Might've got caught by a red light camera

SouthsideDon48

Yea, I was driving in Worth today at the intersection of 111th and Harlem ave. I was driving east on 111th street and I approached the intersection of Harlem with a red light, and made a quick right turn while the intersecting traffic was making left turns.

I didn't really stop because if I did, I would've lost my opportunity to turn safely, I sorta slowed down then kept going.

But as I was making my right turn, I noticed 2 camera flashes and saw a camera. Then as I pulled into the parking lot of the post office, I noticed there was a sign saying "No turn on Red" that I missed because I was paying attention to the traffic in the intersection.

So am I busted? Am I getting a ticket?

To make matters worse, I looked at my car's registration and noticed for the first time that it was still under my old address from 2004. I've been getting new license plate stickers every year and just never noticed the address.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Jul 20, 2009 -> 11:12 PM)
I got a $75 ticket for a similar offense. I assume you'll get something similar. Just pay it and be done with it.

Here's one thing, though. I'm worried I might not get the ticket in the mail because of the old address on the title and getting a warrent out for my arrest. :(

Not that this pertains to your situation, but...

According to an interesting tidbit I read in the Wall Street Journal last year, studies show red light cameras actually cause more people to run red lights b/c they speed up (when they see yellow) to get through the light so they don't get a ticket, but end up running it anyway. The State of Mississippi has now banned all red light cameras, even after Jackson and Tupelo had already spent a ton of money installing them.

Plus, there are rumors that some cities have shortened the amount of time lights are yellow in an effort to give out more tickets, and therefore, make more money off of the fines that come along with those tickets.

Edit: I can't provide a link b/c, like I wrote, I read it in a newspaper. But, being the WSJ, I'd say it's a pretty credible source.

Edited by dasox24

Those will always get you and I know the exact light your talking about. Lucky for me I was at like 127th and pulaski(I believe, i could be wrong) and made the similar mistake and didnt get anything in the mail

I have got a couple of them. They send it out really quickly too,I got mine within a couple days. I actually did the same thing last weekend on a red light so I am expecting one in the mail myself. Son of a biscuit Daley!

QUOTE (Nixon @ Jul 21, 2009 -> 08:18 AM)
Have any of you guys looked into those license plate protectors that shield your tag from cameras?

My buddy is a cop and he told me that you can get a ticket for having that protector. If it shields you from any IPass or Redlight camera then they can ticket you.

No matter which way you turn, they will get you

QUOTE (SouthsideDon48 @ Jul 21, 2009 -> 12:21 AM)
Here's one thing, though. I'm worried I might not get the ticket in the mail because of the old address on the title and getting a warrent out for my arrest. :(

the red light ticket should just be a petty offense meaning they wouldn't issue a warrant, what they would likely do is call your name at the court date and if you're not there enter a conviction on your driving record and take judgment on any court costs, meaning it could jack a few things up.

Change your address though ASAP. Jessie White can suspend your license for that and you really wouldn't have any notice. Just get pulled over one day and arrested, because that is a misdo, not a petty.

actually did the same thing at this intersection in april. i saw the lights and flashes and fully expected a ticket in the mail. nothing ever came and when i went to the dmv last week to renew my license my record was clean. hope you catch a break like i did

QUOTE (dasox24 @ Jul 21, 2009 -> 01:31 AM)
Not that this pertains to your situation, but...

According to an interesting tidbit I read in the Wall Street Journal last year, studies show red light cameras actually cause more people to run red lights b/c they speed up (when they see yellow) to get through the light so they don't get a ticket, but end up running it anyway. The State of Mississippi has now banned all red light cameras, even after Jackson and Tupelo had already spent a ton of money installing them.

Plus, there are rumors that some cities have shortened the amount of time lights are yellow in an effort to give out more tickets, and therefore, make more money off of the fines that come along with those tickets.

Edit: I can't provide a link b/c, like I wrote, I read it in a newspaper. But, being the WSJ, I'd say it's a pretty credible source.

Another thing it also causes people to slam on their breaks when it turns yellow even though they have every right to go through the interesection at that point. The combination of speeding to get through the intersection in time, and slamming on your breaks to stop from even entering it is never good.

QUOTE (SoxFan562004 @ Jul 21, 2009 -> 09:43 AM)
the red light ticket should just be a petty offense meaning they wouldn't issue a warrant, what they would likely do is call your name at the court date and if you're not there enter a conviction on your driving record and take judgment on any court costs, meaning it could jack a few things up.

Change your address though ASAP. Jessie White can suspend your license for that and you really wouldn't have any notice. Just get pulled over one day and arrested, because that is a misdo, not a petty.

Part of the neat little trick with those cameras is, since they didn't want to put in a robust appeals process, they made then non-moving violation fines. So it doesn't go on your record as a traffic ticket, its more like a parking ticket. So definitely no arrest warrants.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Jul 21, 2009 -> 03:12 PM)
Part of the neat little trick with those cameras is, since they didn't want to put in a robust appeals process, they made then non-moving violation fines. So it doesn't go on your record as a traffic ticket, its more like a parking ticket. So definitely no arrest warrants.

ah excellent, the county (McHenry) I worked in when I was a PD we only did misdos so wasn't sure how the red lights were classified, so yeah, no moving violation no warrant and no 2 sups in a year to worry about. Only real thing I could think of is they take judgment and it messes with your credit a little.

But I do stress to change your address ASAP, they can suspend.

Another thing it also causes people to slam on their breaks when it turns yellow even though they have every right to go through the interesection at that point. The combination of speeding to get through the intersection in time, and slamming on your breaks to stop from even entering it is never good.

It seems I am always in this kind of situation. I really think the rumors of a shortened yellow light are true.

I'll be driving around today, I'll try to count the time of yellow lights at the intersections... sometimes it feels like they only last 1 or 1.5 seconds... definitely not enough time IMO. It seems like there have been so many times where it was either speed up to make it before red, or slam on breaks... pressured decisions.

That's complete bulls*** and proves these cameras are set up for nothing but making cash. If protecting the safety of individuals on the road is what these cameras are all about (that is waht they were saying on my local news last night about installing some of these) why are these treated so lightly? Why is it if I get pulled over by an actual cop it's a moving violation?