Baltimore and Atlanta scouting the ChiSox last night?

prochisox

White Sox don't appear to be in trade mode

With Carlos Quentin back, Bartolo Colon and Freddy Garcia on the way, team may be set

July 21, 2009

The White Sox likened the return of Carlos Quentin on Monday to acquiring a top slugger.

But with pitcher Bartolo Colon tentatively scheduled to return Friday and Freddy Garcia returning possibly by mid-August, there is some sense that the Sox might have enough reinforcements not to make a deal before the July 31 non-waiver trade deadline.

"Players, when it comes to those [trade] rumors and all that kind of stuff, it affects us the least out of everybody," Paul Konerko said. "You deal with who you have at that time and you know if you sit there and you start worrying about ... if we get this guy ... you're going to personally drop the ball yourself that night. It's kind of off limits to players."

Representatives from Baltimore and Atlanta attended the Sox's game Monday night against Tampa Bay.

Meanwhile, Clayton Richard's start Tuesday night could dictate the shape of the Sox's pitching staff, as could fellow left-hander Aaron Poreda's control issues as a reliever.

After the Tampa Bay series, the Sox won't rely on their left-handers this weekend at Detroit as much as next week at Minnesota. But left-handed reliever Matt Thornton is on call because his wife, Emily, is expecting the couple's first child on July 31.

But from a long-term view, pitching coach Don Cooper believes Garcia, a 2005 World Series hero, might need only four starts in the minors before returning to the majors.

Garcia will throw another bullpen session Thursday after impressing manager Ozzie Guillen and Cooper during a 45-pitch session Monday.

"The words that he used -- 'I haven't felt this good, I have no pain' -- that's music to my ears," Cooper said.

The demotion of outfielder Brian Anderson to Triple-A Charlotte apparently means the Sox are set in the field, with Dewayne Wise serving as the backup outfielder and Jayson Nix and Josh Fields as reserve infielders.

It also means the Sox feel secure with Quentin despite his feeling occasional soreness in his left foot after completing a rehab assignment at Charlotte.

"This is the big leagues," Quentin said. "An inch here is pretty big and [could] cost a game, so I needed to make sure I could perform up to standards that would allow any circumstances like that to not come into play."

Rest before Sox: Garcia admitted his first choice was to go home and rest his shoulder after the Mets released him following only two minor-league starts.

"I needed that for my shoulder to relax and recover," Garcia said after his bullpen session. "I wasn't ready to go play because my shoulder bothered me, so it was better to relax."

Garcia said he didn't hear from teams for more than a month before his agent spoke with the Sox about signing a minor-league contract that gave him more time to strengthen his shoulder.

Extra innings: The Tigers' preliminary rotation is set up so that the Sox will face Justin Verlander in one of the games Friday, followed by Edwin Jackson on Saturday and Rick Porcello on Sunday night. ... First baseman Brandon Allen, whom the Sox dealt to the Diamondbacks organization for reliever Tony Pena, was batting .385 with four home runs and nine RBIs in eight games for Triple-A Reno.

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (GO CHI SOX! @ Jul 21, 2009 -> 01:22 PM)
"This is the big leagues," Quentin said. "An inch here is pretty big and [could] cost a game, so I needed to make sure I could perform up to standards that would allow any circumstances like that to not come into play."

Apparently, our idea of defense and Ozzie's idea are two different things.

QUOTE (GO CHI SOX! @ Jul 21, 2009 -> 12:41 PM)
I figure that Baltimore and Atlanta wanted to see Josh Fields, thats why he was starting last night.

Because if there's one thing the Braves need it's a bad 3B/1B/DH/corner OF type?

QUOTE (JPN366 @ Jul 21, 2009 -> 12:56 PM)
If there is any deal with the Braves, the White Sox NEED to acquire Cody Johnson, he's the outfield equivalent of Tyler Flowers.

What would it take to aqcuire this Cody Johnson? A reliever perhaps? Maybe Atlanta is interested in Linebrink? And if Baltamore is interested in Fields, seriously they could have the guy. Just give us a Single-A prospect and were good.

QUOTE (GreatScott82 @ Jul 21, 2009 -> 01:03 PM)
What would it take to aqcuire this Cody Johnson? A reliever perhaps? Maybe Atlanta is interested in Linebrink? And if Baltamore is interested in Fields, seriously they could have the guy. Just give us a Single-A prospect and were good.

Cody Johnson stats Take a look and speculate.

Edited by JPN366

QUOTE (GreatScott82 @ Jul 21, 2009 -> 01:03 PM)

Fields looked utterly lost at the plate last night. Even Hawk was making some comments about how the guy never hits. Good choice for a DH.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Jul 21, 2009 -> 12:09 PM)
wow, he has struck out 113 times in 310 AB? Sounds like he is the equivalent of Lillibridge

Considering that he isn't 21 for four weeks, his upside is huge despite the strikeouts. Definitely worth taking a chance on.

QUOTE (JPN366 @ Jul 21, 2009 -> 01:14 PM)
He's only 20 and has sick power, I'd take him.

Borchard has made me extremely wary of sick power and lots of K's. Granted they are not the same player, i understand that, I just dont like to see that high of a percentage of K's in any player.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Jul 21, 2009 -> 01:16 PM)
Borchard has made me extremely wary of sick power and lots of K's. Granted they are not the same player, i understand that, I just dont like to see that high of a percentage of K's in any player.

I understand, but the Braves promoted Freddie Freeman and Jason Heyward over Johnson, and they are both a year younger, so he could definitely be had.

QUOTE (JPN366 @ Jul 21, 2009 -> 01:21 PM)
This time last year I was wishing that Tyler Flowers was in our organization too, hmmmmmm....

Is it not odd to see the Braves shipping their prospects all over the league like they are? Josh Anderson, Tyler Flowers, Brent Lillibridge, Gorkys Hernandez, Charlie Morton, Jeff Locke.....it seems like they are totally cleaning house this year.

QUOTE (elrockinMT @ Jul 21, 2009 -> 01:23 PM)
They like his strike out ability apparently. Or is that a pitchers forte?

Isnt this the part where you say you want to keep Fields? :D

Edited by KyYlE23

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Jul 21, 2009 -> 01:23 PM)
Is it not odd to see the Braves shipping their prospects all over the league like they are? Josh Anderson, Tyler Flowers, Brent Lillibridge, Gorkys Hernandez, Charlie Morton, Jeff Locke.....it seems like they are totally cleaning house this year.

More reason to try and get Cody Johnson!

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Jul 21, 2009 -> 01:09 PM)
wow, he has struck out 113 times in 310 AB? Sounds like he is the equivalent of Lillibridge

Last season, he struck out 177 times in 127 games (468 AB). THe kids got power, but he's all or nothing.

Lets assume he's a future #4 hitter. Projecting out to about 150 games, that's 209 Ks and 31 HRs in roughly 706 plate appearances.