7/19 Sox vs O's 1:05pm CSN

knightni

• Replies 248
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (chw42 @ Jul 19, 2009 -> 07:59 PM)
This team always seems to mail it in when they've won the series.

Every interview I hear, players are out to "win series". Yeah, we get it, but you should sweep the Orioles when they're the worst road team in the AL and have a pitcher on the mound with a ERA above 5.

That would be the vintage Paul Konerko philosophy. Hard to argue with it though, but with our schedule in the 2nd half, we can't have too many of these meltdowns vs below .500 teams.

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Jul 19, 2009 -> 03:00 PM)
There is no excuse for Wise being on this team over Fields. Field can (arguably) play 3b, 1b, and Lf. Wise can play the OF, can't hit, or field, and is not a former #1 of the organization.

Where is fields, he was getting hot for a while and then... nothing. Reminded me of the hot streaks Brian would go through and then he would go mysteriously missing.

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Jul 19, 2009 -> 08:00 PM)
There is no excuse for Wise being on this team over Fields. Field can (arguably) play 3b, 1b, and Lf. Wise can play the OF, can't hit, or field, and is not a former #1 of the organization.

Fields can't play LF!

QUOTE (Misplaced_Sox @ Jul 19, 2009 -> 02:56 PM)
So you think putting Poreda in a situation in which he had to be perfect, with location, with the game on a line, needing two outs with the bases loaded..... Is a good test.

I would see a little bit of your point if he was getting even semi-regular work in a real game setting, not a spot start in some weak situation every week. If you haven't put Poreda in regular spots with runners on, and the game on the line, why do you make the jump when he has sat for almost two weeks into that spot unless you are Ozzie, just being Ozzie.

He walked both guys he faced. It was awful. Do you think Ozzie should put him in the rotation so the other manager can stack his line-up against him and do you think that will all of a sudden make Poreda throw the ball over the plate? If he pisses his pants because the bases are loaded on July 18th in the 5th inning against the Baltimore Orioles, he's not ready to play for a contender in the major leagues. He needs to post an APB on the 97 mph fastball he was supposed to possess.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jul 19, 2009 -> 03:02 PM)
He walked both guys he faced. It was awful. Do you think Ozzie should put him in the rotation so the other manager can stack his line-up against him and do you think that will all of a sudden make Poreda throw the ball over the plate? If he pisses his pants because the bases are loaded on July 18th in the 5th inning against the Baltimore Orioles, he's not ready to play for a contender in the major leagues. He needs to post an APB on the 97 mph fastball he was supposed to possess.

I was not advocating putting him in the starting lineup without giving more repetitive chances out of the bullpen. To see if he could gradually adjust to MLB level of play. You know like one of the 10,000,000 times Ozzie goes to Linebrink on zero rest with a runner on, put in Poreda. Build confidence dont break it down, how many times does breaking someone really work?

QUOTE (Misplaced_Sox @ Jul 19, 2009 -> 03:07 PM)
I was not advocating putting him in the starting lineup without giving more repetitive chances out of the bullpen. To see if he could gradually adjust to MLB level of play. You know like one of the 10,000,000 times Ozzie goes to Linebrink on zero rest with a runner on, put in Poreda. Build confidence dont break it down, how many times does breaking someone really work?

Oh, so put him in the exact position you criticized Ozzie putting him today?

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jul 19, 2009 -> 03:08 PM)
Oh, so put him in the exact position you criticized Ozzie putting him today?

One was bases loaded, one is with a man on, much different situations.

Did you really think Poreda was going to succeed int hat situation, never being in that situation, with how much he has played?

Let me ask this question: does anyone on here think Poreda should actually be in the majors right now? If no one objects, can we just talk about more fun things like Quentin returning and the invention of the peep hole video camera?

QUOTE (fathom @ Jul 19, 2009 -> 03:11 PM)
Let me ask this question: does anyone on here think Poreda should actually be in the majors right now? If no one objects, can we just talk about more fun things like Quentin returning and the invention of the peep hole video camera?

He should probably be off the roster once Colon comes back...

QUOTE (fathom @ Jul 19, 2009 -> 03:11 PM)

No.

QUOTE (fathom @ Jul 19, 2009 -> 04:11 PM)

Erin Andrews and her lawyer are now watching this board. Congrats. :lolhitting

QUOTE (Misplaced_Sox @ Jul 19, 2009 -> 03:11 PM)
One was bases loaded, one is with a man on, much different situations.

Did you really think Poreda was going to succeed int hat situation, never being in that situation, with how much he has played?

How many times has he come in with a guy on? Probably none. So why would he be successful then? Did he even throw one strike today? The pitch that was swung at wasn't a strike.

QUOTE (chw42 @ Jul 19, 2009 -> 08:12 PM)
He should probably be off the roster once Colon comes back...

Colon will be back next Friday (for the DH). I'm not a fan of calling up someone you're not sure about for such a big game, but whatever.

QUOTE (chw42 @ Jul 19, 2009 -> 09:14 PM)
Guthrie came into this game 0-3 with a 6.00 ERA against us lifetime. Where did he find this magic all of a sudden?

I'm pretty sure CQ owned him last year. Our hitters look like they had a very long night last night on the town. Very sluggish.

QUOTE (fathom @ Jul 19, 2009 -> 03:16 PM)
I'm pretty sure CQ owned him last year. Our hitters look like they had a very long night last night on the town. Very sluggish.

That concert should of let out in time for them to get a good night rest.

QUOTE (fathom @ Jul 19, 2009 -> 03:13 PM)
Colon will be back next Friday (for the DH). I'm not a fan of calling up someone you're not sure about for such a big game, but whatever.

Yea, unfortanatley we don't really have other options. However, I did hear there was a Freddy sighting in the clubhouse today. . .