Rays (51-42) @ White Sox (48-44) 7:11pm CSN-HD

WSoxMatt

• Replies 718
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

We officially have the best "on paper only" bullpen in the league. These guys constantly put the team in danger of losing late.

Can't argue with that. Hopefully Bobby is just having a bad week or two. He's usually pretty damn good.

Scary about Danks' blister.

Edited by greg775

Sorry, don't mean to bring any positive vibes to the board but Clayton pitched really well. That gives me a whole mess of hope for his future, both this season and beyond..

Back to your pessimistic comments about the bullpen/team.

:notworthy

QUOTE (WCSox @ Jul 21, 2009 -> 10:20 PM)
Rongy's show is a frightening reminder of how uninformed and intellectually-deficient most of America is.

It really is. Its almost makes one embarrassed to be a human. I wish they would limit call in shows, and perhaps do a better job of screening the callers. Some of these guys................there is no way they should be allowed to be on the air.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jul 21, 2009 -> 08:21 PM)
Can't argue with that. Hopefully Bobby is just having a bad week or two. He's usually pretty damn good.

Scary about Danks' blister.

I'm more afraid of Jenks' WHIP. Danks doesn't seem to have a Jeremy Affeldt-like habitual blister problem.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jul 21, 2009 -> 08:23 PM)
It really is. Its almost makes one embarrassed to be a human. I wish they would limit call in shows, and perhaps do a better job of screening the callers. Some of these guys................there is no way they should be allowed to be on the air.

Indeed, the term "inhumanly stupid" comes to mind.

These people are lucky that they don't live in a place like China, as they'd make a great case for forced sterilization.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jul 21, 2009 -> 10:23 PM)

Its the same 4 to 6 callers that show, all the time.

What a f***ing stupid move to take out Richard. He's been dealing the whole game, it's only a 1 run game, and you don't even give your starter that got you thus far a shot at closing it out? So f***ing what if his pitch count was at 116. You think a couple more pitches are gonna make his arm fall off? It made absolutely no sense not to put him back out there with a short leash.

To make matters worse, you put in Jenks who has struggled severely in his last 2 or 3 save chances.

Pure stupidity. Way too go Guillen, you ruin what was a very fun game to watch by taking out your starter because of a "high pitch count". f***ing stupid.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jul 21, 2009 -> 08:31 PM)
And when Richard went down for Tommy John surgery in 3 weeks, everyone would be calling for Ozzie's head for ruining a young starter.

And if either Jenks or Richard struck out the side in the 9th this evening, somebody at Soxtalk would find something else to complain about.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jul 21, 2009 -> 10:31 PM)
And when Richard went down for Tommy John surgery in 3 weeks, everyone would be calling for Ozzie's head for ruining a young starter.

:lolhitting Are you serious? I'm sure because Clayton threw more than 100 pitches in a game, his arm would fall off.

Give me a break dude. He can handle 116, but 126 is too much, especially for a 25 year old pitcher? Not to mention he's coming off a nice

long rest and hasn't had a long workload at all this season.

Get real.

QUOTE (BearSox @ Jul 22, 2009 -> 03:30 AM)
What a f***ing stupid move to take out Richard. He's been dealing the whole game, it's only a 1 run game, and you don't even give your starter that got you thus far a shot at closing it out? So f***ing what if his pitch count was at 116. You think a couple more pitches are gonna make his arm fall off? It made absolutely no sense not to put him back out there with a short leash.

To make matters worse, you put in Jenks who has struggled severely in his last 2 or 3 save chances.

Pure stupidity. Way too go Guillen, you ruin what was a very fun game to watch by taking out your starter because of a "high pitch count". f***ing stupid.

But you were probably screaming at Oz for leaving him in for the 8th before he got the dp...

QUOTE (WCSox @ Jul 21, 2009 -> 10:33 PM)
And if either Jenks or Richard struck out the side in the 9th this evening, somebody at Soxtalk would find something else to complain about.

That 7th inning left a lot to complain about, win or lose. Same thing with the win yesterday. Our hitting late in games has been god awful.

QUOTE (BearSox @ Jul 21, 2009 -> 10:34 PM)
:lolhitting Are you serious? I'm sure because Clayton threw more than 100 pitches in a game, his arm would fall off.

Give me a break dude. He can handle 116, but 126 is too much, especially for a 25 year old pitcher? Not to mention he's coming off a nice

Get real.

Dusty Baker loves this line of thinking.

QUOTE (BearSox @ Jul 21, 2009 -> 08:34 PM)

Get real.

No, you need to "get real." Richard had been sucking ass for the past month, and responded with a brilliant 8-inning outing. At that point, you put him in a position to win the game. You don't let him go out in the 9th to lose it due to fatigue, or put undue stress on his unconditioned arm.

If you can't trust an established, high-tier closer to shut the door in the 9th, you need to look for another closer.

QUOTE (CarlosMartinez @ Jul 21, 2009 -> 10:35 PM)
But you were probably screaming at Oz for leaving him in for the 8th before he got the dp...

Ah, nope. He had every right to be out there, Richard looked fantastic today, he had everything going for him. And that "hit" he gave up to Navarro was a weakly hit grounder that should have been an error on Beckham.

QUOTE (southsideirish71 @ Jul 21, 2009 -> 10:36 PM)

Which is funny cause I call Ozzie the latino Dusty Baker except he's much better of handling pitchers. But their managing styles are eerily similar it's crazy.

QUOTE (WCSox @ Jul 21, 2009 -> 10:37 PM)
No, you need to "get real." Richard had been sucking ass for the past month, and responded with a brilliant 8-inning outing. At that point, you put him in a position to win the game. You don't let him go out in the 9th to lose it due to fatigue, or put undue stress on his unconditioned arm.

If you can't trust an established, high-tier closer to shut the door in the 9th, you need to look for another closer.

The past month had nothing to do with tonight. Who the f*** cares what his past month looked like? Tonight was all that mattered, and he had everything working for him.

Also, his arm is unconditioned? He's been starting for what, 3 months now? If his arm isn't conditioned, he shouldn't be starting right now.

Also, it really had nothing to do with the closer in that situation in the first place. I mentioned Jenks struggling his previous couple outings, but that should have had no bearing on the decision. Tonight was not the type of game where you go to the bullpen when you have your pitcher pitching as well as Richard was. You put him out there on a short leash. If he looks fatigued out there and he doesn't have the same stuff/control as the previous 8, fine take him out.

Also, what's better, giving your pitcher a chance to win it? Or let someone else finish the game for him and close the book on you? I, as a former player, would prefer the former.

QUOTE (southsideirish71 @ Jul 21, 2009 -> 10:36 PM)

No one is saying run the pitcher out there to throw 120+ pitches every game no matter what. Tonight is the exception though. Richard was dealing, it was a 2-1 ball game, he got us thus far, let him try and finish it off.

If your a MLB pitcher and you can't handle throwing 120-130 pitches once in a great while, especially when you are only 25, you don't belong in the MLB.

QUOTE (BearSox @ Jul 21, 2009 -> 11:43 PM)
The past month had nothing to do with tonight. Who the f*** cares what his past month looked like? Tonight was all that mattered, and he had everything working for him.

Also, his arm is unconditioned? He's been starting for what, 3 months now? If his arm isn't conditioned, he shouldn't be starting right now.

Also, it really had nothing to do with the closer in that situation in the first place. I mentioned Jenks struggling his previous couple outings, but that should have had no bearing on the decision. Tonight was not the type of game where you go to the bullpen when you have your pitcher pitching as well as Richard was. You put him out there on a short leash. If he looks fatigued out there and he doesn't have the same stuff/control as the previous 8, fine take him out.

Also, what's better, giving your pitcher a chance to win it? Or let someone else finish the game for him and close the book on you? I, as a former player, would prefer the former.

:lolhitting :lolhitting :lolhitting

It should have been Thornton in the 9th tonight, and I actually thought it was a no brainer. However, when it gets to Bobby and we lose, I have a hard time blaming Ozzie, but after tonight, that might change. Bobby might rebound, but the unconditional trust I have had in him since he came up in 2005 is now gone. You just can't fully trust him anymore with the stuff he has, which is nowhere near what it was.

Edited by whitesoxfan101