Bigger impact from 1969

southsider2k5

What had a bigger impact on today?  

35 members have voted

1. 1. We landed on the moon, and opened the first Wal-Mart in 1969, which had a bigger impact on today?

• The Lunar Landing
    • Wal-Mart
    • The Beatles Abbey Road album

June 28 – The Stonewall riots in New York City mark the start of the modern gay rights movement in the U.S.

August 15–18 – The Woodstock Festival is held in upstate New York, featuring some of the top rock musicians of the era.

September 2 – The first automatic teller machine in the United States is installed in Rockville Centre, New York.

October 5 - Monty Python's Flying Circus first airs in the United Kingdom.

November 10 – Sesame Street premieres on the National Educational Television (NET) network.

November 15 – Dave Thomas opens his first restaurant in a former steakhouse on a cold, snowy Saturday in downtown Columbus, Ohio. He names the chain Wendy's after his 8-year-old daughter Melinda Lou (nicknamed Wendy by her siblings).

It's obviously an achievement to land on the moon, but really, what impact did that have on us, except for the phrase "we land on the moon but we cant (insert thing that hasn't been done)?" Society didn't change at all. If there were such a thing as an impact on society, I'd believe landing on the moon would make Americans even more arrogant.

As far as The Beatles, they had other, better albums (I believe) than Abbey Road. Sergeant Peppers, for one.

Wal Mart has had a much larger impact on lives than the Beatles or the moon landing.

Edited by Flash Tizzle

QUOTE (Flash Tizzle @ Jul 19, 2009 -> 10:27 AM)
It's obviously an achievement to land on the moon, but really, what impact did that have on us, except for the phrase "we land on the moon but we cant (insert thing that hasn't been done)?" Society didn't change at all. If there were such a thing as an impact on society, I'd believe landing on the moon would make Americans even more arrogant.

How much stuff was developed directly or indirectly from the 1960's NASA programs though? Where would the world be without satellite technology, the computers, combustion, and materials that were developed as part of the lunar program?

QUOTE (dasox24 @ Jul 19, 2009 -> 04:44 PM)
A lot of cool stuff happened in 1969. ATM's are a life-saver. And I love Wendy's. But, yeah, Wal-Mart opening has probably had the largest impact on society.

You can live without WalMart; just try going two weeks without an ATM.

That's a lot of trips from 9am to 5pm to a bank.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jul 19, 2009 -> 03:46 PM)
How much stuff was developed directly or indirectly from the 1960's NASA programs though? Where would the world be without satellite technology, the computers, combustion, and materials that were developed as part of the lunar program?

Not to mention velcro and Tang!

QUOTE (knightni @ Jul 19, 2009 -> 03:53 PM)
You can live without WalMart; just try going two weeks without an ATM.

That's a lot of trips from 9am to 5pm to a bank.

True... If there were no ATMs, banks would have to have longer operating hours, wouldn't they? Otherwise, people would have to go on their lunch-break since most are at work during those times.

Edited by dasox24

I think millions of small business owners (former and current) will agree with me that it's Wal-Mart. Abbey road is second.

..and millions of Americans who save an average of $2000 a year by shopping at Wal-Mart would agree with you too.

When I read the options I knew better to equate the single moon landing with the NASA organization as a whole.

QUOTE (Flash Tizzle @ Jul 19, 2009 -> 11:27 AM)

As far as The Beatles, they had other, better albums (I believe) than Abbey Road. Sergeant Peppers, for one.

Wal Mart has had a much larger impact on lives than the Beatles or the moon landing.

Considering that part of the path to landing on the moon was the introduction to satellites, I'd say that the moon landing had a far greater impact than Wal-Mart or a music album. Also, the moon landing continues to contribute to the future. Wal-Mart? Hardly.

Edited by BobDylan

QUOTE (santo=dorf @ Jul 19, 2009 -> 02:27 PM)
When I read the options I knew better to equate the single moon landing with the NASA organization as a whole.

Different point though...the moon landing specifically was a gigantic technological challenge almost on the scale of the Manhattan project. Nothing NASA's done or even attempted since then has even come close. They've produced some interesting stuff, but the developments associated with the Lunar Program in particular are so far unique.

Walmart was the ultimate display of capitalism. They showed what an almost free market can produce. Amazing. But the human costs, as Soxy mentioned, are high. The lunar landing was a triumph of human knowledge and accomplishment that paid dividends throughout the next forty years, with the cost being almost strictly in dollars and sense.

So, I believe the biggest positive impact was the lunar landing.

QUOTE (Tex @ Jul 19, 2009 -> 05:11 PM)
But the human costs, as Soxy mentioned, are high.

Is the negative impact on small business enough to offset jobs created by Wal-Mart and their suppliers as well as the billions of dollars their stores help Americans save?

QUOTE (3E8 @ Jul 19, 2009 -> 03:19 PM)
Is the negative impact on small business enough to offset jobs created by Wal-Mart and their suppliers as well as the billions of dollars their stores help Americans save?

This is so going to wind up in the Filibuster, but are the billions of dollars in "Savings" also worth the billions of dollars in costs associated with their low wages? (the government providing health care for all their employees, the depression of wages in every other industry, the energy and personal costs associated with moving all of manufacturing to countries with weaker environmental standards and less employee protection)