Under the radar pitchers

Lemon_44

While the media and fans are focussing on trying to acquire the likes of Halladay or Haren, who are some other lower profile pitchers you think KW might look at? I don't think he'll make the move to get a Halladay, Haren, or even re-visit Peavy and Oswalt. However, there are some good pitchers out there could help out the Sox alot down the strecth and wouldn't cost the entire farm system to acquire. The number 1 guy, to me, that stands out is Aaron Harang from Cincy. They are falling out of the race and he's not getting many wins for them. He's 5-10 this year, and after a 6-17 last year, he could probably be had at a relatively cheap price. In 2006-2007 he was a combined 32-17 witha sub 4.00 era. The downside is that he's making 14 mill this year and hasn't been the same pitcher, results-wise, since signing his new,big money deal. That could be a red flag. I was at the game when he faced the Sox in Cincy and he looked to have pretty good stuff so maybe he needs a change of scenery. A couple other guys that come to mind are Doug Davis from Arizona and Jarrod Washburn from Seattle. KW likes trading with the D'backs and Davis, while 4-9, has a 3.41 era. To get Washburn, Seattle may have to slip a bit further out but he's having a nice year at 7-6 with a sub 3.00 era. Some younger guys that may be harder to get that KW may look to make a run at could be Lannan,from Washington, and Zach Duke,from Pittsburgh. With the trades the Pirates have been making maybe KW could get Duke for a package of BA, Lillibridge, and McCulloch.

QUOTE (knightni @ Jul 19, 2009 -> 07:43 AM)
I'd love to get Ohlendorf.

He'd be so perfect for this rotation.

I would love to have Ohlendorf too, but I think the Pittsburgh players and fans would collectively burn down PNC park if the front office continues to trade away their future for another future down the line. I think they have finally had enough in Pittsburgh

This seems an appropriate place to throw this into discussion. What about Zach Duke? I think if I were Kenny, I'd approach the Pirates and ask for Duke and Sanchez...see what they'd want. As McLouth is now in Atlanta, Anderson might be a great fit...along with Richard or Poreda (or both) and a prospect or two. I would personally consider including Getz in a deal like this, too. Not sure about Sanchez' age, but an infield of Beckham, Ramirez, Sanchez, Konerko is great. And if we'd just go after Duke alone, what about Anderson and choice of Richard/Poreda for him? My 2 cents into trade speculation.

QUOTE (buckweaver @ Jul 19, 2009 -> 10:08 AM)
This seems an appropriate place to throw this into discussion. What about Zach Duke? I think if I were Kenny, I'd approach the Pirates and ask for Duke and Sanchez...see what they'd want. As McLouth is now in Atlanta, Anderson might be a great fit...along with Richard or Poreda (or both) and a prospect or two. I would personally consider including Getz in a deal like this, too. Not sure about Sanchez' age, but an infield of Beckham, Ramirez, Sanchez, Konerko is great. And if we'd just go after Duke alone, what about Anderson and choice of Richard/Poreda for him? My 2 cents into trade speculation.

McCutcheon is their CF, I believe.

Duke, Ohlendorf, Maholm, Hanrahan, and Karstens are all still young and cheap. I don't think that they'll be dealt for a few years.

QUOTE (knightni @ Jul 19, 2009 -> 09:11 AM)
McCutcheon is their CF, I believe.

Duke, Ohlendorf, Maholm, Hanrahan, and Karstens are all still young and cheap. I don't think that they'll be dealt for a few years.

They also have Snell in the minors. He could be a Coop style reclamation project, but I think Pittsburgh hangs on to him a bit longer to see if they can get him back to the form they thought he had when he signed his deal

If the Pirates are going to continue to make idiotic moves like the Aramis Ramirez trade to their division rival, then that franchise won't continue to exist much longer.

It's one thing to trade away McLouth/Bay or to give up on Van Benschoten, it's quite another to jettison your younger pitching core. If you gut that franchise any further, the fans might never come back in significant numbers to support a team in Pittsburgh ... in a region like CLE/DET that has been so adversely affected by the economic downturn.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jul 19, 2009 -> 11:44 AM)
If the Pirates are going to continue to make idiotic moves like the Aramis Ramirez trade to their division rival, then that franchise won't continue to exist much longer.

It's one thing to trade away McLouth/Bay or to give up on Van Benschoten, it's quite another to jettison your younger pitching core. If you gut that franchise any further, the fans might never come back in significant numbers to support a team in Pittsburgh ... in a region like CLE/DET that has been so adversely affected by the economic downturn.

The Pirates have a whole different regime in place since the Ramirez and Lofton deal. I really like the McLouth deal for them, as well as the Morgan deal, and I think they got some good value for Bay when they traded him. The low-balling of Wilson and Sanchez is good for them too. They should dump both of those guys if they can, especially Sanchez so they don't have to pay him next season. They could realistically sign a couple reclamation/down year players over the offseason to much better deals and hope to then trade those players at the deadline. Orlando Cabrera for example might be available for half of what Sanchez makes next year if he option vests, and if he rebounds he'll be worth something nice this time next year.

If I were them I'd also take offers on some of their young pitchers, but I wouldn't deal them just to deal them. If someone is going to give me a guy with ace potential who is pretty close or a studly position player who is pretty close, as well as a couple other pieces, I'd definitely deal a guy like Maholm no sweat. The FA market is going to be very kind to them over the coming seasons so they might as well accumulate as much minor league talent as they can and then supplement that talent with cheap veterans until they have a young core in place that is capable of making a run at the top of the division. The only guy I'd have as an untouchable on the Pirates is McCutcheon.

I have not seen this but it occurred to me that an under the radar pitcher who will indeed be a Free Agent this year is none other than Jason Marquis!! Having a hell of a year in hitter friendly oors Field and also on the road. Remains to be seen if he shuts down as he has in previous years in the 2nd half of the season. Would he be a good candidate to go after in the off season?

I wouldnt mind getting Bailey or Harang.

Bailey because of his upside and he has looked good in 3 of the starts e has had since being called up.

Harang had been good for a nice 3 year stretch before encountering injuries and what not. He has been horrible his last 10+ starts for Cinci - I think I read that he hasnt won a game.

A little change of scenery, put him on a competitive club where he isn't expected to be the Ace and that mythical Coop magic and maybe we'll have ourselves a ballplayer and he'll come at half the price of most of the big names.

QUOTE (Pumpkin Escobar @ Jul 20, 2009 -> 10:19 AM)
I wouldnt mind getting Bailey or Harang.

Bailey because of his upside and he has looked good in 3 of the starts e has had since being called up.

Harang had been good for a nice 3 year stretch before encountering injuries and what not. He has been horrible his last 10+ starts for Cinci - I think I read that he hasnt won a game.

A little change of scenery, put him on a competitive club where he isn't expected to be the Ace and that mythical Coop magic and maybe we'll have ourselves a ballplayer and he'll come at half the price of most of the big names.

Dusty Baker ruined him according to a buddy of mine who's a huge Reds fan. He said Harang hasn't been the same since Dusty used him on an off day last year. I guess he threw something like 5 innings in an extra inning game and never really recovered.

i just looked it up. Harang pitched 4 innings of an 18 inning game against SD last year. He was lights out that game,pitching 4 innings,2 hits,0 runs, and 9 k's.

He threw 63 pitches that day 3 days after throwing 103 pitches. He then made his next scheduled start but only laste 73 pitches. It is intersting that his ERA did skyrocket after that. That occured on May 25 and he had an ERA of 3.32.It continually rose,almost evry start, to a season high 5.59 on Aug 16. during which he went 2-8.

Edited by Lemon_44