Carlos Torres on the way

whitesoxfan101

If this is true--which it makes perfect sense--Torres would be able to come in to relieve Richard if Clayton needs to be removed early. While Torres wouldn't "start", he'd be available to go 4, 5 innings in a relief role--something Poreda, Carrasco wouldn't.

Poreda would likely go down to make room.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (The Baconator @ Jul 21, 2009 -> 01:23 AM)
Exactly what I'm saying, in regards to Poreda. A lot of people were clamoring for to be called up, despite some reservations about his readiness. Now that he's up, we want to send him back now for Torres? Torres may not be ready either; I feel people just want to make a move for making-a-move's sake. Either we shouldn't have brought Poreda up in the first place or we should give him more time. Well, he's already up so why should we change after 2.5 weeks and think Torres is the answer? If Torres is indeed ready (again, questionable but perhaps worth a chance), it should be Richard down and Poreda getting more work, if anything.

Exactly. Be careful what you wish for, rookie pitchers, especially with the White Sox, have a tendancy to get lit up.

QUOTE (forrestg @ Jul 21, 2009 -> 08:27 AM)
me smell an upcoming trade.

I am guessig that option is about 50/50. Actually I would rather stick with our own talent and not mortgage the future for a fellow that might leave to free agency and I am thinking that's the kind of hurler being dangled out there right now

I don't smell an upcoming trade. I think Poreda is going to go down and get stretched out and get constant work with Torres piggy-packing Richard and if Richard struggles they'll flip with Torres getting the start against the Tigers next week and Richard in the pen.

From the minor league perspective, Charlotte's roster has 1 too many active players. So, if Torres goes up and someone goes down, there has to be corresponding moves made. Someone like Jeffrey Marquez could go on the DL, maybe someone is released, a limited player like Daryle Ward. Considering that Charlotte now has 6 outfielders (Anderson, Cook, Hopper, Kroeger, Negron & Restovich), there's a possible release candidate. I wouldn't rule out a trade of a major league reliever for a few low level minor leaguers, Kanny and W-S have open roster space and could use pitchers.

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Jul 21, 2009 -> 11:07 AM)
Is Torres someone we drafted, or did he come via trade? Was he known before this season, outside of the few posters on here that follow the minors very closely?

He was drafted by the Sox in the 15th round in '04.

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Jul 21, 2009 -> 09:07 AM)
Is Torres someone we drafted, or did he come via trade? Was he known before this season, outside of the few posters on here that follow the minors very closely?

The link I posted has all that info Milk. Wasn't on most guys radars prior to the season due to his age but he's produced throughout the minors and has added a cutter to his arsenal. He might surprise all of us.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jul 21, 2009 -> 11:08 AM)
The link I posted has all that info Milk. Wasn't on most guys radars prior to the season due to his age but he's produced throughout the minors and has added a cutter to his arsenal. He might surprise all of us.

Oh that cutter...A staple of the organization.

How is Jeff Marquez's comin along with his :chair yuck.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jul 21, 2009 -> 11:32 AM)
Well Torres cutter is his best pitch.

I'm excited to see him...

Did you mention his cutter on the future sox thing...I thought that it said a fastball 90-93, a slider, and a changeup.

So by that - he added a cutter. Which is what I was getting at since it seems to be the thing our guys add. And if you're saying it's now his best pitch - I am interested.

Unless you just meant his fastball with life is his cutter but the description I saw sounded like it was a two-seamer.

QUOTE (Pumpkin Escobar @ Jul 21, 2009 -> 09:37 AM)
I'm excited to see him...

Did you mention his cutter on the future sox thing...I thought that it said a fastball 90-93, a slider, and a changeup.

So by that - he added a cutter. Which is what I was getting at since it seems to be the thing our guys add. And if you're saying it's now his best pitch - I am interested.

Unless you just meant his fastball with life is his cutter but the description I saw sounded like it was a two-seamer.

I mentioned his fastball because it should be pointed out that it is his fastball which he uses. He has a 4 seamer, 2 seamer, and cutter and every bit of his pitches have life. I'll add another sentence or two to give more detail. He really really pitches off his fastball but has a good enough slider and change to keep hitters off balance. But the key is the movement he's got on his FBs. Hopefully he's got good enough command of it :)

I kind of liken him to that prospect who sits through the minors and somehow comes up and has a nice run in the majors and surprisingly turns into a serviceable starter. I don't know if it'll ever be with the Sox but I wouldn't be shocked if he turns into a solid reliever for us and maybe even has a few good spot-starts.

QUOTE (JPN366 @ Jul 21, 2009 -> 10:56 AM)
From the minor league perspective, Charlotte's roster has 1 too many active players. So, if Torres goes up and someone goes down, there has to be corresponding moves made. Someone like Jeffrey Marquez could go on the DL, maybe someone is released, a limited player like Daryle Ward. Considering that Charlotte now has 6 outfielders (Anderson, Cook, Hopper, Kroeger, Negron & Restovich), there's a possible release candidate. I wouldn't rule out a trade of a major league reliever for a few low level minor leaguers, Kanny and W-S have open roster space and could use pitchers.

W-S and Kanny may need pitchers, but Kanny has a bunch of guys ready for promotion, so I don't think you need to go get anyone from outside the org.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jul 21, 2009 -> 09:43 AM)
I don't smell an upcoming trade. I think Poreda is going to go down and get stretched out and get constant work with Torres piggy-packing Richard and if Richard struggles they'll flip with Torres getting the start against the Tigers next week and Richard in the pen.

^^^^^^

Yep, and I think this is a good way to use him.

I'm glad he's here. Would've felt cheated if we never got a look.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Jul 21, 2009 -> 11:40 AM)
W-S and Kanny may need pitchers, but Kanny has a bunch of guys ready for promotion, so I don't think you need to go get anyone from outside the org.

I know, just speculating and that was the least likely thing in my opinion.

I've just been told that if Torres is promoted, Poreda's the one coming back. Ozzie doesn't want Aaron there right now. Aaron getting promoted was on Kenny and Ozz has told Kenny he needs someone else right now.

It has nothing to do with Poreda, more that the Sox feel Poreda needs more seasoning and because of it Oz just isn't comfortable using Aaron. We'll see him back in the Knights rotation.

This of course is assuming Torres is actually up.