Carlos Torres on the way

whitesoxfan101

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Jas said earlier his start was just pushed back one day (and it would have been announced after today's game if they wanted him on the roster tomorrow). Anyways, who would we send down with both him and Colon coming up? Poreda and?

Edited by Buehrle>Wood

Wait, hold up. I think a lot of people are moving too fast here. After 3 starts everyone was saying they wouldn't trade Richard, "he's the next thing". Poreda was always "untouchable", but now that he's up (and not being used) we need to send him down and get Torres? Now, I like Torres and think he might have a chance in the future, but it takes more than 10 appearances with a 2.45 ERA for Poreda and 12 starts for Richard. Sometimes you just need to give a player time to adjust before you send them down (see: Brian Anderson...). Torres will get his time, just like how Getz had to wait for awhile. But give Poreda a chance before they send him down so soon.

QUOTE (The Baconator @ Jul 21, 2009 -> 12:49 AM)
Wait, hold up. I think a lot of people are moving too fast here. After 3 starts everyone was saying they wouldn't trade Richard, "he's the next thing". Poreda was always "untouchable", but now that he's up (and not being used) we need to send him down and get Torres? Now, I like Torres and think he might have a chance in the future, but it takes more than 10 appearances with a 2.45 ERA for Poreda and 12 starts for Richard. Sometimes you just need to give a player time to adjust before you send them down (see: Brian Anderson...). Torres will get his time, just like how Getz had to wait for awhile. But give Poreda a chance before they send him down so soon.

Poreda has pitched very sparingly and in low leverage spots. Get him innings in AAA while a guy like Richards can go to the bullpen, where I think he'll end up being more effective anyways.

QUOTE (The Baconator @ Jul 21, 2009 -> 12:49 AM)

Poreda should have never been called up. Either call him up to start ot keep him in the minors to get work. As for Richard, he's been bad for a very long time now, and we can't afford an automatic hinderance every 5th day since we're contending right now.

QUOTE (The Baconator @ Jul 21, 2009 -> 06:49 AM)

It's clear the Sox don't think Poreda is ready as a starter which is why most people don't want him up here for now. A Torres call-up is probably grooming him for when the inevitable happens: our 5th starters in Colon and Richard fail to get the job done again so we'll need a replacement. I've defended Richard more than anyone on this board and agree it's way too early to conclude anything with him. That said, we cannot afford to have the patience for him to come along right now.

Exactly what I'm saying, in regards to Poreda. A lot of people were clamoring for to be called up, despite some reservations about his readiness. Now that he's up, we want to send him back now for Torres? Torres may not be ready either; I feel people just want to make a move for making-a-move's sake. Either we shouldn't have brought Poreda up in the first place or we should give him more time. Well, he's already up so why should we change after 2.5 weeks and think Torres is the answer? If Torres is indeed ready (again, questionable but perhaps worth a chance), it should be Richard down and Poreda getting more work, if anything.

QUOTE (The Ginger Kid @ Jul 21, 2009 -> 01:17 AM)
I think Richards is going to be awesome tomorrow. He hit a wall there for a bit, but don't forget this guy was running it up there 95-96 at one point. Plus he was kick ass against the Rays last season, esp after javy wet the bed.

A lefty that can throw it hard with some semblance of breaking pitches that can't get it done as a starting pitcher. Sounds like JC Romero.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Jul 21, 2009 -> 05:16 PM)
A lefty that can throw it hard with some semblance of breaking pitches that can't get it done as a starting pitcher. Sounds like JC Romero.

That's why Richard is so inticing right now even if he is struggling.

Lefties with his velocity on the fastball that can start don't exactly grow on trees.

I'll always be one to support the promotion of a player, if no other options are readily available on the ballclub, for no other reason than to observe whether the person can handle the majors. What exactly do we have to lose?

And no, I don't want to hear "what if he comes up here and does poorly? It may affect his confidence!" If he were to fail, be sent down, pull a Marquez and embarrass the organization by falling off the planet, then he just doesn't have the balls to pitch in the majors and I don't want him playing for the ballclub. Atleast we'd be finding out sooner rather than later. At this point in his career, what does Torres have to work on that necessitates his stay in the minors? Atleast with Poreda you could have argued his control needed work, or his secondary pitches.

Edited by Flash Tizzle

If Torres does come up and impresses with his stuff tomorrow, I could see him moving to the bullpen if some salary needs to be cleared and one of Dotel or Linebrink is moved if another starter is acquired. I'm not sure the organization would trust one start in the middle of July to declare someone 5th starter for the rest of the season, but I do think they would use them out of the pen...thinking of McCarthy right now.