The Carlos Quentin Activated from DL

CSF

• Replies 211
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't get where people think Quentin and Wise will platoon. Ozzie officially would be retarded if he did that. I'm not gonna freak out the first time Wise starts in place of him, cause it would be against a right hander, but they aren't gonna platoon.

It seems like they're worrying more about being able to get a clutch hit from the backup outfielder than good defense.

QUOTE (whitesoxfan101 @ Jul 20, 2009 -> 02:16 PM)
Didn't Wise already get DFA'd once earlier this year and make it through waivers? There is no demand for him among any other teams, so the options excuse doesn't hold much water.

No. He was on the DL then activated.

And I find it hard to imagine we'd lose him if we DFA'd him.

Wise can pinch run.

last year his ph stats gave at least some indication that he can grab a bat cold and PH

I wanna throw those two things in there but will not participate in an argument b/c obviously the guy has had a horrible offensive year. All it really comes down to is - Anderson's fielding or having a guy who's probably a little better with delivering with sac flies etc.

And taking 2nd base as a PR when it's available to you in those tight 9th innings

QUOTE (Heads22 @ Jul 20, 2009 -> 02:17 PM)
I don't get where people think Quentin and Wise will platoon. Ozzie officially would be retarded if he did that. I'm not gonna freak out the first time Wise starts in place of him, cause it would be against a right hander, but they aren't gonna platoon.

It seems like they're worrying more about being able to get a clutch hit from the backup outfielder than good defense.

It would be stupid, but having Wise on the roster at all is stupid. It wouldn't surprise me in the least to see Wise play in lots of games against righties. It would be immeasurably stupid, but having Wise on the roster at all is immeasurably stupid and we do that.

QUOTE (Princess Dye @ Jul 20, 2009 -> 02:18 PM)
Wise can pinch run.

last year his ph stats gave at least some indication that he can grab a bat cold and PH

I wanna throw those two things in there but will not participate in an argument b/c obviously the guy has had a horrible offensive year. All it really comes down to is - Anderson's fielding or having a guy who's probably a little better with delivering with sac flies etc.

And taking 2nd base as a PR when it's available to you in those tight 9th innings

Anderson is actually pretty quick on the basepaths, though Wise can actually steal and BA really doesn't do that well.

Its not about any sort of logical argument. At all. Its a personal thing - some combination of not liking BA's attitude, or Ozzie liking Wise, or whatever.

QUOTE (EvilJester99 @ Jul 20, 2009 -> 02:22 PM)
Its funny we finally get TCQ back and people are more uspet over BA......

Everybody knew TCQ was going to be back. I also assumed our organization had an ounce of sense and would keep Anderson around and DFA Wise. Silly me to assume we'd make the best baseball decision and not appease to personal vendettas.

QUOTE (Heads22 @ Jul 20, 2009 -> 02:24 PM)
Maybe we'll acquire a real backup OF.

I got it! Kenny will acquire a top-line pitcher. Ozzie will channel Lou Pinella and stick that pitcher in the OF as a defense replacement, only to have him face any batter he wants.

QUOTE (Heads22 @ Jul 20, 2009 -> 02:24 PM)
Maybe we'll acquire a real backup OF.

I think the Sox would love to trade Anderson, but he's a throw-in at best now.

If Cook hits anything in AAA for the next month or so (he just got there), he has to be in the discussion as well, if Wise continues to be Wise.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Jul 20, 2009 -> 02:27 PM)
I think the Sox would love to trade Anderson, but he's a throw-in at best now.

If Cook hits anything in AAA for the next month or so (he just got there), he has to be in the discussion as well, if Wise continues to be Wise.

And when that happens...you are gonna lose yer s***!

QUOTE (whitesoxfan101 @ Jul 20, 2009 -> 02:12 PM)
It's the principle of our organization not keeping the best players on the 25 man roster which bothers people. Plus, Anderson has use as a defensive replacement when we're healthy, Wise has literally no use on this roster.

I agree. With Q needing to take it easy on the foot, and Pods a less than stellar CF, Anderson would have been a nice defensive replacement nearly every game. Anderson is just getting some AB's before they trade him now. Good luck to Wise. Hope Wise shuts us up.

Welcome back Q!

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Jul 20, 2009 -> 02:32 PM)
So now that we have replaced a pile of crap in the batting order with TCQ, how devastating will this offense be going forward?

If TCQ is healthy and rockin. This offense will be bad ass.