Films Thread

juddling

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Aug 27, 2009 -> 08:25 AM)
I'm going out on a limb and saying "Inglorious Basterds" is Quentin Tarantino's best film. It avoided the cliches and annoyances of his past flicks (don't get me wrong, I enjoy most, such as RD, PF, KB, etc).

I think Basterds will go down as his best film, and will stand the test of time for obvious reasons. The dramatic elements were actually quite believable in this one, and the cinematography was top-notch. I can see this film being studied for years.

What an impressive, enjoyable film.

I'll second that notion.

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (LosMediasBlancas @ Aug 27, 2009 -> 05:32 AM)
Glengarry Glen Ross is a man's movie. Every bit of dialouge is fantastic. Every actor is outstanding. Among my favs of all time.

just watched the bolded. Loved Pacino in it. WHy did he have to fall off the deep end.

Wow Basterds was awesome. I know you guys spoke highly of it but I was shocked how great that film was. Best movie I have seen in the past year and it was far better than Hurt Locker which I loved.

I've never been as motivated by this thread to see a film as I now am to see Basterds. I like 90% of Quentin's films as it is, but between some of the early reviews and my general preconception that Nazis are not necessarily the humor well I was half-expecting ths one to miss the mark. I'm glad to see a number of posters here give this one high marks and put it back in my sights.

QUOTE (FlaSoxxJim @ Aug 29, 2009 -> 12:25 AM)
I've never been as motivated by this thread to see a film as I now am to see Basterds. I like 90% of Quentin's films as it is, but between some of the early reviews and my general preconception that Nazis are not necessarily the humor well I was half-expecting ths one to miss the mark. I'm glad to see a number of posters here give this one high marks and put it back in my sights.

I beg to differ.

ShultzHoganKlink.jpg

QUOTE (FlaSoxxJim @ Aug 29, 2009 -> 12:25 AM)

"Hans Landa" is a barrel of monkeys.

QUOTE (JPN366 @ Aug 29, 2009 -> 11:41 AM)
"Hans Landa" is a barrel of monkeys.

Such a great character. The more I think about the movie, the more I love that performance.

I'm pretty sure it's etched in stone that Waltz will get an Oscar nomination, but I'm not sure which one it will be. Knowing that Brad Pitt was supposed to be the main actor in the movie makes me think he'll get the supporting nod, but the fact that he won best actor at Cannes and that he clearly stole the show and had the most screen time pushes me to think best actor.

Edited by Milkman delivers

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Aug 27, 2009 -> 08:25 AM)
I'm going out on a limb and saying "Inglorious Basterds" is Quentin Tarantino's best film. It avoided the cliches and annoyances of his past flicks (don't get me wrong, I enjoy most, such as RD, PF, KB, etc).

I think Basterds will go down as his best film, and will stand the test of time for obvious reasons. The dramatic elements were actually quite believable in this one, and the cinematography was top-notch. I can see this film being studied for years.

What an impressive, enjoyable film.

I am a big Tarantino fan and enjoyed I.B. a lot, but I'd still rate it a fairly distant second to P.F., mainly because I think P.F. is just an absolute classic.

I kind of like how QT always winkingly reminds you that you're watching a "Tarantino Film," from the voices of the unseen characters, to the anachronistic soundtrack tunes, to his use of cartoon-ish on screen titles. You didn't identify the "cliches or annoyances" you thought this film avoided, but in those ways, and, of course, with the dialogue and violence (especially the ever-present QT "Mexican standoff"), I thought it definitely played to all of his strengths. And in terms of the Landa character ond the outdoor cinematography, he definitely hit new highs.

Edited by PlaySumFnJurny

QUOTE (PlaySumFnJurny @ Aug 30, 2009 -> 11:04 AM)
You didn't identify the "cliches or annoyances"

I guess in most of his films it seems that there are conversations in there that are there just so people say "ohhh look at the writing how interesting and different!!" In IB, the conversations all seemed believable and unforced.

Not that I am dogging Tarantino, most of his films are proudly held in my collection, but it's something that's irked me, and I was glad to see it avoided in his latest film.

QUOTE (FlaSoxxJim @ Aug 30, 2009 -> 08:18 PM)
I enjoyed Jackie Brown when it came out. But it is rightly considered as a second-tier effort compared to Tarantino's most inspired stuff.

Agreed. I liked it in the theatre, got it on DVD, and it just isn't really a re-watchable movie, IMO.

My QT Movie Rankings:

1. Pulp Fiction

2. Inglorious Basterds

3. Kill Bill Volume 2

4. Resivoir Dogs

5. Kill Bill Volume 1

6. Jackie Brown

7. Death Proof

Top 4, I can watch over and over.

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Aug 30, 2009 -> 10:18 PM)
Just finished The Darjeeling Limited. Quite enjoyable. And that concludes my Wes Anderson screenings for the month.

Thumbs up or down on Zissou? I'm admittedly one of the cultists on this flawed gem.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Aug 30, 2009 -> 10:30 PM)
Thumbs up on all Anderson films.

When I saw Darjeeling Limited, we were the only people in the theater.

I really liked Jason Schwartzman in Darjeeling, and expected I'd see him turn up in more roles by now. Caught a glimpse of him as Ringo Starr in Walk Hard, but that's been about it.

QUOTE (FlaSoxxJim @ Aug 30, 2009 -> 09:37 PM)
I really liked Jason Schwartzman in Darjeeling, and expected I'd see him turn up in more roles by now. Caught a glimpse of him as Ringo Starr in Walk Hard, but that's been about it.

Shop Girl is worth checking out.