7/19 Games

danman31

Serafin looks, in admitedly few games, like he doesn't belong in the Appy. Maybe we seem him in Kanny before the year is out.

Also interesting... Justin Greene hit 3rd in the Kanny lineup instead of leadoff yesterday, and today isn't even in the lineup. Did he maybe get promoted and we haven't heard about it yet?

Mitchell with his first BB in professional ball. Continues to show that discipline/eye at the plate. Of course... it's only a walk which some people hate. :blink:

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Jul 19, 2009 -> 04:54 PM)
Also interesting... Justin Greene hit 3rd in the Kanny lineup instead of leadoff yesterday, and today isn't even in the lineup. Did he maybe get promoted and we haven't heard about it yet?

FutureSox All Over It.

Edited by SoxAce

QUOTE (SoxAce @ Jul 19, 2009 -> 04:56 PM)
Mitchell with his first BB in professional ball. Continues to show that discipline/eye at the plate. Of course... it's only a walk which some people hate. :blink:

Got no problem with walks... but players with passive, Nick Swisher esque approaches at bat is a different story. Hopefully Mitchell doesn't fall into that group.

QUOTE (BearSox @ Jul 19, 2009 -> 03:35 PM)
Got no problem with walks... but players with passive, Nick Swisher esque approaches at bat is a different story. Hopefully Mitchell doesn't fall into that group.

I don't mind a Swisher-esque approach at the plate either if: you have good power when you do swing, and when you get on base, you have some skills that you can use to take advantage of being on base.

Bristol won 4-3 in 12 innings.

Linky: http://web.minorleaguebaseball.com/milb/st...brirok_dnvrok_1

Brady Shoemaker - 3-6, 2Bs, Game Tying HR in the 9th. Not bad. Oh, and he had 4 RBIs too.

Ryan Lee, 41st round pick of the 2009 draft went 2-4, 2BBs. He's hitting .333 in the Appy.

Daniel Wagner, 16th round pick of the 2009 draft had his 7th stolen base.

And Joseph Serafin, all 5'10" of him, a 0.39 ERA in 6 games?!?!? 29 IP/13 hits allowed/3 BBs/16 Ks. Nice. He was pick #37 this year too.

Tell ya what. These guys may/may not make it, but it is sure fun following them!

Edited by OilCan

Quentin is playing, is 1/2 with an RBI double and a HBP/run scored on a Betemit double. Anyone with any more details on his actual spryness today?

Colon going for Charlotte, 8 hits, 4 runs, 2 walks so far through 5 innings. Home runs by Ben Davis (Yes, him) and Jeff Fiorentino against him.

Kannapolis was shut out 5-0 by Charleston.

The Bad:

KW2 = 0-4, 3Ks at the leadoff position.

And why the heck does he look like he has a BAAAAD day at the office? http://web.minorleaguebaseball.com/milb/st...&pid=452069 Jeez, that's a Ron Mexico-type pic.

(oh yeah, he's also hitting .176 in his last ten games...)

Sergio Morales = 0-4, 2Ks. Ouch.

The OK/Good:

J. Mitchell = 0-1, 2BBs, 1K.

D. Black = 2-2

A. O'Neill = 2 IP, 4Ks...but 4 bbs too.

QUOTE (OilCan @ Jul 19, 2009 -> 06:34 PM)
Bristol won 4-3 in 12 innings.

Linky: http://web.minorleaguebaseball.com/milb/st...brirok_dnvrok_1

Brady Shoemaker - 3-6, 2Bs, Game Tying HR in the 9th. Not bad. Oh, and he had 4 RBIs too.

Ryan Lee, 41st round pick of the 2009 draft went 2-4, 2BBs. He's hitting .333 in the Appy.

Daniel Wagner, 16th round pick of the 2009 draft had his 7th stolen base.

And Joseph Serafin, all 5'10" of him, a 0.39 ERA in 6 games?!?!? 29 IP/13 hits allowed/3 BBs/16 Ks. Nice. He was pick #37 this year too.

Tell ya what. These guys may/may not make it, but it is sure fun following them!

Serafin and Shoemaker look like they are a little too advanced for Appy play. Not sure where there is room for them to move up to, though.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jul 19, 2009 -> 06:58 PM)
Brent Lillibridge is hitting .327 with a .931 OPS in July.

And .323 in his last 10 games with 2 HRs.

What was the scouting report on this kid before we got him in the Javy trade?

Not good for Birmingham so far....losing 5-1 in the top of the 4th. Starter Matt Long only went 3 IPs.

Linky: http://web.minorleaguebaseball.com/milb/st...47&sid=t247

Viciedo and Marrero so far each 2-2.

Winston Salem losing 2-0 in the fifth.

Newly promoted Justin Greene hitting in the 2 spot.

Edited by OilCan

QUOTE (OilCan @ Jul 19, 2009 -> 05:05 PM)
And .323 in his last 10 games with 2 HRs.

What was the scouting report on this kid before we got him in the Javy trade?

Scouting Report

Assets

* Displays a very good speed/power combination for a middle infielder. Can line up either at shortstop or second base.

Flaws

* Needs to improve his strikeout/walk ratio in order to become an everyday player at the big-league level. Must also work on his defense.

Career Potential

* A quality utility infielder.

by Fantasy Sports Services

Seriously, the kid was thought to have some legit talent until he hit AAA in the Braves org and completely failed. Epic. He's still striking out too much for my taste.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jul 19, 2009 -> 07:10 PM)
Seriously, the kid was thought to have some legit talent until he hit AAA in the Braves org and completely failed. Epic. He's still striking out too much for my taste.

I agree, he's doing 1 K for every 4 AB on average still. Way too much for a utility player.

QUOTE (BearSox @ Jul 19, 2009 -> 05:35 PM)

I agree. Passive is the perfect word for what I saw close and late. With a winning run on second, I don't want Swisher up there to walk. The opposition knew it too and struck him out. I'm very happy the Sox will not be paying Swisher's crappy contract. Sure, I wish the Sox could have gotten a better deal for him or not dealt for him at all. But if his crap contract kept the Sox from making future moves, I would have traded him for the Washington Nationals batboy. KW took a shot and it didn't work out.

QUOTE (103 mph screwball @ Jul 20, 2009 -> 09:16 AM)
I agree. Passive is the perfect word for what I saw close and late. With a winning run on second, I don't want Swisher up there to walk. The opposition knew it too and struck him out. I'm very happy the Sox will not be paying Swisher's crappy contract. Sure, I wish the Sox could have gotten a better deal for him or not dealt for him at all. But if his crap contract kept the Sox from making future moves, I would have traded him for the Washington Nationals batboy. KW took a shot and it didn't work out.

Nick signed for 5 years/$26.75M (2007-11), plus 2012 club option. Crappy contract for him but not for the team he plays for.