7/18 games

Balta1701

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Through 5 innings, Hudson's given up 5 hits, no runs, no walks, 4 K's. Birmingham tacked on 2 more runs off of Parker, who also gave up 3 walks & 1 K. He's out of the game. Good to see B-ham get to one of the best pitching prospects in the minors.

QUOTE (fathom @ Jul 18, 2009 -> 09:13 PM)
If not for the game in which Hudson gave up 4 runs I believe in the 7th inning, he would have a 1.50 ERA in AA.

He's been excellent. At this point, the only thing I can see that would keep him from being at least solid in the Majors would be injuries. Brandon McCarthy is doing alright considering he had a major injury and is in a big hitters park as a strikeout/flyball pitcher.

QUOTE (SoxAce @ Jul 18, 2009 -> 09:19 PM)
Holmberg with a nice outing in relief for Bristol.

It's good to see him have a good outing. Any sort of success would be a victory. I can't imagine going from high school to pro ball, even in rookie Bristol.

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Jul 18, 2009 -> 10:25 PM)
At least we got rid of that soulless bastard Swisher! Right? Right? Right? Also, I really like what I'm seeing from Jared Mitchell.

As I said many times before...

The mistake wasn't trading Swisher, the mistake was trading FOR Swisher.

QUOTE (BearSox @ Jul 18, 2009 -> 10:30 PM)
As I said many times before...

The mistake wasn't trading Swisher, the mistake was trading FOR Swisher.

We've been over this. You don't evaluate players like most people. I disagree.

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Jul 19, 2009 -> 12:48 AM)
The Dan Hudson Box score experience continues to bring a huge smile to my face, I also wish "my boy" Holmberg would make the Bristol rotation. I think putting him in the pen severely limits his ability to throw all of his pitches and establish command.

What I find weird is that Hudson went from being a 2 to 1 GB/FB pitcher in Kannapolis to a 2 to 1 FB/GB in Birmingham. I could see is FB rate going up as he proceeds, but this is pretty radical. Small sample size, of course, but 36 innings is over 100 outs...somewhat meaningful. 1.44 GB/FB in Great Falls.

Whether Hudson is successful at the Cell has a LOT to do with GB/FB rate.

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Jul 18, 2009 -> 11:48 PM)
The Dan Hudson Box score experience continues to bring a huge smile to my face, I also wish "my boy" Holmberg would make the Bristol rotation. I think putting him in the pen severely limits his ability to throw all of his pitches and establish command.

I think it's about being careful with Holbermg's arm. He already pitched a high school season and being from Florida probably has been playing year round while also doing a lot of pitching. I am sure he will start next year, but this year, they just wanna get his feet wet without killing his arm.