The Carlos Quentin Activated from DL

CSF

• Replies 211
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jul 20, 2009 -> 04:49 PM)
Per Cowley's Twitter:

Cowley was on the Score a little while ago and among other things said that both Anderson and Wise played hard but "one was playing hard just to be here while the other guy was playing hard so he could be somewhere else and the organization knows this."

Another thing he said which shows you how much credibility Cowley has was that defensively speaking Wise isn't that far behind Anderson.

QUOTE (South Side Fireworks Man @ Jul 20, 2009 -> 04:58 PM)
Another thing he said which shows you how much credibility Cowley has was that defensively speaking Wise isn't that far behind Anderson.

You've got to be kidding me. I cannot listen to cowley again.

No offense to all the haters, but this move makes sense for the time-being. Wise is our only lefty on the bench. Based on the current structure of the team, he holds more value than Anderson does both as a pinch-hitter and as a backup for Dye and Quentin against some righties. Additionally, Nix can play left field against tough lefties (moving Quentin to DH) further diminishing Anderson’s value. Yes, I would love to keep Anderson around for his defense, but there is no room for him at this time. And trust me I despise Wise just as much as the next guy.

IMO, the real crime here is keeping Josh Fields on the 25 man roster. He can only play 3B (so can Nix) and 1B. He’s a right-handed hitter backing up right-handed hitters. He doesn’t bring any exceptional qualities as a bench player either. This team desperately needs a left-handed corner infielder who can also play some LF and possibly RF on the bench. If the Royals would take Fields and a low-level minor leaguer for Mark Teahan I’d do that in a heartbeat. He would get plenty of playing time between 1B, 3B, LF and RF and add a nice bat off the bench when not starting. Plus, then you could dump Wise and bring up Anderson again for defensive purposes. I don’t even care if it’s Teahan, but I’m fairly certain KW will add a guy like him. Hopefully with this s***ty economy, we can get a player like this fairly cheap.

Edited by Chicago White Sox

QUOTE (103 mph screwball @ Jul 20, 2009 -> 03:48 PM)
I feel comfortable with a ball hit to the right side of the infield with Nix over there. I second your cough fit.

Agreed, but I'd still rather have Getz in the lineup, than either Fields or Wise. Getz has been much worse defensively than his MiLB track record lead me to believe. Still, he has a lot more value (to us, and in a trade down the road) if he's not strictly a platoon player.

QUOTE (South Side Fireworks Man @ Jul 20, 2009 -> 04:58 PM)

Cowley was on the Score a little while ago and among other things said that both Anderson and Wise played hard but "one was playing hard just to be here while the other guy was playing hard so he could be somewhere else and the organization knows this."

What does this mean?

QUOTE (bmags @ Jul 20, 2009 -> 04:12 PM)
if you can't hit it doesn't matter if you are a lefty or a righty. You might as well be Johnny No-Arms Malone.

Exactly. Wise is a career .212 hitter vs. rhp.

Note: for his career Wise bats .417 (5-12) AGAINST the White Sox. Go figure.

QUOTE (SoxAce @ Jul 20, 2009 -> 03:42 PM)
Agreed. I have 0 problem with this move especially considering Wise can steal a base late in games. You lose that defensive replacement, but if this means Jayson Nix gets more at bats now, and who can play LF/RF, then I don't see how anyone can argue this. That kid has shown some flashes this year. And Josh is a disaster in LF, so having him play 3B/1B/DH is fine. Getz will probably man 2B more often now.

From what I've seen of Nix, he's a really "natural" fielder, who could probably learn the other OF positions without too much difficulty. If the Sox are grooming him as a super-utility vs. lefties/late inning D replacement as I believe they are, then I think you'll see him getting reps in CF and RF next spring training

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jul 20, 2009 -> 04:18 PM)
It means Brian Anderson doesn't want anything to do with the Sox and wants to be playing someplace else.

Well, the relationship does seem to have run its course. Parting ways is likely best for all parties involved.

Steve Stone cited on Chicago Tribune Live that because BA still had an option left, it was easier than the Sox exposing Wise to waivers where he could be claimed for $20,000. He also said the Sox feel Wise is a better base-stealer right now. Also it gives BA some regular work in Charlotte. Sounds like they were more concerned with losing Wise at this point.

QUOTE (South Side Fireworks Man @ Jul 20, 2009 -> 04:54 PM)
Agreed. In fact $20,000 would be a haul for Dewayne Wise.

So with TCQ playing on one foot and no depth in our system, you don't think DET or MIN would drop $20k to leave the Sox without a 4th OF (assuming one of Pods or TCQ go down before the end of the season)?

What disappoints me is that we're stuck arguing about Wise or Anderson as our 4th OF, THAT is the real failure on KW's part, not any decision he made today. Anderson sucks and if you really believe that all the leaks we've read about his bad attitude don't carry a grain of salt, well, I can understand why you're upset today. Wise sucks too, but the one thing I gained from that interview where he called out the fans for booing him was that the dude loved the franchise and was giving 110%. Give me a guy who understands he's not a great player over a guy who has no clue how bad he is any day of the week.

Welcome back, Carlos.....if he and Pods can stay healthy this could be one helluva fun 2nd half.

QUOTE (EvilJester99 @ Jul 20, 2009 -> 06:18 PM)
Can't really blame him....

Especially when they keep DeWayne Wise instead of you. It's amazing how many colossally stupid moves this organization makes despite generally being smart about things.

QUOTE (WHarris1 @ Jul 20, 2009 -> 06:51 PM)
Worrying about losing Wise on waivers is absolutely f***ed. No one would even want him and even if they did that would be beneficial.

They DFA'ed him earlier in the season and he stayed with the Sox, IIRC.