What's wrong with Bobby Jenks?

whitesoxfan101

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Pumpkin Escobar @ Jul 22, 2009 -> 02:24 PM)
You're hilarious. I have to leave work. I don't have time keep dealing with you changing and manipulating things like a coward.

Give Chris Rongey a call after tonight's game. He gets paid to listen to people like you.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jul 22, 2009 -> 02:24 PM)
Is Jenks closer to Papelbon or the "Joe Crede" of closers?

Are you kidding me? When was the last time that Jenks missed a significant amount of time due to an injury?

Jenks was hurt in 2006, and there's the screw issue...and perhaps the possibility of a DL visit, which would be a disaster with Thornton also out for his wife's delivery.

Are you seriously predicting that Jenks is going to hit the DL later this month? Don't you think you're getting a little carried away?

I'll ask this question. If you were another GM and had the White Sox system to trade from, who would you be willing to give up from our top prospects for two uncertain years (or 2.333, technically) of Bobby Jenks at $8-12 million and the possibility he goes down with injury and you get nothing in terms of Type A FA comp?

Would you trade Poreda, Hudson and Shelby III straight up for Jenks right now? How confident would you be in making that move?

Very confident. If I'm a GM whose team is competitive and is in need of an high-tier closer with minimal financial commitment, I do that deal.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jul 22, 2009 -> 03:01 PM)
How do you define significant time? He hit the 15 day DL last year.

Point taken, but that doesn't even begin to compare to missing 70+ games with chronic back problems that surgery (apparently) didn't correct a year and a half ago.

QUOTE (WCSox @ Jul 22, 2009 -> 04:58 PM)
Are you kidding me? When was the last time that Jenks missed a significant amount of time due to an injury?

Are you seriously predicting that Jenks is going to hit the DL later this month? Don't you think you're getting a little carried away?

Very confident. If I'm a GM whose team is competitive and is in need of an high-tier closer with minimal financial commitment, I do that deal.

I'll counteroffer you (and disagree that $7-8.5 million in 2010 and $8.5-10.0 million in 2011 is cheap FOR THE WHITE SOX IN THIS ECONOMY)...I want Alexei Ramirez or Tyler Flowers, John Shelby III and Cleveland Santeliz for Bobby Jenks. No longer interested in Poreda or Hudson.

Still make that deal???

Of course Dotel and Linebrink's deals now look a bit worse, but it's a different landscape now than a year ago with our future payrolls and revenue projections.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jul 22, 2009 -> 04:18 PM)
I'll counteroffer you (and disagree that $7-8.5 million in 2010 and $8.5-10.0 million in 2011 is cheap FOR THE WHITE SOX IN THIS ECONOMY)

$160 million wasn't cheap for Sabathia in this economy either, but the Yankees still paid him. Jenks won't cost anybody more than $10 million, as the "renewal" for his services is optional. History suggests that they'll get a solid 2010 and 2011 from him, at minimal financial risk.

...I want Alexei Ramirez or Tyler Flowers, John Shelby III and Cleveland Santeliz for Bobby Jenks. No longer interested in Poreda or Hudson.

Still make that deal???

Alexei is off the table. He's proven ML talent, who can play either middle infield position relatively well and has 20-HR power. I wouldn't trade Beckham either.

I'd consider dealing Flowers, depending on how long I wanted to keep A.J. around.

Perhaps I'm in a minority here, but the vast majority of prospects are just that: prospects. If they haven't done anything impressive at the ML level, they're worth a hell of a lot less than guys like Alexei and Beckham.

Edited by WCSox

QUOTE (WCSox @ Jul 22, 2009 -> 06:30 PM)
$160 million wasn't cheap for Sabathia in this economy either, but the Yankees still paid him. Jenks won't cost anybody more than $10 million, as the "renewal" for his services is optional. History suggests that they'll get a solid 2010 and 2011 from him, at minimal financial risk.

Alexei is off the table. He's proven ML talent, who can play either middle infield position relatively well and has 20-HR power. I wouldn't trade Beckham either.

I'd consider dealing Flowers, depending on how long I wanted to keep A.J. around.

Perhaps I'm in a minority here, but the vast majority of prospects are just that: prospects. If they haven't done anything impressive at the ML level, they're worth a hell of a lot less than guys like Alexei and Beckham.

Do you really think the White Sox would sign someone for more than 3 years and more than $10 million per season as a FA in this offseason?

Just curious...I think the financial landscape for Sox future contracts has changed dramatically from 06-08. Comparing Sabathia/Burnett/Tex and Yankees free-spending ways doesn't have very much relevancy to us anymore.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jul 22, 2009 -> 04:35 PM)
Do you really think the White Sox would sign someone for more than 3 years and more than $10 million per season as a FA in this offseason?

Just curious...I think the financial landscape for Sox future contracts has changed dramatically from 06-08. Comparing Sabathia/Burnett/Tex and Yankees free-spending ways doesn't have very much relevancy to us anymore.

With the money the Sox have coming off the book this offseason, I think they'll be suitors for anyone who fits their roster. JD extending is a possible, Holliday is certainly possible as a corner OF if the bids don't go all Boras-y on us and hit $15 mil a year, a run at a solid or RH starting pitcher is entirely an option. Trading from our glut of infielders to grab someone who is expensive from another team is also plausible. This team has enormous salary flexibility going in to next season, and I expect KW to use some of it.

QUOTE (Pumpkin Escobar @ Jul 22, 2009 -> 05:29 PM)
Hmm...His stuff was at it's best. He came in throwing 100 non-stop.

And 2006 was a good season but he also gave up his most walks and homers. Sort of like what he is doing this year except in 2006 he still was throwing 99 consistently.

I'm out of the conversation. Debating with 14 year olds after I am off work is the last reason I joined the site or wanted to contribute my 2 cents on the matter.

Apparently that is a crime and apparently you just dont have a clue about the game of baseball.

Now go twist something I said in this or a previous post and ignore how you don't understand trade value when it comes to why KW would ask for 2-3 prospects because of status. Or how you think the Mets signed Putz. Or how Jenks whip has gone up the last 3 seasons and his stuff has gone down but that isnt bad because his 07' was sooooo good. It is bad brainiac. He may not be bad - or even medicore - he is still good but from where he was mixed with signs of arm issues in relation to throwing as hard as he did when he is still only 28 years old is a problem. Wake the ____ up!

What are you talking about? Gone up every season? That is true but it doesn't make any sense. He went from 0.89 (absurdly good) to 1.10 (really good) to his current 1.29 (not the greatest, but considering he had 1.24 in 2005, it's evidently decent by your own standards). That doesn't make a whole lot of sense to use that and say "look, he is declining!" I also don't understand why you keep pointing back to 2005, when he had his best stuff, but his numbers/peripherals were better in '07 and '08 and it's pretty common knowledge he wasn't throwing in the triple digits then.

WC Sox's point about Putz that you keep trying to hammer him with is semantics. They gave up resources to get him. That doesn't make the point he was making invalid. You should probably stop talking down to other people, fwiw.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jul 22, 2009 -> 04:35 PM)

Yes, if it's for the right player. Kenny has already shown his hand with the completed deal for Peavy.

I also expect the Sox to try to add to their youth via dangling guys like Jenks and A.J.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jul 22, 2009 -> 04:40 PM)
JD extending is a possible

I'm a big supporter of an extension for JD. When Thome walks as a FA, JD takes the DH role, and Quentin moves to RF.

I agree it'd be nice for Bob to get some time off. You just know if he came in tonight it woulda been a repeat. At least I feel that way.

I heard some guy on TV say he thought all pitchers should be DLed once in a long season. To rest.