Sox Should Trade for OFer by deadline

beck72

The Sox can't take the chance to be left with little OF depth before the trade deadline. They need to add an OFer, esp. someone who can play a solid CF, and also be able to play RF or LF. I know Carlos is due back. Best case scenario would him being healthy and playing 5 times a week in LF. With him still not running well, I don't see that happening. Worst case, he gets hurt and misses significant time. Yet I see him taking a lot of time at DH, resting Thome vs. LHP, if he stays healthy. And that's a big IF.

The other thing to consider in adding another OFer would be that the sox can keep Dye and Thome fresh [i don't see Konerko getting much of a rest, other than having Fields spell him once a week]. By Thome's comments from last night-'I felt like a kid after getting 4 dyas off'-the sox need to keep their big bats fresh for the 2nd half. Adding another bat who can contribute more than what BA and Wise have, is a must. The sox won't go anywhere with a weakened, worn out middle of the order. If the sox have to start Wise or BA, the other big bats won't get much time off.

The question is who to add. It prob. won't be a rental. Someone who can contribute in 2010 and beyond would prob. be best. Alos, the names who'll be FA's after 2009 out there don't really seem to add much to the sox [besides prob. Holliday].

*Alex Rios. He's got a full NTC. His contract is low this yr, [$5.9 mill.] and wouldn't cost the sox much additional cash this year, or a huge boatload of talent, esp. from previous years. A good "buy low" possibility. The questions would be 1] if the sox think Rios is worth the $60 some mill. over the next 6 years, and 2] if the sox could swing a deal. I'd be a fan of this, as Rios can play CF, Pods play LF, CQ could play some RF and DH.

*Vernon Wells. He's owed $98.5 mill over the next 5 yrs. No dice unless the Jays paid a ton of that deal. And Wells has a NTC.

*David DeJesus. Not a big fan. He's avg. in LF and CF would be horrible. He'd likely cost a lot in terms of talent. But he'd be an improvement over BA and Wise. And he's owed only $4.7 mill. for 2010, with a $6 mill club opt. for 2011.

*Matt Holliday. I know the A's are asking for two top prospects. Even with offering him arb [he might not get a deal for more than his $13.5 mill this yr], I don't see him as fit, as he plays LF. Depends on if Fields could be one key guy included.

*Mark Teahan. Can only play the corners. Also likely cost a lot in terms of talent.

*Juan Pierre. He's still owed $18.5 mill. for the next two years. Having to LFers w/ below avg. arms in the same OF? Not a good prospect.

I'm just not seeing a whole lot out there. But the Sox can't keep playing Wise or BA regularly. Even with CQ coming back, an OFer will still need to play a lot to keep Carlos from re-injuring his foot. And to provide insurance in case Pods or Dye get hurt.

What other names are out there? Or should the sox add another starting pitcher--someone who takes the pressure off the offense?

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah they guys you've mentioned all have big contracts, or you'd have to give up some premium talent for some.

Hence why I suggested Giles is another thread, albeit he is having a terrible year, but his numbers away from PETCO over the years indicate he'd be prime for a bounce back, and well he may get DFA'ed as Lugo was yesterday.

As for some other names, I'd inquire about Dan Murphy from the Mets and see if you could buy low on him, although his defense in LF certainly leaves a lot to be desired, and you might need to make him an infielder again.

QUOTE (DBAHO @ Jul 18, 2009 -> 02:31 PM)
Yeah they guys you've mentioned all have big contracts, or you'd have to give up some premium talent for some.

Hence why I suggested Giles is another thread, albeit he is having a terrible year, but his numbers away from PETCO over the years indicate he'd be prime for a bounce back, and well he may get DFA'ed as Lugo was yesterday.

As for some other names, I'd inquire about Dan Murphy from the Mets and see if you could buy low on him, although his defense in LF certainly leaves a lot to be desired, and you might need to make him an infielder again.

Giles doesn't do much for me. Any OFer should be able to play decent defense, esp for CF.

QUOTE (beck72 @ Jul 18, 2009 -> 08:20 AM)
*Alex Rios. He's got a full NTC. His contract is low this yr, [$5.9 mill.] and wouldn't cost the sox much additional cash this year, or a huge boatload of talent, esp. from previous years. A good "buy low" possibility. The questions would be 1] if the sox think Rios is worth the $60 some mill. over the next 6 years, and 2] if the sox could swing a deal. I'd be a fan of this, as Rios can play CF, Pods play LF, CQ could play some RF and DH.

I always thought Rios was a pretty good ballplayer and I didn't think his contract was that outrageous if he could return to form, which I believe he will. However a couple of posters on this board who seem to be pretty knowledgeable tell me he has character issues and doesn't hustle. That kind of cooled me to the idea of the Sox getting Rios. However, if KW and Ozzie think they can handle him, I'd say go for it.

QUOTE (South Side Fireworks Man @ Jul 18, 2009 -> 03:55 PM)
I always thought Rios was a pretty good ballplayer and I didn't think his contract was that outrageous if he could return to form, which I believe he will. However a couple of posters on this board who seem to be pretty knowledgeable tell me he has character issues and doesn't hustle. That kind of cooled me to the idea of the Sox getting Rios. However, if KW and Ozzie think they can handle him, I'd say go for it.

I always liked Wells more than Rios. But the difference in salary is the biggest factor. But if the sox can get the Jays to pay salary like they did for Thome, and get the cost down per year to something like $12, 13 mill per, it might be doable [He's owed an avg. of $19.7 mill./ yr; so would they pay $7 mill a yr to the Sox?]. He and Rios have posted similar numbers through the years. The Sox would have to include solid prospects in the deal, in order to get the Jays to pay that much.

QUOTE (beck72 @ Jul 18, 2009 -> 11:07 AM)
I always liked Wells more than Rios. But the difference in salary is the biggest factor. But if the sox can get the Jays to pay salary like they did for Thome, and get the cost down per year to something like $12, 13 mill per, it might be doable [He's owed an avg. of $19.7 mill./ yr; so would they pay $7 mill a yr to the Sox?]. He and Rios have posted similar numbers through the years. The Sox would have to include solid prospects in the deal, in order to get the Jays to pay that much.

So, we're willing to pay Rios more than $11M per year but not Dye? Considering what guys signed for last offseason, Rios' contract is still pretty bad. Not awful, but still well above market value considering his last couple of seasons. I like Rios and think he could be a valuable addition. Ideally he could play CF (I've read mixed reports on this) for a season or two until Danks is ready, then move to a corner spot.

Generally, I think KW won't trade for an OFer unless he can get him for a pretty good deal. IMO, KW sees this year as a "win it if you can" but "see what you have" year. If the financial struggles of other teams make good talent available at a discount, then by all means go after it, but don't pay "full price" for guys with over-market value contracts.

QUOTE (Disco72 @ Jul 18, 2009 -> 03:29 PM)
So, we're willing to pay Rios more than $11M per year but not Dye? Considering what guys signed for last offseason, Rios' contract is still pretty bad. Not awful, but still well above market value considering his last couple of seasons. I like Rios and think he could be a valuable addition. Ideally he could play CF (I've read mixed reports on this) for a season or two until Danks is ready, then move to a corner spot.

Generally, I think KW won't trade for an OFer unless he can get him for a pretty good deal. IMO, KW sees this year as a "win it if you can" but "see what you have" year. If the financial struggles of other teams make good talent available at a discount, then by all means go after it, but don't pay "full price" for guys with over-market value contracts.

The sox probably will pick up JD's option for 2010. He should be the primary DH next yr. And play some RF.

I don't know if the Sox would pay for Rios. This is all speculation. But the sox might be able to have the Jays pick up some salary for Rios as well if they add solid players in a trade.

QUOTE (DBAHO @ Jul 18, 2009 -> 08:31 AM)

I'm a big fan of Dan Murphy. But I don't think the Mets would be willing to sell now on him already, he's got a lot of potential with that bat.

Here was a blurb about David Murphy back when he was a Red Sox prospect. Sounds like Ryan Sweeney.

http://sonsofsamhorn.net/wiki/index.php/David_Murphy

Scouting Report

Murphy is a tall, athletic left-handed batter with a sweet swing. Pulls a lot of pitches, and displays excellent patience at the plate. Loves the game, and displays good leadership skills. Needs to work on adding more power. Accurate, strong arm. Major-league ready defensive outfielder at all three OF spots. Above average speed for a corner outfielder, perhaps about average for a centerfielder. ~ SoxProspects

Not a big fan of David Murphy. He's a decent player, but he doesn't provide much upside.

One guy I've been thinking about is Nate McLouth. I wonder if the Braves will put him back on the block if they fall out of the race. I'm a big McLouth fan, and would love to get, but the Braves would probably be asking for a lot.

I would love to get Teahen depending on the price. Also, I'd really try and explore a possibility of a Dotel for Hermida trade.

QUOTE (beck72 @ Jul 18, 2009 -> 11:35 AM)
The sox probably will pick up JD's option for 2010. He should be the primary DH next yr. And play some RF.

I don't know if the Sox would pay for Rios. This is all speculation. But the sox might be able to have the Jays pick up some salary for Rios as well if they add solid players in a trade.

Beck - I wasn't picking on you as much as I was looking at the view that many feel Dye's option is too expensive, but some feel Rios is a good option. Depending on what you believe about the Sox financial situation, all Spring and Summer (until KW's recent attendance comments), I've believed the Sox are in a great position to take advantage of other team's financial woes. If Rios could be had cheaply in terms of not giving up prospects we really like by assuming most or all of his contract, this is the kind of thing that I was hoping the Sox could do. I really have no idea what the financial reality of it is. So far, there hasn't been much (any?) salary dumping going on in MLB which contradicts the conventional wisdom being spewed by sports writers / analysts starting last winter.

QUOTE (Disco72 @ Jul 18, 2009 -> 04:44 PM)
Beck - I wasn't picking on you as much as I was looking at the view that many feel Dye's option is too expensive, but some feel Rios is a good option. Depending on what you believe about the Sox financial situation, all Spring and Summer (until KW's recent attendance comments), I've believed the Sox are in a great position to take advantage of other team's financial woes. If Rios could be had cheaply in terms of not giving up prospects we really like by assuming most or all of his contract, this is the kind of thing that I was hoping the Sox could do. I really have no idea what the financial reality of it is. So far, there hasn't been much (any?) salary dumping going on in MLB which contradicts the conventional wisdom being spewed by sports writers / analysts starting last winter.

The Sox M.O. in the past has been to "overpay" in terms of prospects in deals, in order to get cash back or to get better players.

What might happen is there might be a lot of action after the deadline as teams will seek to unload contracts through the waiver process. The sox might be able to strike deals that way, with lower level prospects as trade pieces that don't need to go through waivers.

QUOTE (beck72 @ Jul 18, 2009 -> 11:48 AM)
The Sox M.O. in the past has been to "overpay" in terms of prospects in deals, in order to get cash back or to get better players.

What might happen is there might be a lot of action after the deadline as teams will seek to unload contracts through the waiver process. The sox might be able to strike deals that way, with lower level prospects as trade pieces that don't need to go through waivers.

I completely agree - KW has always sent prospects and received cash. My, probably unrealistic, hope is that with a stronger farm system, the Sox might reverse that trend for the "right" player who will be with the team for a few years. Peavy fit that bill, and Rios might also.

My guess is teams might take the financial hit this year in hopes that things will improve next year. This winter when season ticket renewals start coming in would be when some teams start really selling off.

QUOTE (BearSox @ Jul 18, 2009 -> 04:44 PM)
Not a big fan of David Murphy. He's a decent player, but he doesn't provide much upside.

One guy I've been thinking about is Nate McLouth. I wonder if the Braves will put him back on the block if they fall out of the race. I'm a big McLouth fan, and would love to get, but the Braves would probably be asking for a lot.

I would love to get Teahen depending on the price. Also, I'd really try and explore a possibility of a Dotel for Hermida trade.

At this point, the sox are just looking to upgrade from Anderson/ Wise. Who wants to have one of those guys starting should the sox make the playoffs? Murphy would be a better option than those two.

McLouth prob. won't be available. The Braves gave up a lot to get him and he's under contract for a few yrs.

Hermida's been mentioned by the Marlins as available for the last 2 yrs, prob. them wanting a big price for him. I'm not all that impressed by Hermida.

QUOTE (beck72 @ Jul 18, 2009 -> 10:53 AM)
At this point, the sox are just looking to upgrade from Anderson/ Wise. Who wants to have one of those guys starting should the sox make the playoffs? Murphy would be a better option than those two.

McLouth prob. won't be available. The Braves gave up a lot to get him and he's under contract for a few yrs.

Hermida's been mentioned by the Marlins as available for the last 2 yrs, prob. them wanting a big price for him. I'm not all that impressed by Hermida.

I guess it depends on how much the Rangers want for Murphy. Sure, he'd be an upgrade, but over half the league would be an upgrade. I just wouldn't want to see us trade a good prospect for him.

QUOTE (beck72 @ Jul 18, 2009 -> 10:53 AM)

I dont think that is a probable, I think that is a definite. The braves think they can compete this year, rumors are out there that they may be trying to swing something with oakland to possibly get Holliday and Cabrera

It's amazing how teams sign players to big contract deals then many times a year or two into the deal the contract is considered a big burden and they'll even eat some of the contract after trading the guy.

It makes no sense that owners have signed these guys to such big deals. The cycle is amazing. Sign guys fpr zillions of dollars then try to dump the contracts a year or two later.

What about the Cardinals and their OF? I know a few months back people were murmuring about Rick Ankiel (both positively and negatively) but they Cards do have 4 talented OFers in Ludwick, Ankiel, Rasmus, and Duncan, and La Russa has openly said he's had trouble getting all of them playing time. I know Ankiel isn't having the best season (somewhere down around .215 this year), but overall they are all pretty good options. The Cards be a good option to peruse considering they should be looking for someone else in the infield, maybe Fields might garner some interest.

QUOTE (BearSox @ Jul 19, 2009 -> 01:37 AM)
I'm a big fan of Dan Murphy. But I don't think the Mets would be willing to sell now on him already, he's got a lot of potential with that bat.

As am I. But he's had big issues with the Mets this season being out of the lineup etc. after they had such high hopes on him as their #2 hitter. I think he can still do that, but Citi Field doesn't suit him, and I almost think he needs to get out of there just for his own confidence more than anything else.

Plus the Mets are 42-47 and 8.5 GB ATM, so they need to do something (firing Jerry Manuel would probably be a start).