Freddy Garcia still trying to come back

knightni

QUOTE (knightni @ Jul 20, 2009 -> 02:55 PM)
Tom Fornelli posted Levine's Twitter post:

RT @espnchicago: Bruce Levine: Freddy Garcia threw 45 pitches and had good life on his fastball and breaking ball, but not much control.

I want to see what a radar gun says for the good life before I get excited. Freddy lobbing 84 mph fastballs is not going to work out well. He needs to be 89 to 91 to be effective. At least he has excellent secondary stuff, unlike Colon who pumps in fastball after fastball and hopes movement gets him by.

QUOTE (southsideirish71 @ Jul 20, 2009 -> 02:56 PM)
I want to see what a radar gun says for the good life before I get excited. Freddy lobbing 84 mph fastballs is not going to work out well. He needs to be 89 to 91 to be effective. At least he has excellent secondary stuff, unlike Colon who pumps in fastball after fastball and hopes movement gets him by.

Well, he threw like 85-86 against us last year in game 162 and we only got him for one run in 5 innings.

QUOTE (southsideirish71 @ Jul 20, 2009 -> 12:56 PM)

He really is effective if he can get to those speeds. Not dominant like he was, but very effective.

QUOTE (southsideirish71 @ Jul 20, 2009 -> 07:56 PM)

Freddie is quoted as saying he can throw 88-90. I hope he can make it back. Fraddie Garcia is a battler out there on the mound

Edited by elrockinMT

From what I just heard on Comcast, Freddy was bragging about what he could do to Ozzie and Ozzie said he backed it up and was impressed. Cooper also was impressed saying Garcia could command the curve slider ,and change any time and has great feel on those pitches but was also impressed by his fastball and command. One more side session and if that goes well 4-5 starts in the minors.

Edited by CaliSoxFanViaSWside