Carlos Torres on the way

whitesoxfan101

Jeffrey Marquez is not making a start in the next few days, so he may be headed to the DL. Whisler pitches tomorrow, Egbert Thursday, then ? possibly Kelvin Jimenez Friday, no mention of Marquez as a possibility according to Knights broadcaster.

Edited by JPN366

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Jul 21, 2009 -> 01:22 PM)
Kinda feels like calling up AP was a massive waste of time for everyone involved. If anything using him that little, may have stunted the development that he could have had in AA or AAA.

I tend to agree that it was a mistake, I see nothing useful from having done it the way it was done.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jul 21, 2009 -> 01:42 PM)
Sweet. I will change the thread title.

He said Torres was going to be unavailable to pitch for Charlotte and that Carlos only thinks it's a one game promotion.

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Jul 21, 2009 -> 01:41 PM)
Poreda sent down. Torres on his way.

Per Mark Gonzalez.

Good, it was clear that AP was not ready for the majors. He has zero command of any of his pitches and needs to continue to work out as a starter.

Also, what the hell happened to his velocity when he came up? He was throwing 90-91 most of the time which isnt exactly what has made him as good as he has been in the minors.

Edited by RockRaines

Torres up (For Now); Poreda Down

By Jason Gage, FutureSox.com

Mark Gonzalez, Chicago Tribune, is reporting that the Chicago White Sox have purchased the contract of Carlos Torres from AAA Charlotte. Torres will replace Aaron Poreda on the White Sox roster, who was optioned back to Charlotte. Charlotte now has one too many on the roster so expect a roster move to follow, potentially Jeff Marquez being placed back on the DL.

Torres will be in Chicago in time for tonight’s game and our sources indicate his promotion will be short-lived. Torres will provide the Sox with relief in case Clayton Richard has another poor outing and will remain on the roster until Friday, when Torres is optioned back to AAA Charlotte to make room for Bartolo Colon, who is scheduled to start part of the double-header.

Torres was a 15th round selection (2004) out of Kansas State and went 8-4 with a 2.20 ERA in 16 games (15 starts) for the Knights this season. He is primarily a fastball pitcher (90-93) with a very live arm. His best pitch is his cutter and he’ll compliment his fastball with a change-up and curve. Fastball Command and his ability to keep hitters off-base by changing locations and using his off-speed stuff effectively is the key to Torres success.

Poreda, who is the Sox top pitching prospect, was used sporadically since being promoted to Chicago on June 9th. Poreda pitched well (2.45 ERA, 9H, 12K, 8 BB, 11IP) in all but his final appearance, where he faced two batters with the bases loaded and preceded to walk both of them.

While a demotion is typically not considered a good thing, Poreda should benefit from additional time in the minors. In fact, I’d call the demotion a great thing for Poreda’s career as his limited useage over the past month did nothing to help his development.

He’ll be able to rejoin the rotation in Charlotte and continue to develop his secondary stuff while working on improving his command. A stretched out Poreda might also be a Plan B, C, or D this season if Torres/Richard/Colon struggle in the rotation.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Jul 21, 2009 -> 11:54 AM)
Good, it was clear that AP was not ready for the majors. He has zero command of any of his pitches and needs to continue to work out as a starter.

Also, what the hell happened to his velocity when he came up? He was throwing 90-91 most of the time which isnt exactly what has made him as good as he has been in the minors.

Poreda is good because of the sinking action he gets on his fastball. The velocity was down but I saw him clocked pretty consistently in the 90-94 range which is pretty consistent with how he pitches. In short-bursts he'll hit 96-97. I'm not sure if the Sox told him to take it down 1-2 or what though cause it definately wasn't as "advertised" in terms of velocity but it rarely is (and that isn't just with the Sox).

Minor league guns tend to be a bit juiced. Regardless the sink at a good velocity is what makes him special or at least intriguing, imo.

Poreda, who is the Sox top pitching prospect, was used sporadically since being promoted to Chicago on June 9th. Poreda pitched well (2.45 ERA, 9H, 12K, 8 BB, 11IP) in all but his final appearance, where he faced two batters with the bases loaded and preceded to walk both of them.

PROCEEDED...

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jul 21, 2009 -> 02:17 PM)

PROCEEDED...

GAGED

from futuresox.com

Jul 21st, 2009

Carlos Torres will make MLB Debut on Wednesday

By Chisoxfn

In an update to our original story, FutureSox.com has learned that Carlos Torres will make his major league debut on Wednesday, starting in place of LHP John Danks. Danks had been scratched from Wednesday’s game against the Rays due to an injured finger (blister).

Torres had initially been called up to piggy-back Clayton Richard’s start and was going to remain on the roster until Bartolo Colon replaced him on the roster on Friday. Torres will now start Wednesday and is still scheduled to head back down to make room for Colon.

Joe Cowley is reporting that the Sox expect Danks will miss only one start due to the blister on his pitching hand.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jul 21, 2009 -> 02:14 PM)
Poreda is good because of the sinking action he gets on his fastball. The velocity was down but I saw him clocked pretty consistently in the 90-94 range which is pretty consistent with how he pitches. In short-bursts he'll hit 96-97. I'm not sure if the Sox told him to take it down 1-2 or what though cause it definately wasn't as "advertised" in terms of velocity but it rarely is (and that isn't just with the Sox).

Minor league guns tend to be a bit juiced. Regardless the sink at a good velocity is what makes him special or at least intriguing, imo.

For a sinkerball pitcher, velocity is something you don't necessarily want. 90-94 is perfect. Hell, 94 might be a bit too fast. The faster the ball gets up to the pitcher, the less time the ball has to sink.

However, I would like to see a 4 seamer that he can throw once in a while in the 95-97 range. I haven't seen it yet, but the fact he is in the bullpen and not the rotation might have changed his approach and perhaps his fastball gets stronger as he goes in a game.