What's wrong with Bobby Jenks?

whitesoxfan101

Last 5 outings: 5.1 IP, 10 hits, 3 walks, 1 HBP, 7 runs (6 earned)

I understand everybody has the right to slump, but his WHIP and BAA are approaching 2006 levels, and his ERA has surpassed it. He was 41 for 45 in saves that year, and is a respectable 22 for 25 this year, but it seems like he's in trouble almost every outing, and every 92 MPH fastball he throws makes me more and more worried that he's on a downhill turn. If we trade him this winter, I can't blame the front office.

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Markbilliards @ Jul 21, 2009 -> 10:49 PM)
Even if his next two outings are awful, he will still be our closer and he will still be successful later in the season and in his career. Just look the other way for a little while. He'll be fine.

I'd be surprised if Bobby Jenks is on our team in 2010, and that has nothing to do with my personal opinion of the guy. He's going to be our closer for the rest of the year, but as long as he keeps topping out at 92-93 on non juiced radar guns and not trusting his 4 seamer, he will either blow several more saves or have to get out of a lot of harrowing jams.

The first couple hitters last night his stuff looked sick. Then he lost everything. I have no idea what is wrong with him but it almost has to be mental because he's gone out there and gotten the job done against equally tough teams with less stuff than he had last night.

BTW I don't know if it's just me, but it seems like every time he gets burned at least one of the hits is a liner somewhere from a contact guy off a fastball about thigh-high on the outer portion of the plate. That, and just in general he doesn't seem to be throwing that fastball inside enough.

QUOTE (SoxFan1 @ Jul 21, 2009 -> 10:54 PM)
I was waiting for it. Came later than I assumed.

Go ahead, tell me why I have no reason to be concerned over Bobby Jenks. It would be a fascinating argument I think considering his stuff, WHIP, and ERA are all as bad as they have ever been with the Sox.

Edited by whitesoxfan101

QUOTE (whitesoxfan101 @ Jul 21, 2009 -> 10:45 PM)
Last 5 outings: 5.1 IP, 10 hits, 3 walks, 1 HBP, 7 runs (6 earned)

I understand everybody has the right to slump, but his WHIP and BAA are approaching 2006 levels, and his ERA has surpassed it. He was 41 for 45 in saves that year, and is a respectable 22 for 25 this year, but it seems like he's in trouble almost every outing, and every 92 MPH fastball he throws makes me more and more worried that he's on a downhill turn. If we trade him this winter, I can't blame the front office.

Now 10 perfect outings out of his 25 save opportunities.

He's allowed 2+ baserunners in 8 out of his 25 save opps.

Its not velocity, its not his belly, its not any behavioral issues. Its location. When Jenks is on, he pumps a moving 94 mph fastball that hits corners and he gets ahead. Then he uses his curve or slider to put the guy away. Now his fastball is up, hitters are swinging early and presto boom. Its not rocket science. When your location is off, you start to aim. Presto walks, hit batters. The crap we are seeing. He needs a few days off, and maybe some side work. Could it be an issue with a mechanical tick. Sure who knows.

Do I deal him in the offseason. Hell Yes. But thats because he will have value, and he is becoming a very expensive property.

QUOTE (whitesoxfan101 @ Jul 21, 2009 -> 10:59 PM)
Go ahead, tell me why I have no reason to be concerned over Bobby Jenks. It would be a fascinating argument I think considering his stuff, WHIP, and ERA are all as bad as they have ever been with the Sox.

Take it easy chief. I said nothing about Jenks. All I'm saying is that this thread came WAAAAAAY later than I expected. I thought it'd have been posted some time in the bottom of the 9th.

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Jul 21, 2009 -> 11:00 PM)
Now 10 perfect outings out of his 25 save opportunities.

He's allowed 2+ baserunners in 8 out of his 25 save opps.

That's surprising for a guy with a WHIP as high as his is, along with 3 blown saves and several near blown saves.

Edited by whitesoxfan101

He needs to start getting ahead with offspeed stuff, as you could tell Tampa's scouting report said to jump on the first pitch. Even last night, Pena started the 9th with a blast way, way foul. He doesn't throw hard enough to just frequently blow it past hitters like he did in 2005, etc. I wonder if all the homers he allowed earlier in the year has scared him into using the 2 seamer a lot more?

Edited by fathom

QUOTE (SoxFan1 @ Jul 21, 2009 -> 11:02 PM)
Take it easy chief. I said nothing about Jenks. All I'm saying is that this thread came WAAAAAAY later than I expected. I thought it'd have been posted some time in the bottom of the 9th.

Well I'm sure somebody is going to come in here and tell me why Jenks is fine. I'm not buying it. He does indeed have a right to a slump just like every other player, but there are also reasons to be very concerned about Bobby right now.

QUOTE (fathom @ Jul 21, 2009 -> 11:03 PM)
He needs to start getting ahead with offspeed stuff, as you could tell Tampa's scouting report said to jump on the first pitch. Even last night, Pena started the 9th with a blast way, way foul.

Well that's one adjustment he could make that would actually help (I don't think he can really make an adjustment to throw harder). He has a lot of first pitches hit hard, and usually they are fastballs.

QUOTE (SoxAce @ Jul 21, 2009 -> 11:06 PM)
It's funny too cause his K/BB rate/ratio has been very good this year. He's basically Rod Beck 2.0 right now, cept this is one of the rare saves he's blown.

He's had a pretty good curveball this year for the most part, which I think helps explain the K rate. The curveball this year, IMO, has been the biggest reason he's been able to be even as ok as he has. He had a stretch in June where it wasn't there, but other than that, it's saved him quite a bit. That and the slider to a lesser degree has also helped.

Edited by whitesoxfan101

QUOTE (whitesoxfan101 @ Jul 21, 2009 -> 11:02 PM)
That's surprising for a guy with a WHIP as high as his is, along with 3 blown saves and several near blown saves.

Out of the 9 AL closers with 19+ saves this year Bobby has the 4th highest perfect outing % in save opps (40%) behind Mo and Rivera (50%+) and Brian Fuentes (44%). None of the other 5 are above 35%.

Joe Nathan:     15/27 = 56%

Mo Rivera: 15/28 = 54%

Brian Fuentes: 14/32 = 44%

Bobby Jenks: 10/25 = 40%

George Sherrill: 8/23 = 35%

David Aardsma: 8/24 = 33%

Jon Papelbon: 8/26 = 31%

Fernando Rodney: 6/20 = 30%

QUOTE (SoxAce @ Jul 22, 2009 -> 05:06 AM)
It's funny too cause his K/BB rate/ratio has been very good this year. He's basically Rod Beck 2.0 right now, cept this is one of the rare saves he's blown.

People forget how disgustingly bad his K/9 IP was last year. I wanted him traded during the offseason, and think he'll be dealt after this season. It sucks to see this happening, as he's had just a magical run with the Sox so far.

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Jul 21, 2009 -> 11:09 PM)
<!--quoteo(post=1954736:date=Jul 21, 2009 -> 11:02 PM:name=whitesoxfan101)-->
QUOTE (whitesoxfan101 @ Jul 21, 2009 -> 11:02 PM)
<!--quotec-->That's surprising for a guy with a WHIP as high as his is, along with 3 blown saves and several near blown saves.

Out of the 9 AL closers with 19+ saves this year Bobby has the 4th highest perfect outing % in save opps (40%) behind Mo and Rivera (50%+) and Brian Fuentes (44%). None of the other 5 are above 35%.

Joe Nathan:     15/27 = 56%

Mo Rivera: 15/28 = 54%

Brian Fuentes: 14/32 = 44%

Bobby Jenks: 10/25 = 40%

George Sherrill: 8/23 = 35%

David Aardsma: 8/24 = 33%

Jon Papelbon: 8/26 = 31%

Fernando Rodney: 6/20 = 30%

I guess that just shows how bad he's been on nights where he didn't have it.

QUOTE (fathom @ Jul 21, 2009 -> 11:10 PM)
People forget how disgustingly bad his K/9 IP was last year. I wanted him traded during the offseason, and think he'll be dealt after this season. It sucks to see this happening, as he's had just a magical run with the Sox so far.

Yeah I'd be stunned if he isn't dealt and I agree it's sad what is happening to him.

QUOTE (whitesoxfan101 @ Jul 22, 2009 -> 05:09 AM)
He's had a pretty good curveball this year for the most part, which I think helps explain the K rate. The curveball this year, IMO, has been the biggest reason he's been able to be even as ok as he has. He had a stretch in June where it wasn't there, but other than that, it's saved him quite a bit. That and the slider to a lesser degree has also helped.

Tonight was the least explosive I've ever seen his stuff. He did something he never does, and that's throw his fastball in the dirt. When he's even moderately fresh, his fastball will tail up and away to lefties. And as soxfan1 talked about in the gamethread, Burrell got some favorable calls. It sucks he hit Longoria, cause that was a 5-4-3 waiting to happen.

QUOTE (fathom @ Jul 21, 2009 -> 11:12 PM)
Tonight was the least explosive I've ever seen his stuff. He did something he never does, and that's throw his fastball in the dirt. When he's even moderately fresh, his fastball will tail up and away to lefties. And as soxfan1 talked about in the gamethread, Burrell got some favorable calls. It sucks he hit Longoria, cause that was a 5-4-3 waiting to happen.

I wouldn't have a concern in the world with Bobby if not for how his stuff tends to look, which is not very good. I agree tonight was especially bad though, and this is honestly the first time (outside of maybe overreacting after a game, which I'm sure i've done several times) that I am legitimately concerned about Bobby.

In save situations: 25 G, 25 IP, 1.12 WHIP, 3.60 ERA, 8.28 K/9, 2.52 BB/9, 3 HR

In non-save situations: 9 G, 9 IP, 1.78 WHIP, 6.00 ERA, 12.00 K/9, 3.00 BB/9, 2 HR

In saves: 22 G, 22 IP, 0.86 WHIP, 1.64 ERA, 9.00 K/9, 2.04 BB/9, 1 HR

in blown saves: 3 G, 3 IP, 2.33 WHIP, 18.00 ERA, 3.00 K/9, 6.00 BB/9, 2 HR

So yeah, he's pretty atrocious in his blown saves and non-save situations.