Brewers after Halladay

DC23MVP

Cincinnati - Might the Brewers try to land the biggest fish on the pitching market for the second consecutive summer?

Because I knew what Toronto would want in exchange for right-hander Roy Halladay, I initially thought the Brewers had no chance of jumping into the bidding. But, after speaking with general manager Doug Melvin today about Halladay, I'm not so sure.

With Dave Bush not coming off the DL as expected, perhaps the Brewers are thinking about making another bold move, as they did last July when they traded for CC Sabathia.

Melvin told me he has talked to Blue Jays about Halladay, who is being shopped around to potential suitors. Melvin wouldn’t say whether he thought those talks could lead to anything.

He often reveals when he doesn’t have a match with a team but he wouldn’t say that, either.

“We’ve had a conversation with them,” said Melvin. “I don’t want to get into it. I don’t want to characterize it at this point.”

The Blue Jays have made it known that it would take a substantial package of players to acquire Halladay, one of the top pitchers in the majors who is signed through 2010 and has a no-trade clause in his contract. It is doubtful the Brewers could make an acceptable offer without including one of their top prospects, third baseman Mat Gamel and shortstop Alcides Escobar.

Melvin has said in the past he considered Gamel and Escobar “untouchables” in any trade talks but hedged ever so slightly on that characterization during our conversation today.

“I’ve said it would be highly unlikely (to trade either),” said Melvin. “They are as ‘untouchable’ as any player can be. I don’t want to say anything more.”

In other words, if you can get a pitcher like Halladay on an otherwise bleak pitching market, you have to consider everything. The Brewers obviously have talked internally about Halladay because Melvin mentioned that he would have the right to demand a trade at the end of the season from any team that acquired him, despite his contract running through 2010.

This would be huge for the city of Milwaukee if they can land the best pitcher in baseball. Rumors here is that the Brewers have a package in place but have yet made a formal offer to the Jays and Gord Ash the Brewers exec. was in Toronto yesterday.

It all depends on who they give up though for me.

QUOTE (knightni @ Jul 18, 2009 -> 05:23 PM)
Hardy, McGehee, Gamel, Christopher Cody, Wily Peralta, and Parra?

I don't think anyone is getting both one of their SS's and Gamel off of them. I'd bet the best offer they give is: Pick a SS, throw in Parra, and then some other minor pieces.

QUOTE (DC23MVP @ Jul 18, 2009 -> 04:41 PM)
This would be huge for the city of Milwaukee if they can land the best pitcher in baseball. Rumors here is that the Brewers have a package in place but have yet made a formal offer to the Jays and Gord Ash the Brewers exec. was in Toronto yesterday.

It all depends on who they give up though for me.

I thought this thread was about Roy Halladay?

Wouldn't it be something for Milwaukee to acquire two big name pitchers in two straight years and still not win anything? Talk about giving up the future for an NL Central title...

Their rotation still wouldn't look that good with Halladay.

1. Halladay

2. Gallardo

3. Bush

4. Suppan

5. Looper

The Cards' rotation can certainly compete with that.

Edited by chw42

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Jul 18, 2009 -> 10:53 PM)
Halladay doesn't push the Brewers over the top. Their back end of the rotation remains really shaky, while the Cubs appear to be finding some footing. Ideally, they solidify the catching spot and work on finding cheaper options for their rotation.

A series against the Nationals prove nothing, I'm not saying they're not going to be good in the 2nd half, but beating the Natinonals 3 out of 4 or a sweep does nothing to impress me

QUOTE (SoxFan562004 @ Jul 19, 2009 -> 02:08 AM)
A series against the Nationals prove nothing, I'm not saying they're not going to be good in the 2nd half, but beating the Natinonals 3 out of 4 or a sweep does nothing to impress me

With Lee and Ramirez hitting, the Brewers and Cardinals don't have the punch to match the Cubs.

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Jul 19, 2009 -> 01:28 AM)
With Lee and Ramirez hitting, the Brewers and Cardinals don't have the punch to match the Cubs.

Cubs don't have any pitching. Cards or Brewers really don't either, but an addition like Halladay to either St. Louis or Milwaukee puts either team on top. You can't really expect Pujols to stop, and the other guys around him seem to be heating up, and Milwaukee has a very potent offense as well. If either of those two get Halladay, the division is virtually their's.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Jul 19, 2009 -> 10:03 AM)
Cubs don't have any pitching. Cards or Brewers really don't either, but an addition like Halladay to either St. Louis or Milwaukee puts either team on top. You can't really expect Pujols to stop, and the other guys around him seem to be heating up, and Milwaukee has a very potent offense as well. If either of those two get Halladay, the division is virtually their's.

Wow...wrong

Edited by fathom

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Jul 19, 2009 -> 01:28 AM)

I need to see more from him to say he's "hitting." He has to hit a decent amount of home runs, one HR doesn't convince me.

QUOTE (SoxFan562004 @ Jul 19, 2009 -> 01:35 PM)
I need to see more from him to say he's "hitting." He has to hit a decent amount of home runs, one HR doesn't convince me.

I should of prefaced my comment with an If. There is a good question mark with Ramirez, and you're right to call me out on it.

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Jul 19, 2009 -> 12:50 PM)
I should of prefaced my comment with an If. There is a good question mark with Ramirez, and you're right to call me out on it.

Yeah, I agree that there's a possability he may come back as a force, but I haven't seen it yet.