Trade Winds Catch All

Chisoxfn

• Replies 233
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

we're still looking for relievers? I can only assume we are looking for a second lefty out of the pen.

As for a hitter, I assume we're looking for someone who can play 1B, 3B, and LF. Teahen fits that description perfectly.

Edited by BearSox

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Jul 22, 2009 -> 12:16 PM)
So that we can move Jenks and make Thornton the closer?

No, so we can have a second lefty in the pen that we won't be scared to use in certain situations. Probably more of a LOOGY than anything else. However, the only problem with getting a LOOGY is that Ozzie has shown with Boone Logan that he has no idea how to use a LOOGY.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jul 22, 2009 -> 03:32 PM)
I assume the Duncan for Lugo deal went down?

The St. Louis Cardinals acquired veteran infielder Julio Lugo and cash considerations from the Boston Red Sox in exchange for outfielder Chris Duncan and a player to be named later or additional money.

The 33-year-old Lugo, who was in the third season of a four-year, $36 million deal, was hitting . 284 with a homer and eight RBI in 37 games this season before he was designated for assignment by the Red Sox last week.

"We felt that Julio could help our club by improving our middle infield depth," said Cardinals' general manager John Mozeliak. "He gives us another right-handed bat and provides Tony with additional flexibility. We're optimistic that he will respond positively to a fresh start here in St. Louis."

A veteran of 10-plus seasons, Lugo owns a career batting average of .271 with 78 home runs and 187 stolen bases.

The 28-year-old Duncan was optioned to Triple-A Memphis after Tuesday's game against Houston. He was batting .227 with five home runs and 32 RBI for the Cardinals this season.

Duncan really fell off a cliff didn't he?

Some guy in Jim Callis' chat said the Sox and Boston discussed a Beckham for Buchholz trade, but didn't have a source and I can't find it anywhere so take it for what it's worth. I wouldn't trade Beckham for Buchholz, but I would certainly be willing to trade Ramirez for him if Boston was interested.

QUOTE (WhiteSoxfan1986 @ Jul 22, 2009 -> 05:57 PM)
Some guy in Jim Callis' chat said the Sox and Boston discussed a Beckham for Buchholz trade, but didn't have a source and I can't find it anywhere so take it for what it's worth. I wouldn't trade Beckham for Buchholz, but I would certainly be willing to trade Ramirez for him if Boston was interested.

Any rumor involving Beckham being traded is BS in my opinion, and especially one like that.

Considering the White Sox have gone on record and said they wouldn't trade Beckham straight up for Jake Peavy before he was hurt, I don't think there is anyway KW would make that trade. There may have been a discussion but from the White Sox end there was either just "no" or insane laughing.

QUOTE (WhiteSoxfan1986 @ Jul 22, 2009 -> 03:57 PM)

You rarely trade a upper echelon hitting prospect (especially MI) for a upper echelon pitching prospect. Or at least you rarely see it happen. Bucholtz is quite good but also a bit over-rated due to being in Boston. Obviously he'd be the Sox best prospect and immediately join the rotation but it isn't worth the cost (ie, Beckham).

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jul 22, 2009 -> 04:07 PM)
You rarely trade a upper echelon hitting prospect (especially MI) for a upper echelon pitching prospect. Or at least you rarely see it happen. Bucholtz is quite good but also a bit over-rated due to being in Boston. Obviously he'd be the Sox best prospect and immediately join the rotation but it isn't worth the cost (ie, Beckham).

It acutally kind of makes sense on paper for both teams...the Sox have a glut of infielders who are most valuable at 2b/SS, the Red Sox have too many pitchers and a gaping hole at SS.

Frankly though I wouldn't do it without another piece for this reason; the White Sox don't need another starting pitcher THAT desperately, while the Red Sox could use a SS.

QUOTE (chw42 @ Jul 22, 2009 -> 06:43 PM)
Talk about a horrible deal for the Cardinals. Julio Lugo sucks.

At least Chris Duncan still has some potential.

Chris Duncan does nothing well. Every fly ball is an adventure for him and he is an awful hitter.

QUOTE (Brian @ Jul 22, 2009 -> 06:44 PM)
Chris Duncan does nothing well. Every fly ball is an adventure for him and he is an awful hitter.

He's got some good power. He had an OPS+ of 140 and 115 in 06 and 07.

Julio Lugo does nothing well. I'd rather play Ryan at SS if I were St. Louis.

Edited by chw42

I'd love to have Buccholz here but that's too steep. From a value standpoint it might not be all that crazy, but considering Beckham is already here and producing it would be too huge a risk for the Sox to take.

QUOTE (fathom @ Jul 22, 2009 -> 07:19 PM)
Cardinals needed middle infield help a lot more than they needed another outfielder.

Ryan and Schumacker have been pretty solid. With only Ludwick and Rasmus producing in the OF, I'd have to disagree. I know they have put their toe in the water about Holliday.

QUOTE (Brian @ Jul 22, 2009 -> 06:08 PM)
Ryan and Schumacker have been pretty solid. With only Ludwick and Rasmus producing in the OF, I'd have to disagree. I know they have put their toe in the water about Holliday.

Duncan's just been that bad though.

I really hope the Red Sox keep signing high salary type A shortstops. It helps everyone else in the league get better.

QUOTE (Brian @ Jul 23, 2009 -> 02:08 AM)

As of yesterday, Ryan was in a big slump