 2009 -> 05:36 AM)
And Anderson started the next 4 games in CF after that. So let's stop blaming Ozzie for the bad baseball player that is Brian Anderson. That's sooooooooooo 2006.

Funny, I don't remember mentioning either of their names.