Sox Win!!

whitesoxfan101

Nice job Buehrle, Bacon and Thome were both very good as well, and we won. Other than that, I'd like to try and forget about today because we did a lot of things wrong, gave away a lot of runs we should have scored, and i'm a bit worried about our bullpen at the moment. But 1.5 back is as close as we've been since May 3rd, so I will take it.

Edited by whitesoxfan101

QUOTE (whitesoxfan101 @ Jul 18, 2009 -> 04:42 PM)
Nice job Buehrle, Bacon and Thome were both very good as well, and we won. Other than that, I'd like to try and forget about today because we did a lot of things wrong, gave away a lot of runs we should have scored, and i'm a bit worried about our bullpen at the moment. But 1.5 back is as close as we've been since May 3rd, so I will take it.

This may sound weird, but in a way, I kind of like it when the bullpen falters and we win anyway. It makes me thinks they'll perform better next time.

We're on our way, baby!

QUOTE (Stan Bahnsen @ Jul 18, 2009 -> 05:44 PM)
This may sound weird, but in a way, I kind of like it when the bullpen falters and we win anyway. It makes me thinks they'll perform better next time.

We're on our way, baby!

Our bullpen has been wobbling a bit recently, and the process started at almost the same time it did last year in that regard, which is why i'm concerned. The one difference though is the wobble started last year due to Bobby getting hurt, and right now everybody is healthy and we did add an arm in Pena as well, so hopefully this is just a temporary dry spell like every bullpen goes through, and not a full flegded disaster like the bullpen in the 2nd half was last year at times.

QUOTE (Karko's Throat Skin @ Jul 18, 2009 -> 05:48 PM)
Stan Bahnse...I agree. Its a weird thought process. But I feel its better to get the bad outings out of the way in blowouts or games we have a decent lead in the 9th. Baseball is a game of averages and might as well get the bad ones when we can handle them.

I actually agree with this too in general, which is why what the bullpen did last night (with the exception of the homer Linebrink gave up, since he has some issues and it cut the lead to only 1) didn't bother me because the numbers always eventually catch up with you. But it was too close today for that crap.

QUOTE (chw42 @ Jul 18, 2009 -> 05:50 PM)
5-0 now on Fox Saturday Baseball. If it means a win, I'll take Dick Stockton's horrible play by play.

Bobby's starting to worry me a little bit. But then again, he's always bad against the O's.

Yeah at least Bobby did finish it today, his struggles against Baltimore are odd though. As for Dick Stockton, I think I read somewhere recently that the White Sox have a really good record in games where he broadcasts and the Cubs have a terrible record (including two playoff sweeps) in games he does. Weird.

Edited by whitesoxfan101

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Jul 18, 2009 -> 05:52 PM)
Beckham is arguably our best hitter, right now. Amazing from a guy who has scouts on his ass the minute that 0-20 was his primary offensive statistic.

As Hawk says "scouts are like players, there are good ones, ok ones, and bad ones".

QUOTE (Stan Bahnsen @ Jul 18, 2009 -> 05:44 PM)

We're on our way, baby!

Didn't the Sox win the game Jose Paniagua was featured? Hawk still talks about it. While I really wonder if his outing had anything really to do with the Twins overtaking the White Sox in 2003, if your guys are starting to get hit around, it has to be concerning. It may be they just had 4 days off and were anticipating it beforehand, and are trying to get their feet under them afterward. I hope it is because the Sox can't win if Linebrink, Thornton and Jenks struggle for very long.

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Jul 18, 2009 -> 05:52 PM)
Beckham is arguably our best hitter, right now. Amazing from a guy who has scouts on his ass the minute that 0-20 was his primary offensive statistic.

I don't think anyone a month ago would have though Beckham would be flirting with .300 on July 18th.

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Jul 18, 2009 -> 06:52 PM)

Since his first 4 games (0-13), he's hitting .330 / .402 /.491

When the power comes, he's going to be a top-3 3B in the league.

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Jul 18, 2009 -> 04:52 PM)

We've got a lot of guys going good with the bat right now. Thome, Paulie and JD hare hitting like the first half of '06. Pods and Lexi setting the table very well. Getz improving a lot. We're a potent offensive team, even with a liability like Wise or BA forced to play. If Q can make it back...look out!

But, yes, Bacon is a stud, and he should only get better.

QUOTE (BlackBetsy @ Jul 18, 2009 -> 06:00 PM)
Since his first 4 games (0-13), he's hitting .330 / .402 /.491

When the power comes, he's going to be a top-3 3B in the league.

If you don't count all the outs he's made, Wise is batting 1.000.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jul 18, 2009 -> 05:54 PM)
Didn't the Sox win the game Jose Paniagua was featured? Hawk still talks about it. While I really wonder if his outing had anything really to do with the Twins overtaking the White Sox in 2003, if your guys are starting to get hit around, it has to be concerning. It may be they just had 4 days off and were anticipating it beforehand, and are trying to get their feet under them afterward. I hope it is because the Sox can't win if Linebrink, Thornton and Jenks struggle for very long.

Yes we did win the Paniagua game. The idea that game had any impact on the 2003 race is one of the great mythys in recent White Sox memory too. It was an embedded excuse Hawk threw out there right away, and people bought it. We lost the division that year because that team underachieved, which is also why Jerry Manuel was fired.

QUOTE (Karko's Throat Skin @ Jul 18, 2009 -> 06:09 PM)
Difference is Beckham started 2-28, Wise continues to go 2-28.

I was trying to make the point that it doesn't matter what someone's stats are if you don't count their bad games.

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Jul 18, 2009 -> 06:11 PM)
I was trying to make the point that it doesn't matter what someone's stats are if you don't count their bad games.

It might be a little different when you're discounting the first few games of his major league career.

QUOTE (PlaySumFnJurny @ Jul 18, 2009 -> 06:38 PM)
I think he meant Jerry will be fired again.

Oh yeah, my bad, I'm not very smart at times. :lolhitting

At least Jerry has excuses this year like injuries and the Phillies being the defending champs though. But I agree he'll be gone, Minaya needs to find a scapegoat to overshadow the fact he's doing a poor job.