D. Wise gives me....

Jimbo's Drinker

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I wanted Anderson to have a shot at center this year. He failed to capitalize on his opportunity. He has not proven to be a good hitter and should no longer be considered as a starter.

For this year, Anderson makes more sense as a 4th outfielder because of his defense which could be utilized nearly every game to rest Q or upgrade Pod's D. Both are bad hitters and should not pinch hit for anybody except the pitcher in the World Series games the Sox will be playing in NL parks.

I wish Wise well. Hopefully he proves us all wrong. Ozzie must like his speed/base stealing potential, the fact that he is a lefty, and my purely speculative guess is that he likes Wise's personality better than Brian's. I disagree with the move, but if he takes the field in a Sox uniform, I hope he plays like an MVP.

QUOTE (CanOfCorn @ Jul 20, 2009 -> 02:32 PM)
What I have noticed about Wise, though, is his insane ability to be 0-2 in every at-bat. How does he do that?

When pitchers aren't scared of a hitter beating them, they go right after him and don't bother trying to make the perfect pitch.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jul 20, 2009 -> 04:33 PM)
When pitchers aren't scared of a hitter beating them, they go right after him and don't bother trying to make the perfect pitch.

True...and it's the same scenario every time:

Pitch 1: Called strike.

Pitch 2: Foul

Pitch 3: K

QUOTE (CanOfCorn @ Jul 20, 2009 -> 04:32 PM)
What I have noticed about Wise, though, is his insane ability to be 0-2 in every at-bat. How does he do that?

Pitchers are afraid. They are absolutely terrified of walking Wise and must throw the ball down the middle. The last pitcher to walk Wise was sent down to single A.

/green

Now I feel bad.

Go! Wise! Dude's just making a living.

QUOTE (CanOfCorn @ Jul 20, 2009 -> 04:32 PM)

I thought the same thing so I looked it up and it's true. Wise has 106 PA this year and 14 in which he hit into a play on the first pitch so I'll discount those. In PA in which he's seen more than 1 pitch he's fallen behind 0-2 25 times or 27%. He's gone 2-0 16% of the time. In 53 of those 92 plate appearances he fell into a 2 strike count and made it to 3 balls only 9 times. That's 58% with 2 strikes and 10% with 3 balls. He's worked the count full only 4 times. Looking at his splits it's stunning just how often he falls behind in the count.

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Jul 20, 2009 -> 05:51 PM)
I thought the same thing so I looked it up and it's true. Wise has 106 PA this year and 14 in which he hit into a play on the first pitch so I'll discount those. In PA in which he's seen more than 1 pitch he's fallen behind 0-2 25 times or 27%. He's gone 2-0 16% of the time. In 53 of those 92 plate appearances he fell into a 2 strike count and made it to 3 balls only 9 times. That's 58% with 2 strikes and 10% with 3 balls. He's worked the count full only 4 times. Looking at his splits it's stunning just how often he falls behind in the count.

You think we can email these numbers to Rick Hahn, or just hope like hell someone in the organization is aware of this.

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Jul 20, 2009 -> 05:55 PM)
You think we can email these numbers to Rick Hahn, or just hope like hell someone in the organization is aware of this.

lets just face it after this season ozzie will beg us to give him a 5 year contract...

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Jul 20, 2009 -> 06:59 PM)
Ozzie just said that the primary reason they kept “DeWine” (yes, that how he pronounces it) is because he can steal bases. Ozzie, how the hell can Wise steal a base when he can’t get on base?

A two out walk to Thome in the bottom of the 9th with the Sox down a run and Konerko on deck.

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Jul 20, 2009 -> 04:59 PM)
Ozzie just said that the primary reason they kept “DeWine” (yes, that how he pronounces it) is because he can steal bases. Ozzie, how the hell can Wise steal a base when he can’t get on base?
In theory he'd be a late game pinch runner and defensive replacement for Quentin.

In theory he'd be a late game pinch runner and defensive replacement for Quentin.

That sentence makes me laugh SO HARD because that's a WAY better job for BA. Of course, it's not like I'm saying anything nobody knows already...

player A

G PA AB R H 2B 3B HR RBI SB CS BB SO BA OBP SLG OPS

43 106 97 8 19 5 2 1 7 2 3 3 23 .196 .243 .320 .562

Player B

G PA AB R H 2B 3B HR RBI SB CS BB SO BA OBP SLG OPS

65 210 185 25 44 9 0 2 13 3 6 20 49 .238 .322 .319 .641

player a is dwise and player b is BA....who really should have stayed on the roster...

BA just isnt as handy with the bat fellas. I know the numbers say BA over Wise offensively.

But doesnt it just seem that Wise has come through more often in situations? Bunting, I think it's still Wise even though he got a lot of bad publicity for one at-bat early in the year.

I'm sure there are stats to disprove what I'm saying, but I've been OK with Wise as a #9 hitter in the recent weeks. It's not great but I cant say BA has left no doubts on this topic

All that aside, I think they'd rather have the pinch runner and lefty bat off the bench instead of BA's defense. We could see BA again if they can replace Wise's strongsuits in some way via trade.

Edited by Princess Dye

QUOTE (Princess Dye @ Jul 21, 2009 -> 05:44 PM)
But doesnt it just seem that Wise has come through more often in situations? Bunting, I think it's still Wise even though he got a lot of bad publicity for one at-bat early in the year.

I'm sure there are stats to disprove what I'm saying, but I've been OK with Wise as a #9 hitter in the recent weeks. It's not great but I cant say BA has left no doubts on this topic

all i've seen in recent weeks from him (besides his hr) is alot of 0-3's/0-4's but whats done is done we can't do anything about it except hope this was the "right" move

haha on a second note he reminds me of mr 3000 when stuart scott says something like all i see is alot of swinging and flailing his arms around or something like that

Edited by beckham15

QUOTE (Princess Dye @ Jul 21, 2009 -> 05:44 PM)

Why should we be surprised at this? The thing Wise is best at is giving away outs.