Films Thread

juddling

QUOTE (FlaSoxxJim @ Sep 29, 2009 -> 11:34 PM)
9 out of every 10 Hollywood horror films anymore are cr@ppy retreads of somebody else's past successes. How long are these filmmakers going to get away with such an absolute lack of creativity?

Isn't Michael Bay behind all of them except Halloween? That should tell you something.

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Im actually looking forward to an Elm St reboot. Englund ran his course with the character, and the story got away from suspense/horror and ran straight into camp-horror and never really got back.

Its an origin story, but I am willing to give it a shot before I dismiss it

Oh, and I read some of the script of the new Predator reboot, and it seems like it could be good. 7 or 8 humans deemed to be the best "prey" on earth are rounded up and dropped on the Predator home planet for a "Surviving the Game" type scenario.

Edited by KyYlE23

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Sep 30, 2009 -> 03:27 PM)
Im actually looking forward to an Elm St reboot. Englund ran his course with the character, and the story got away from suspense/horror and ran straight into camp-horror and never really got back.

Its an origin story, but I am willing to give it a shot before I dismiss it

True. Freddy became a comedian rather than someone scary until New Nightmare. The only ones worth a damn are the first one and New Nightmare.

QUOTE (Flash Tizzle @ Sep 30, 2009 -> 03:15 AM)
I've been resigned to this reality for awhile. Honestly, it used to irritate the hell out of me. I remember thinking, "How can anyone touch Dawn of the Dead?" and ended up pleasantly surprised. Unfortunately, this is an aberration; I'd tend go to agree with your 9/10 Hollywood remakes are atrocious. All of these franchises (Halloween, FT13th, NOES) have built in fanbases that extend back 20+ years. There's much less risk involved with recreating a horror classic than attempting to cash in with an original idea. As long as people continue giving these companies money, they'll continue churning out the crap.

If you want quality films, it seems that what's happening more and more is they'll be showcased at some horror/independent move festival and receive a generous amount of buzz, only to rot away for several years until their DVD release. It's frustrating for people like myself that read horror forums and here of this amazing film, but no one knows when the hell it's going to be available for rental.

Here's a movie that should reinvigorate your faith in the business -- it's called "Trick R Treat." This is one of those films that has been known about for quite awhile. It's being released on DVD October 6th, and reviews for it have been overwhelmingly favorable. People whose opinions I trust have been labeling it a movie you'll probably find yourself watching at Halloween for years to come. That, for me, is the perfect description of a horror movie. I'm actually excited to watch it.

Funny you mentioned trick r treat, i watch it four hours prior to your post. Trick r treat has as large of a cult following as it does for a reason, it was pretty nice to see something as fresh as it was, especially for the horror genre. One of the four stories did leave a lot to be desired, i wish they either went in another direction with it, or scrapped it entirely. I really did enjoy how well they interwove everything all throughout... leaving very few plot holes, which is hard enough for any genre, once more, especially horror.

The acting in roughly 80%-90% of the movie is above average, which was also treat considering a good deal of the cast are teens or younger.

QUOTE (Brian @ Sep 30, 2009 -> 03:10 PM)
FINALLY saw The Hangover. Holy crap, that movie ruled. It's no Citizen Kane, see what I did there?, but was fun and definitely will be re-watchable.

I watched it about a month ago, and didn't think it was nearly as funny as it was made out to be. Maybe I have to watch it again.

QUOTE (longshot7 @ Oct 1, 2009 -> 02:31 PM)
Agreed - best animated film this year.

STEVE!

I thought up was better and Monsters versus Aliens was just as good. And for sheer artistic vision, Ponyo blows them all away.

Very solid film though.

QUOTE (Flash Tizzle @ Oct 2, 2009 -> 01:24 PM)
How ridiculously over the top is this 2012 preview?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JVSMWxb8KUI

Yet, somehow I can't resist the urge to watch it.

I enjoyed Independance Day for what it was. I hated Godzilla and despised The Day After Tomorrow. I will not be seeing this.

Thought ZOmbieLand was entertaining.

The Bill Murray stuff was classic. Especially when Columbus shoots him. That got the biggest reaction out of me.

With 2012 coming out and will obviously be awful, why don't they adapt "Lucifer's Hammer" to a movie. That's a great scifi book and if in the right hands could be a good film...as long and Emmerich and Bay stay away.

QUOTE (Brian @ Oct 4, 2009 -> 03:34 PM)
Thought ZOmbieLand was entertaining.

The Bill Murray stuff was classic. Especially when Columbus shoots him. That got the biggest reaction out of me.

With 2012 coming out and will obviously be awful, why don't they adapt "Lucifer's Hammer" to a movie. That's a great scifi book and if in the right hands could be a good film...as long and Emmerich and Bay stay away.

Lucifer's Hammer, also The Hammer of God, were sci-fi books that were loose influences on the pair of awful, awful, awful comet movies that came out some years ago - Armageddon and Deep Impact. Probably, people have decided to stay away from that mini-genre now because they are still trying to wash that taste out of their mouths.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Oct 5, 2009 -> 08:24 AM)
Lucifer's Hammer, also The Hammer of God, were sci-fi books that were loose influences on the pair of awful, awful, awful comet movies that came out some years ago - Armageddon and Deep Impact. Probably, people have decided to stay away from that mini-genre now because they are still trying to wash that taste out of their mouths.

Lucifer's Hammer influenced Deep Impact? This is a joke, right? That movie was nowhere near the book.

While getting ready to hit the Palms (Playboy Club, Moon, Ghostbar) on Friday night (and en-route to a profit of $800 playing blackjack until 7am after clubbing) the wife and I enjoyed a little down-time and watched The Hangover again.

It was just as funny the second time.

QUOTE (Brian @ Oct 5, 2009 -> 11:20 AM)
Lucifer's Hammer influenced Deep Impact? This is a joke, right? That movie was nowhere near the book.

Both movies pulled from multiple different sci-fi books of the same theme. Not sure which did which. Forget the tech and methodology. Point is, the theme has been done, and done badly, so no one wants to touch it. At least for now. But you never know.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Oct 5, 2009 -> 01:21 PM)
Both movies pulled from multiple different sci-fi books of the same theme. Not sure which did which. Forget the tech and methodology. Point is, the theme has been done, and done badly, so no one wants to touch it. At least for now. But you never know.

They're always stuck in that bind of seeking an original story, yet having to produce a profitable disaster flick that appeals to a large audience. What comes out of that mix is 2012. I'd like to see a disaster movie that focuses more on the aftermath. If The Road is successful I guarantee you'll see more to follow. That is the interesting part for me, not what everyone does leading up to the disaster but how everyone reacts afterward.

Even with 2012, a part of me would be interested in knowing how the hell do people live ordinary lives after such a ridiculous set of disasters?