We love you Gordon, oh yes we do

chisoxfan09

QUOTE (lostfan @ Aug 8, 2009 -> 11:35 PM)
Since you probably have the window still open, where does Markakis rank?

10th though his arm ranks 4th (Rios is 3rd, Francoeur and Soriano ahead of them). Nick's UZR numbers have been quite bad this year.

• Replies 518
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Aug 9, 2009 -> 12:41 AM)
10th though his arm ranks 4th (Rios is 3rd, Francoeur and Soriano ahead of them). Nick's UZR numbers have been quite bad this year.

I've only gotten to about 3 O's games this year and haven't gotten him to play. Usually he's quick, not much will fall between him and Jones out there. And running on him is usually pretty dumb.

Edited by lostfan

Brief breakdown from Fangraphs for the offensive rookie of the year candidates.

“Gordon Beckham, 3B, Chicago White Sox

Beckham has not been in the Majors quite as long as the other three rookies, but he has arguably made the most noise over the past month. After a slow start (that oddly had some writers calling him a bust with a lousy swing), the infielder finished his first month in the Majors with a line of .267/.353/.387 in 75 at-bats. Since then, he’s been one of the club’s best hitters and now has an overall line of .302/.369/.483 with six homers in 205 at-bats. The 22-year-old also has 19 doubles, which is tops amongst rookies in the AL. Beckham also leads in average, on-base percentage, slugging and RBIs. He’s third in homers behind Reimold and teammate Jayson Nix. The former college and minor league shortstop has also been learning his new position on the fly at the hot corner.

Chris Getz, 2B, Chicago White Sox

A former fourth-round pick out of the University of Michigan, Getz just keeps plugging along. The middle infielder isn’t flashy but he’s put together a respectable first season in the Majors with a line of .268/.320/.368 in 310 at-bats. He has 18 steals in 20 attempts. Getz has also scored 43 runs. He doesn’t have much power (.100 ISO) but he has a healthy line drive rate at 19.7%. The 25-year-old has a solid strikeout rate at 13.9 K% but his walk rate is a little low at 6.1 BB%. Getz looks like a solid No. 2 hitter. He leads AL rookies in hits and is tied with Elvis Andrus in runs scored”

http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/index.php/t...-rookie-hitters

QUOTE (earthshiner @ Aug 10, 2009 -> 11:19 PM)
2 is retired and I think that only Ricky Seilheimer has worn 6 since Jorge Orta. so that seems like a long shot.

I was kidding about 2, should've put that in green. I said 2 because of all the Jeter comparisons around here.

Who cares? Give the man 6. It's not retired, and I can't think of a better man to wear it.

QUOTE (earthshiner @ Aug 10, 2009 -> 11:38 PM)
I didn't get one for this very reason, seems a lot of rookies change numbers before their second year

meh its just a shirt, if it have been a jersey id be pissed

Plus I get to wear a Beckham throwback shirt if he does do it now.

Then again whoever makes the jerseys and shirts for MLB might not allow Beckham to change it because I'm sure they have a bunch of jerseys/shirts that are not sold yet and would become worthless if he changed his number.

Edited by kev211

We have an off day today. He should be playing tomorrow.

Yeah, he looked a little tired but in last´s nights game he had a really good stroke and as per usual hit the ball to all fields. He has such a natural opposite field swing. Is he the type of hitter that is just a pure hitter? Any experts on the board agree that Beckham is just a natural contact hitter but who has the uncanny added ability to put the ball in play in the exact location as the situation requires? I see him do this often to the opposite field and just marvel as he is doing this as a rookie. Taking walks, being patient and oh yeah playing better defense at third. But the real question is who was the last great pure contact hitter in the AL? I remember Rod Carew from the left side but I am not sure comparing Becks to him at a young age is correct. I leave that for the experts. Anyone else agree he is getting better and more comfortable at 3rd?

Edited by chisoxfan09