Trade Winds Catch All

Chisoxfn

QUOTE (BearSox @ Jul 31, 2009 -> 08:35 AM)
And if pulls the ball, well, Fenway park is probably the worst place to be for a left handed home run hitter.

Besides Big Papi, there was this dead pull hitter named Williams who seemed to do ok there. Also another lefty with a funny name. I think I've heard Hawk mention him before.

Edited by PlaySumFnJurny

• Replies 233
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (PlaySumFnJurny @ Jul 31, 2009 -> 10:15 AM)
Besides Big Papi, there was this dead pull hitter named Williams who seemed to do ok there. Also another lefty with a funny name. I think I've heard Hawk mention him before.

Catfish or Sudden Sam McDowell......he has kind of gotten away from Sam.

QUOTE (BearSox @ Jul 31, 2009 -> 08:35 AM)
He loves to drive the ball the other way. Most of his home runs are left of centerfield.

And if pulls the ball, well, Fenway park is probably the worst place to be for a left handed home run hitter.

Why is that? Isnt the right field corner super close with like a 4-foot tall wall? Wouldnt that make it easier?

Found this interesting....scary to think what it would take to get him.

Mariners Rejected Offers For Felix Hernandez

By Tim Dierkes [July 31 at 11:14am CST]

The Mariners rejected offers from six different teams for young ace pitcher Felix Hernandez, according to ESPN's Jayson Stark and Peter Gammons. GM Jack Zduriencik admitted he listened, but didn't find anything even worth discussing.

Hernandez, just 23 years old, has a 2.79 ERA in 145.3 innings this year. He's under team control through 2011, but has yet to sign a long-term contract.

Edited by EvilJester99

QUOTE (EvilJester99 @ Jul 31, 2009 -> 11:26 AM)
Found this interesting....scary to think what it would take to get him.

Mariners Rejected Offers For Felix Hernandez

By Tim Dierkes [July 31 at 11:14am CST]

The Mariners rejected offers from six different teams for young ace pitcher Felix Hernandez, according to ESPN's Jayson Stark and Peter Gammons. GM Jack Zduriencik admitted he listened, but didn't find anything even worth discussing.

Hernandez, just 23 years old, has a 2.79 ERA in 145.3 innings this year. He's under team control through 2011, but has yet to sign a long-term contract.

Would give them anything. Anything.

Seattle would be absolutely foolish to unload Felix. Isn't the idea for a team on the rebuild to get younger and better? Who is younger and better than him? Lincecum maybe, but who else?

I doubt they are shopping him, probably just nosey GMs seeing if Felix can be had. I trust and hope KW was one of those 6 teams who called about Felix.

QUOTE (Princess Dye @ Jul 31, 2009 -> 09:34 AM)
KW apparently loves his best prospects right now. Rightly so.

In the current climate the best move may be to put a bunch of young players together with some FAs in the coming year or two.

KW has a ridiculous amount of salary flexibility this coming offseason to trade people and to sign to fill holes. He ought to be holding on Flowers right now because we need a catcher soon, he ought to hold on D2: the mighty Danks because of his brother, and he probably ought to hold on Viciedo unless he gets a spectacular offer. Other than that, if I were in his chair, I'd be looking at this offseason and drooling, between teams looking to shed salary and actually making plays for FA's, he's got a ton of balls in his court.

QUOTE (BearSox @ Jul 31, 2009 -> 12:54 PM)
Well, Seattle did trade away Clement and some other solid prospects the other day for Jack freaking Wilson and Ian Snell.

They seem pretty stupid to me.

LOL. Yea, but there is stupid and then STUPID. But it probably was worth the call to check out King Felix's availability. Gawtdamn with him and Burls, Danks and Floyd that's pretty rockin'.

QUOTE (Princess Dye @ Jul 31, 2009 -> 10:05 AM)
Will FAs come to the Sox though? That's my one worry.

the managers poll was a little scary to me. and then you have the whole Torii Hunter thing, where in the end we had to overpay in a trade to get anyone here.

We're not going to offer matt Holliday $5/100. We're not going to get in to a bidding war with stupid money against the Yankees. That doesn't work for any team, doesn't even work well for the Yankees. But I think we'll be players for just about anyone this offseason, and until someone offers stupid money, we'll have a shot.

QUOTE (Tony82087 @ Jul 31, 2009 -> 12:08 PM)
I think with this economic climate, teams are just putting too much stock into their prospects, and deals can't get done.

Not too mention that if players aren't taking PEDs as much, then those careers aren't going to last as long at such a high level. So teams need to be prepared.