Anderson would've had it

Milkman delivers

All I know is that we should get someone like Endy Chavez that can actually handle the bat (a little bit) and can play all three outfield positions extremely well.

Yes, KW, those players DO exist.

We can't keep having Pods/Wise/Dye trying to hold down leads from the 7th inning on. That's just a recipe for disaster.

Edited by caulfield12

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jul 20, 2009 -> 09:06 PM)
Why? Anderson lost his job to Wise. You can tell me all you want that Ozzie hates him but the reality is he couldn't beat out Dwayne Wise and is now in Charlotte. Thats a pretty valid argument. And Wise is bad at baseball.

I agree with you that BA will only be a 4th OF and his swing sucks. But the only manager that would keep Wise over BA is Ozzie.

QUOTE (That funky motion @ Jul 20, 2009 -> 08:23 PM)
I agree with you that BA will only be a 4th OF and his swing sucks. But the only manager that would keep Wise over BA is Ozzie.

I don't necessarily disagree with that, but the point is, if BA was hands down, head and shoulders better he'd still be on the roster. The reality is he really didn't play much better than Wise over the past two seasons in Chicago so its his own damn fault, not Ozzies for why he isn't on the roster.

QUOTE (That funky motion @ Jul 20, 2009 -> 10:23 PM)

Do you really think KW completely disagreed and wanted to keep BA on the roster?

I think they know maybe he COULD POSSIBLY get hot down in AAA playing everyday and maybe they could capitalize on that if they can't find a replacement for Wise.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jul 20, 2009 -> 10:24 PM)
I don't necessarily disagree with that, but the point is, if BA was hands down, head and shoulders better he'd still be on the roster. The reality is he really didn't play much better than Wise over the past two seasons in Chicago so its his own damn fault, not Ozzies for why he isn't on the roster.

No BA is not hands down better but maybe just a little as a hitter. In the OF he is hands down better!! The one thing that he is not is a lefty and thats the only thing that I could see Ozzie saying why he kept Wise.

While I am a new poster, I have been reading Soxtalk for close to 2 years... It is interesting how over time you can delineate two separate factions, those for BA and those against. I was a Jerry Owens fan back in the day, wanting to see him succeed, and I never thought BA would rise to the hype. JO didn't make it, and BA is still here. While I don't believe he'll ever live up to (half of) the expectations, I do think he is a serviceable 4th OFer, or poor starter on a needy team. I hope for his sake that we trade him so he gets a chance to sink on his own without people saying he hasn't been given a proper chance. I realize I have sealed my fate with many BA fans, but understand this should've been posted in the drunk chat section. Thank you for your time.

Back in spring I was advocating that the Sox acquire Josh Anderson, who ended up on the Tigers. I was noting how similiar Josh and Brian Anderson are except for one major distinction. When BA was in the majors getting a few hundred AB's every year, JA was in the minors getting over 500 AB's every year. That to me speaks volumes on the development of BA's inability to hit. Could things have turned out differently if he had those extra AB's to develop ? Who know's ? But I will say one thing, BA is clearly a better all around player than Wise and releasing Wise would not have hurt the Sox at all. Not having BA's glove with an outfield of Oft injured in LF , Miscast in CF , and Slow and Slower in RF can cost games in what figured to be a tight race.

QUOTE (CaliSoxFanViaSWside @ Jul 21, 2009 -> 12:51 AM)
Back in spring I was advocating that the Sox acquire Josh Anderson, who ended up on the Tigers. I was noting how similiar Josh and Brian Anderson are except for one major distinction. When BA was in the majors getting a few hundred AB's every year, JA was in the minors getting over 500 AB's every year. That to me speaks volumes on the development of BA's inability to hit. Could things have turned out differently if he had those extra AB's to develop ? Who know's ? But I will say one thing, BA is clearly a better all around player than Wise and releasing Wise would not have hurt the Sox at all. Not having BA's glove with an outfield of Oft injured in LF , Miscast in CF , and Slow and Slower in RF can cost games in what figured to be a tight race.

Josh Anderson has been pretty horrendous himself this year.

5 reasons BA got sent down

1. Brian can't hit.

2. Pods is a good lead-off hitter

3. Wise can steal bases off the bench, lead-off, & he is getting healthier every day

4. Nix can fill in at LF & RF

5. Options-BA has some.

FYI- Wise has not played enough to use his batting average as a reference.

QUOTE (soxfan-kwman @ Jul 21, 2009 -> 06:28 PM)

You're right, his line of .211/.252 in 565 at bats isn't enough. Or his minor league career OBP of .309 in 3,500.

I understand Anderson is a not so great baseball player, but I wish people would stop trying to search for justification of this move, because there isn't any.

QUOTE (soxfan-kwman @ Jul 21, 2009 -> 12:28 PM)
5 reasons BA got sent down

1. Brian can't hit.

2. Pods is a good lead-off hitter

3. Wise can steal bases off the bench, lead-off, & he is getting healthier every day

4. Nix can fill in at LF & RF

5. Options-BA has some.

LOL, Wise can lead off? He's worse than Andy Gonzales, how can you say he can lead off?

Also LOL at "Brian can't hit", even though he his hitting 40 points better than Wise, has better career numbers, and better minor league numbers.

And the FYI is a little one-sided as well, that cuts both ways.

QUOTE (CaliSoxFanViaSWside @ Jul 21, 2009 -> 12:57 PM)
I'm pretty sure that's NOT the point I was making. it's all about the glove. It isn't coincidence that Crawford got an inside the park HR yesterday.

And I'm pretty sure I wasn't disagreeing with anything you said. Merely pointing out that acquiring Josh Anderson would have solved nothing and stating that he has been horrible this year.

QUOTE (soxfan-kwman @ Jul 21, 2009 -> 01:28 PM)

Wait what? Go back and look at the rest of the time he was in the majors, then look at his average (to be generous) minor league numbers, of which there are a lot. Wise is not good. At all. There are probably dozens of players just like him (or better) that can be had at any given time.

QUOTE (WHarris1 @ Jul 21, 2009 -> 10:59 AM)
And I'm pretty sure I wasn't disagreeing with anything you said. Merely pointing out that acquiring Josh Anderson would have solved nothing and stating that he has been horrible this year.

He's been better than Wise and just as fast and a better defender and base stealer. Would have made the team better not solved the CF problem.

QUOTE (CaliSoxFanViaSWside @ Jul 21, 2009 -> 01:10 PM)
He's been better than Wise and just as fast and a better defender and base stealer. Would have made the team better not solved the CF problem.

Josh Anderson vs. Brian Anderson this season is a much closer comparison. Josh would not have been much of an upgrade over Brian outside of base stealing.

Wise is a decent runner and base stealer, a little better than BA in both categories, especially base stealing. With Q battling the PF, five of our nine regulars (JD, PK, JT, AJP, Q) need to be pinch run for in a game tying or game winning situation.

He sucks, yes, but I think Wise's importance as a PR is being undervalued.

QUOTE (WHarris1 @ Jul 21, 2009 -> 11:17 AM)
Josh Anderson vs. Brian Anderson this season is a much closer comparison. Josh would not have been much of an upgrade over Brian outside of base stealing.

At the time I was advocating the Sox acquire him I was thinking of a platoon with Anderson since he's lefthanded . I think we agree in principle that he's a better choice than Wise but then again who isn't ? With the outfield we have right now 2 defensive replacements is a huge upgrade for late innings. The Sox D is their Achilles heal right now.

QUOTE (CaliSoxFanViaSWside @ Jul 21, 2009 -> 01:24 PM)
At the time I was advocating the Sox acquire him I was thinking of a platoon with Anderson since he's lefthanded . I think we agree in principle that he's a better choice than Wise but then again who isn't ? With the outfield we have right now 2 defensive replacements is a huge upgrade for late innings. The Sox D is their Achilles heal right now.

I agree, and my intention wasn't to argue in the first place. However, I felt the need to point out that Josh Anderson has been an absolutely pathetic offensive player. Wise is in a whole different category of pathetic.

Edited by WHarris1