Films Thread

juddling

QUOTE (FlaSoxxJim @ Aug 30, 2009 -> 07:18 PM)
I enjoyed Jackie Brown when it came out. But it is rightly considered as a second-tier effort compared to Tarantino's most inspired stuff.

I watched JB at the movies and on cable and I must not be getting something. It feels like it's building up to soemthing and it just never takes off. The punch lines make you snicker but not lol. The action is limited and De Niro mopes around like an idiot.

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Aug 27, 2009 -> 12:18 PM)
He just likes weird shots sometimes... at least in that instance... I think. Some film student will come up with a reasoning, though.

Someone at a movie board I post at mentioned that the reason Landa made her wait for the creme before digging in was because the creme would have been non-kosher.

QUOTE (FlaSoxxJim @ Aug 30, 2009 -> 09:37 PM)
I really liked Jason Schwartzman in Darjeeling, and expected I'd see him turn up in more roles by now. Caught a glimpse of him as Ringo Starr in Walk Hard, but that's been about it.

There is a new HBO series coming out where Schwartzman plays a assistant to a celebrity(Ted Danson), called Bored to Death. It also stars Zach Galifianakis who is a favorite of mine

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Aug 31, 2009 -> 10:24 AM)
There is a new HBO series coming out where Schwartzman plays a assistant to a celebrity(Ted Danson), called Bored to Death. It also stars Zach Galifianakis who is a favorite of mine

That could be good. I like Danson as Danson in Curb Your Enthusiasm.

QUOTE (FlaSoxxJim @ Aug 28, 2009 -> 10:25 PM)
I've never been as motivated by this thread to see a film as I now am to see Basterds. I like 90% of Quentin's films as it is, but between some of the early reviews and my general preconception that Nazis are not necessarily the humor well I was half-expecting ths one to miss the mark. I'm glad to see a number of posters here give this one high marks and put it back in my sights.

Well I hate to rain on the parade, but I thought it stunk. Than again I think Quentin stinks and I am rarely, if ever, a fan of his films.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Aug 31, 2009 -> 12:43 PM)
Well I hate to rain on the parade, but I thought it stunk. Than again I think Quentin stinks and I am rarely, if ever, a fan of his films.

He is a polarizing director. You old farts usually don't get him.

:lol:

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Aug 31, 2009 -> 11:47 AM)
Resevoir Dogs, and Kill Bill would be the exceptions. Pulp Fiction was solid too, didn't like it as much as all of you guys though.

That's interesting - I thought Pulp Fiction was excellent, Resevoir Dogs was pretty good, and the Kill Bill movies were terrible.

Quentin Tarantino and Wes Anderson are two of my favorite directors currently. Only people I would put them behind would probably be the Coen Brothers.

Quentin's Films

1) Pulp Fiction

2) Reservoir Dogs

3) Inglorious Basterds (may move ahead of Reservoir Dogs with more viewings)

4) Kill Bill Vol. 2

5) Kill Bill Vol. 1

6) Death Proof

7) Jackie Brown

Wes's Films

1) Rushmore

2) The Royal Tenenbaums

3) The Life Aquatic

4) Bottle Rocket

5) The Darjeeling Limited

I don't think either has done a bad film yet. I'd like to see what other fans and non-fans think because I'm sure everyone's list would be different.

My rankings...

Quentin's Films

1) Pulp Fiction

2) Kill Bill Vol. 1

3) Kill Bill Vol. 2

4) Reservoir Dogs

5) Jackie Brown

6) Death Proof

Haven't seen Basterds yet.

Wes's Films

1) Rushmore

2) The Darjeeling Limited

3) The Life Aquatic

4) The Royal Tenenbaums

Haven't seen Bottle Rocket yet.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Aug 31, 2009 -> 11:43 AM)

I dont even know you anymore man.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Aug 31, 2009 -> 11:43 AM)

Thank you. I haven't seen any Tarantino movie that I have enjoyed. I honestly have disliked them all.

QUOTE (kjshoe04 @ Sep 2, 2009 -> 03:03 AM)
I've only seen Pulp Fiction and Reservoir Dogs and really did not like either.

I don't think QT stinks but i do believe he's vastly overrated. i still remember watching Pulp Fiction and looking at my friends (who told me i needed to see it) and thinking "What the #$%&$ are you talking about???? i want my two hours back!!!!"