Sox Should Trade for OFer by deadline

beck72

QUOTE (The Baconator @ Jul 19, 2009 -> 02:32 AM)
What about the Cardinals and their OF? I know a few months back people were murmuring about Rick Ankiel (both positively and negatively) but they Cards do have 4 talented OFers in Ludwick, Ankiel, Rasmus, and Duncan, and La Russa has openly said he's had trouble getting all of them playing time. I know Ankiel isn't having the best season (somewhere down around .215 this year), but overall they are all pretty good options. The Cards be a good option to peruse considering they should be looking for someone else in the infield, maybe Fields might garner some interest.

Ankiel's contract runs out at the end of the season and he's a Bora$$ client IIRC, so that would count him out. Ludwick would probably be the guy you'd target out of the 4 there I would say.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Jul 19, 2009 -> 01:54 AM)
Agree, 100%. He'd fit perfectly on this team.

The Marlins are after a closer right now it seems, IIRC they were after Matt Capps a few weeks back.

Here's a scenario, would you trade Jenks for say 2 spects plus Ross, and then flip those spects, plus at least 2-3 premium ones on our side for Roy Halladay?

QUOTE (DBAHO @ Jul 18, 2009 -> 11:53 AM)
The Marlins are after a closer right now it seems, IIRC they were after Matt Capps a few weeks back.

Here's a scenario, would you trade Jenks for say 2 spects plus Ross, and then flip those spects, plus at least 2-3 premium ones on our side for Roy Halladay?

Yes.

If the Marlins offered us a similar package to the one that they gave to Texas for Urbina, I'd probably do that trade in a heartbeat.

QUOTE (SouthsideDon48 @ Jul 18, 2009 -> 01:09 PM)
I know a lot of people hate him, but I'd actually try and get Elijah Dukes. I think he can be had for cheap.

I dont hate him, but the guy has 3 uhauls full of baggage.

QUOTE (beck72 @ Jul 18, 2009 -> 11:28 AM)
Someone like him. But he's their starter and the Marlins aren't out of it. If the sox traded BA and a bullpen arm...

Cameron Maybin is the X-factor here. Assuming he hits, Cody Ross is not only expendable, but no longer part of the Marlins future plans.

QUOTE (knightni @ Jul 18, 2009 -> 01:07 PM)
Possibly a better 3B than Fields or Beckham.

Beckham in 2008: .281 AVG, .783 OPS, .338 wOBA, -5.8 UZR/150, $400K

Huff in 2008: .261 AVG, .754 OPS, .316 wOBA, -4.4 UZR/150 (career number at 3B), $8M

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Jul 18, 2009 -> 03:56 PM)
Beckham in 2008: .281 AVG, .783 OPS, .338 wOBA, -5.8 UZR/150, $400K

Huff in 2008: .261 AVG, .754 OPS, .316 wOBA, -4.4 UZR/150 (career number at 3B), $8M

I meant possibly a better fielding 3B.

The good thing about Huff is that he should cost nothing in players if you pick up less than 1/2 season of salary. He's a decent run producer who would help us.

Williams has had chances to get some moderate outfielders and seems uninterested. He didn't like Sweeney (basically threw him in the Swisher trade), easily could have grabbed Josh Anderson and didn't, etc. That guy from Texas is in this mold, should come cheap, but I don't see Williams wanting him.

QUOTE (GreenSox @ Jul 18, 2009 -> 03:21 PM)
The good thing about Huff is that he should cost nothing in players if you pick up less than 1/2 season of salary. He's a decent run producer who would help us.

Williams has had chances to get some moderate outfielders and seems uninterested. He didn't like Sweeney (basically threw him in the Swisher trade), easily could have grabbed Josh Anderson and didn't, etc. That guy from Texas is in this mold, should come cheap, but I don't see Williams wanting him.

Huff is in the final year of his deal and is only due about 3.5M for the rest of this year. If they do move him around the deadline they'll be looking for something decent in return, saving a little money this year isn't incentive enough to give away their 32 year old starting 1B for nothing.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jul 18, 2009 -> 07:57 PM)
Per Gammons, KW won't be picking up an OF.

Link? I don't buy it. If Quentin was going to be fine, I could see putting resources into the 5th starter. But Carlos could go down anytime with the stress of running on his foot. Not having a Plan B leaves the sox open to a huge hole in the OF.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Jul 18, 2009 -> 07:59 PM)
I don't care if you go to church every Sunday or donate to charity. Dukes is a talent. I'd love to have him.

Getting Dukes goes against everything the sox have tried to build this decade. Dukes' problems are well-documented and has serious issues.

QUOTE (beck72 @ Jul 18, 2009 -> 03:38 PM)
Getting Dukes goes against everything the sox have tried to build this decade. Dukes' problems are well-documented and has serious issues.

We definitely have learned from bringing Wil Cordero, Royce Clayton, Albert Belle, D'Angelo Jimenez, Nick Swisher and Kenny Lofton into this organization.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jul 18, 2009 -> 11:02 PM)
That was his point. Pods to CF.

With Quentin still playing mostly DH, he's still iffy for LF.

I can see why the sox might tell Gammons, etc that they don't NEED an OFer, esp with Q coming back. Teams will try and rake others who seem and are desperate.