Films Thread

juddling

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Jan 25, 2010 -> 11:04 AM)
Anyone see the director's cut with added footage? Is there a noticeable amount of extra footage?

You get to see Dr. Manhattan's Smurf schlong 5 extra times.

Hey, master of atomic matter, whip yourself up some pants!

QUOTE (GoodAsGould @ Jan 25, 2010 -> 11:02 AM)
I never knew anything of the novel and I know the ending was changed(Knowing the novel ending I think for the better) but I loved the movie. Probably a top3 movie of the year for me.

I knew nothing of the book either, and I loved the movie. The ending was changed? After looking over the Wikipedia outline of the book, I don't see any difference between the endings.

Watched Apocalypse Now last night and forgot how outrageously out of shape Marlon Brando was at this time of his career. Wouldn’t recognize him if it wasn’t for his dark eyes and that entrenched voice of his. The movie itself has a nice plot, but it lags in several sequences which does not lend itself to repeated viewings as perhaps a Full Metal Jacket or Platoon.

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Jan 26, 2010 -> 12:01 PM)
Watched the unrated version of The Hangover on blu ray last night. I honestly couldn't tell the difference between that and the theatrical release. Still a great comedy.

They extended a few scenes, such as the speech on the roof of Caesar's. In the end, it needed nothing extra so it works regardless.

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Jan 25, 2010 -> 11:04 AM)
Anyone see the director's cut with added footage? Is there a noticeable amount of extra footage?

i've heard the Ultimate Cut is the way to go. It has Tales of the Black Freighter along with book-ending scenes at the newstand inserted into the movie itself.

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Jan 26, 2010 -> 12:21 PM)
i've heard the Ultimate Cut is the way to go. It has Tales of the Black Freighter along with book-ending scenes at the newstand inserted into the movie itself.

How many of these damn things do I need to buy? I thought those blu ray can hold a s***load of media? Why not put all versions on one blu ray?

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Jan 26, 2010 -> 12:16 PM)
Isnt there an additional 100 pictures at the end of the movie in the unrated version?

Eh, the pictures at the end of hte movie are the same. The "extra 100" are in a special features that includes the originals. It wasn't really worth the time to sit there and click like a slideshow. It's also a lot less entertaining witout Flo-Rida laying down the beats.

Finally saw "In the Valley of Elah," thought that was a great film, and I'm not even a big Tommie Lee Jones fan. Paul Haggis is great.

Up in the Air, I can't really say that's the best picture of the year either, the ending leaves you feeling a bit empty (yes, it fits with the character of Ryan Bingham, I get that), it's just not the "feel good" story that explains Slumdog Millionaire or even Avatar.

It's Complicated was okay, lol....I'm not going to say it was hilarious, it is interesting to reflect on Alex Baldwin going back to his Jack Ryan and "Malice" days and see how his career has evolved into comedy acting. I thought Steve Martin was quite good in an "understated" (for him) role.

Actually, Coraline was better than It's Complicated, although I would honestly give the Best Picture Award to UP. They did it with Beauty and the Beast, but it probably won't ever happen again.

Here in Thailand, I have to watch most movies through the internet or pirated versions...I managed to find 1/2 of THE HURT LOCKER and I was blown away by Jeremy Renner's performance but I can't say that's clearly the best movie either. Now having 10 movies in the best picture category makes things even more fractured with so many possibilities.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (Yoda @ Jan 26, 2010 -> 11:57 AM)
Watched Apocalypse Now last night and forgot how outrageously out of shape Marlon Brando was at this time of his career. Wouldn’t recognize him if it wasn’t for his dark eyes and that entrenched voice of his. The movie itself has a nice plot, but it lags in several sequences which does not lend itself to repeated viewings as perhaps a Full Metal Jacket or Platoon.

Was it the redux version? If not, it's the only version.

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Jan 26, 2010 -> 01:24 PM)
How many of these damn things do I need to buy? I thought those blu ray can hold a s***load of media? Why not put all versions on one blu ray?

It really is ridiculous that so many versions of this one film were released in such a limited time frame. Had I bought the normal version, I’d be pissed to know that I’d jumped the gun.

Edited by Thunderbolt

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jan 27, 2010 -> 12:17 AM)
Just watched Scarface for about the 48th time.

Damn I love the music in that movie.

Watched it again last year for the first time in forever. What a solid all-around film. Probably my favorite Pacino role after the Godfathers and Dog Day Afternoon. The latter film, if you haven't sought it out, is a life list must-see.

QUOTE (qwerty @ Jan 26, 2010 -> 05:50 PM)
Was it the redux version? If not, it's the only version.

Why do you say that? The original was considered one of the greatest American movies for 22 years before the Rudux was released.

Edited by Leonard Zelig

This has always bothered me. When people say "this is the biggest movie ever", they are often going by income from the movie... failing to take into account that the price of a movie ticket in 1939 is DRASTICALLY different than it is today, even if you factor in inflation. So, while Avatar is the highest grossing movie, it is far from the most SEEN movie. That title is still owned by "Gone With the Wind" (1939) which sold an amazing 202,044,600 tickets!

Here's the Top 20 movies of all time ... by number of tickets sold:

1 "Gone With the Wind" (1939) 202,044,600

2 "Star Wars" (1977) 178,119,600

3 "The Sound of Music" (1965) 142,415,400

4 "E.T.: The Extra-Terrestrial" (1982) 141,854,300

5 "The Ten Commandments" (1956) 131,000,000

6 "Titanic" (1997) 128,345,900

7 "Jaws" (1975) 128,078,800

8 "Doctor Zhivago" (1965) 124,135,500

9 "The Exorcist" (1973) 110,568,700

10 "Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs" (1937) 109,000,000

11 "101 Dalmatians" (1961) 99,917,300

12 "The Empire Strikes Back" (1980) 98,180,600

13 "Ben-Hur" (1959) 98,000,000

14 "Return of the Jedi" (1983) 94,059,400

15 "The Sting" (1973) 89,142,900

16 "Raiders of the Lost Ark" (1981) 88,141,900

17 "Jurassic Park" (1993) 86,205,800

18 "The Graduate" (1967) 85,571,400

19 "Star Wars: Episode I" (1999) 84,825,800

20 "Fantasia" (1941) 83,043,500

"Avatar," despite topping the worldwide gross list, by and by, is only No. 26 on the ticket sales list with 76,421,000 sold ... at least, so far...

QUOTE (Athomeboy_2000 @ Jan 27, 2010 -> 09:03 AM)
This has always bothered me. When people say "this is the biggest movie ever", they are often going by income from the movie... failing to take into account that the price of a movie ticket in 1939 is DRASTICALLY different than it is today, even if you factor in inflation. So, while Avatar is the highest grossing movie, it is far from the most SEEN movie. That title is still owned by "Gone With the Wind" (1939) which sold an amazing 202,044,600 tickets!

It is an easy way to excite people into seeing whatever the movie de jur is. "Oh man, I can't miss this, it is the Xth biggest movie of all time!?!?!?" You are right, it is crap.

QUOTE (Athomeboy_2000 @ Jan 27, 2010 -> 10:03 AM)

So you're looking at number of tickets sold without taking into account population changes?

And I'm willing to bet Gone with the Wind is so high up because of multiple releases/continued showing in various settings, rather than having all 130 million Americans in 1939 (including children) having seen it 1.5 times on average.