ChiSox looking to deal Dotel/Linebrink?

prochisox

There is speculation the White Sox could pursue Roy Halladay, but only if the Sox clear some payroll by trading one of the pitchers in their vaunted bullpen. The two most likely candidates would be Octavio Dotel and Scott Linebrink, two relievers the Indians have had interest in in the past.

http://www.news-herald.com/articles/2009/0...s/nh1193100.txt

Slow day, but still White Sox news.

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Jul 20, 2009 -> 02:06 PM)
Which would explain the Tony Pena acquisition. Not sure if I buy that we're trying to trade Dotel/Liney but it wouldn't shock me either.

Exactly what I thought as well (about Pena). And it makes me feel more sure that one of the bullpen arms is headed out the door in a trade, to be replaced by Nunez probably, or possibly Link.

QUOTE (GO CHI SOX! @ Jul 20, 2009 -> 01:05 PM)
There is speculation the White Sox could pursue Roy Halladay, but only if the Sox clear some payroll by trading one of the pitchers in their vaunted bullpen. The two most likely candidates would be Octavio Dotel and Scott Linebrink, two relievers the Indians have had interest in in the past.

http://www.news-herald.com/articles/2009/0...s/nh1193100.txt

Slow day, but still White Sox news.

Omar Vizquel has three pet kangaroos?!

QUOTE (GreatScott82 @ Jul 20, 2009 -> 02:16 PM)
Dotel has been a strike out machine this year. He is much more reliable than Tony Pena. I honestly could see Bobby Jenks get dealt to clear payroll if the Halladay thing is serious.

Thats kind of what I've been thinking. I think he is our most expandable and biggest trade chip with Beckham.

I dont think we can afford him much longer. I don't trust his arm. And I dont think it's any secret that he could bring in a lot of talent in prospects or be apart of this kind of deal.

Edit: I shouldnt say Jenks is most expandable. I think he'll be missed and im nerous about who would fill in but I think we have guys that are very capable to do so rendering him expandable.

Edited by Pumpkin Escobar

QUOTE (Heads22 @ Jul 20, 2009 -> 02:48 PM)
Well, considering we're 1.5 games back right now, I'd say we're not trading our closer or setup men right now.

I think we have more setup men now than are needed. I agree on Jenks though, he's not getting traded this season, unless the Sox utterly collapse.

Wouldn't surprise me to see Dotel traded, which still gives us Thornton, Linebrink and Pena for setup work.

I'm probably in the minority, but I think Linebrink still can put it together.

QUOTE (Pumpkin Escobar @ Jul 20, 2009 -> 02:36 PM)
Thats kind of what I've been thinking. I think he is our most expandable and biggest trade chip with Beckham.

I dont think we can afford him much longer. I don't trust his arm. And I dont think it's any secret that he could bring in a lot of talent in prospects or be apart of this kind of deal.

Edit: I shouldnt say Jenks is most expandable. I think he'll be missed and im nerous about who would fill in but I think we have guys that are very capable to do so rendering him expandable.

Dude...who do you think he is...Bartolo Colon...?

Oooohhhh...you meant EXPENDABLE!

:lolhitting

QUOTE (CanOfCorn @ Jul 20, 2009 -> 02:54 PM)
Dude...who do you think he is...Bartolo Colon...?

Oooohhhh...you meant EXPENDABLE!

:lolhitting

haha thats why i went and edited it. Not the best choice of words but for the trade we are talking about. If he hauls a front-line ace like doc then that is exactly what he is. EXPANDABLE.

I dont see him getting moved but ive had thoughts. Maybe it's because I had high hopes for that this offseason and didnt expect us to be 1.5 out. This offseason though you'll see him moved.

If the Sox can deal Dotel and Liney and get something in return (at least for Dotel) than it might not be a bad idea. Assuming they can than use the cash to get the pieces they need. I still think Jenks could be the other guy you need to move as well. It would be an odd way to do things but if in theory you could move Jenks/Liney/Dotel and get Halladay for the talent you receive in return (plus maybe one prospect not named Flowers/Danks) than it might not be that bad.

The Sox would than have the ability to go out and swing a deal or two for something else they might want while moving Thornton to the closer spot, Richard to the pen to join Poreda.

QUOTE (Pumpkin Escobar @ Jul 20, 2009 -> 03:01 PM)
haha thats why i went and edited it. Not the best choice of words but for the trade we are talking about. If he hauls a front-line ace like doc then that is exactly what he is. EXPANDABLE.

I dont see him getting moved but ive had thoughts. Maybe it's because I had high hopes for that this offseason and didnt expect us to be 1.5 out. This offseason though you'll see him moved.

Um, you might want to look up the meanings of expandable vs. expendable.

QUOTE (Pumpkin Escobar @ Jul 20, 2009 -> 02:01 PM)
This offseason though you'll see him moved.

I would agree that this is a strong possibility. BBB's save % and track record virtually guarantee him ~$10M through arbitration despite the economy and his current ERA.

He should still have decent trade value despite this, however.

QUOTE (whitesoxfan101 @ Jul 20, 2009 -> 01:08 PM)
I don't think anybody would take Linebrink's contract.

I'm amazed at how many people haven't bothered to look at Linebrink's contract. No GM in his right mind would trade for him, especially with his bad shoulder.

If I'm Kenny, I don't deal Dotel as long as the Sox are competitive. If Contreras gets hurt again, the bullpen is going to get a serious workout down the stretch.

QUOTE (WCSox @ Jul 20, 2009 -> 10:17 PM)
I'm amazed at how many people haven't bothered to look at Linebrink's contract. No GM in his right mind would trade for him, especially with his bad shoulder.

If I'm Kenny, I don't deal Dotel as long as the Sox are competitive. If Contreras gets hurt again, the bullpen is going to get a serious workout down the stretch.

Not to mention the fact that he has a f***ing full no trade clause.