Films Thread

juddling

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just finished watching Inglorious Basterds. I haven't been this disappointed from a movie in quite awhile. I know this discussion was had near the films theatrical release, but honestly, did anyone feel unsettled in numerous scenes because it just seemed to drag on for too long? It has become his trademark. A perfect example of this would be the scene where "Bear Jew" was inside the cave banging his bat, intimidating the Nazi soldier. It wasn't building suspense in my mind. I was just thinking, "get out of the f***ing cave already!" The entire tavern scene was excruciating to sit through, as well.

And yes, because I can anticipate the replies, I knew the trailers misguided the public into believing it was an action flick revolving around Pitt's character. I had already known much of what happened, I just have to admit, it didn't live up to the standards I hold for Tarantino. I didn't really think much of the dialogue, or the characters (aside from the woman who owned the theater), and I certaintly didn't care for the action or suspense.

I can't knock everyone's appreciation for this movie. There are probably countless fans (many on this board) who can articulate their appreciation for the movie. Fine. But what I feel is too many Quentin Tarantino fan-boys are praising this movie because he's involved. It' reminds me of the Boondock Saints fan base, where honoring the movie has become a cult all in itself.

QUOTE (Flash Tizzle @ Oct 7, 2009 -> 05:02 PM)
I just finished watching Inglorious Basterds. I haven't been this disappointed from a movie in quite awhile. I know this discussion was had near the films theatrical release, but honestly, did anyone feel unsettled in numerous scenes because it just seemed to drag on for too long? It has become his trademark. A perfect example of this would be the scene where "Bear Jew" was inside the cave banging his bat, intimidating the Nazi soldier. It wasn't building suspense in my mind. I was just thinking, "get out of the f***ing cave already!" The entire tavern scene was excruciating to sit through, as well.

And yes, because I can anticipate the replies, I knew the trailers misguided the public into believing it was an action flick revolving around Pitt's character. I had already known much of what happened, I just have to admit, it didn't live up to the standards I hold for Tarantino. I didn't really think much of the dialogue, or the characters (aside from the woman who owned the theater), and I certaintly didn't care for the action or suspense.

I can't knock everyone's appreciation for this movie. There are probably countless fans (many on this board) who can articulate their appreciation for the movie. Fine. But what I feel is too many Quentin Tarantino fan-boys are praising this movie because he's involved. It' reminds me of the Boondock Saints fan base, where honoring the movie has become a cult all in itself.

Nobody cares, Flash. We all hate you.

QUOTE (Flash Tizzle @ Oct 7, 2009 -> 05:02 PM)

I'm as critical of Tarantino's misses as I am of his hits. Those two scenes you hated were two of my favorites in the film. That tavern scene was gloriously unnerving and one of the most suspenseful scenes I can remember. Well, that and of course the scene with the cream.

QUOTE (Flash Tizzle @ Oct 7, 2009 -> 03:02 PM)

AGREED AGREED AGREED.

He needs an editor who's not a yes-man in the worst way.

That tavern scene could have been SO MUCH BETTER. The dialogue (and that stupid game) just killed it.

I saw Paranormal Activity last night, and it was a decent scary movie (better than Blair Witch in terms of the mock documentary style). There's not much of a plot, but the boyfriend Micha and girlfriend Kate have good chemistry which will lead to a few chuckle moments. You'll know when a scary moment will happen cause most of it happens at night, its just the suspense leading up to the moment will make it that more creepy. Without giving anything away, the ending has a definite WTF!?! moment, as that is what came shouting out of my mouth when it took place. I would give the movie about a 7.5 or 8 out of 10.

Word to the wise though, get to the theater early if you want tickets to your showing. My brothers and I were planning to watch the 9:30 showing, but when we got to the theater we found out that not only the 9:30 showing was sold out but the 10:10 showing was sold out as well. So we ended up catching the movie at 10:45 which was also sold out. When we left the movie, it looked like the 12:30 showing could have possibly been sold out.

QUOTE (Nunnigan @ Oct 10, 2009 -> 11:05 AM)
I saw Paranormal Activity last night, and it was a decent scary movie (better than Blair Witch in terms of the mock documentary style). There's not much of a plot, but the boyfriend Micha and girlfriend Kate have good chemistry which will lead to a few chuckle moments. You'll know when a scary moment will happen cause most of it happens at night, its just the suspense leading up to the moment will make it that more creepy. Without giving anything away, the ending has a definite WTF!?! moment, as that is what came shouting out of my mouth when it took place. I would give the movie about a 7.5 or 8 out of 10.

Word to the wise though, get to the theater early if you want tickets to your showing. My brothers and I were planning to watch the 9:30 showing, but when we got to the theater we found out that not only the 9:30 showing was sold out but the 10:10 showing was sold out as well. So we ended up catching the movie at 10:45 which was also sold out. When we left the movie, it looked like the 12:30 showing could have possibly been sold out.

Thanks for the info.

I remember when friends and I went to see Blair Witch down in the city, cuz it wasn't released yet. We wanted to se elike the 2pm show on a Sunday and all the shows were sold out til 8pm. So we hung out downtown until then.

It sounds like what I would expect.