Films Thread

juddling

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Sep 2, 2009 -> 10:25 AM)
Att he very least I would think that Tarantino haters could appreciate True Romance

The counter to that is that Tony Scott's directing was what fueled the success of True Romance. I don't agree, and I think it's Quentin's story that makes the film.

QUOTE (GoSox05 @ Sep 2, 2009 -> 10:31 AM)
Death Proof was my favorite Tarantino movie.

The exact opposite for me. I also enjoyed Planet Terror much more. When I saw them, they played Planet Terror first, so Death Proof seemed like a bit of a letdown in comparison. Perhaps I would've liked it more if they had reversed the order.

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Sep 2, 2009 -> 01:41 PM)
The exact opposite for me. I also enjoyed Planet Terror much more. When I saw them, they played Planet Terror first, so Death Proof seemed like a bit of a letdown in comparison. Perhaps I would've liked it more if they had reversed the order.

At the time I saw it at the theater I wondered why they didn't reverse the order.

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Sep 2, 2009 -> 02:55 PM)
For me, the best part of Death Proof was when Kurt Russell was eating those nachos. They looked f***ing incredibly delicious. I craved nachos for a long time after that.

I loved the scene where he went head on with the girls in the car and kept rewinding it so we could see exactly what happened to each girl.

I enjoyed Planet Terror a lot more as well.

Tarrantino films are always marketed highlighting the violence in the film, and usually all the violence in his films were highlighted in the previews. He's about dialogue, he's Mamet if Mamet knew how to work a camera. He's not incredibly original, but he can do everything that's been done well. He's like Portillo's. He's like David Bowie, they didn't invent the scene, but they can do it all just as well.

So for the people that loved Leone, kurosowa, wilder, whatever all the classics and all the things that made movies, movies, he's a breath of fresh air. He's the anti-neo-realist imo, no it isn't realistic, it's a movie. No, you don't talk like his characters, but at the same time, you talk about the same s*** the characters are talking about.

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Sep 3, 2009 -> 09:02 AM)
Watched Gangs of New York on IFC last night. I think I enjoyed it more the 2nd time around. Daniel Day Lewis was amazing.

That was the movie that got me to love that man.

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Sep 3, 2009 -> 09:02 AM)
Watched Gangs of New York on IFC last night. I think I enjoyed it more the 2nd time around. Daniel Day Lewis was amazing.

He's been amazing in everything I've ever seen him in. I honestly think he's the best actor of my time (or at least he's one of them).

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Sep 3, 2009 -> 09:18 AM)
He's been amazing in everything I've ever seen him in. I honestly think he's the best actor of my time (or at least he's one of them).

Hard to disagree with that. I'm struggling to think of anyone who I'd rank above him.