Trade Winds Catch All

Chisoxfn

• Replies 233
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (BearSox @ Jul 27, 2009 -> 11:28 PM)
I've said it before, and I'll say it again.... I'd do anything to get Ian Stewart on this team.

Anything would include dealing Danks or Beckham. Obviously you aren't that serious, but I also doubt the Rockies are even remotely interested in dealing him, leading the Wild Card and all, without getting something seriously good in return.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Jul 28, 2009 -> 04:33 AM)
Anything would include dealing Danks or Beckham. Obviously you aren't that serious, but I also doubt the Rockies are even remotely interested in dealing him, leading the Wild Card and all, without getting something seriously good in return.

I didn't say I'd give anything, I said I would DO anything.... ;)

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jul 27, 2009 -> 06:08 PM)
I really wonder if payroll and the recession are killing the trade deadline for a lot of teams.

Teams aren't as willing to give up their young minor league prospects. That isn't something new though, that's been going on for a few seasons now.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Jul 28, 2009 -> 09:38 AM)
Yeah, most people that commit murders think this way. And they dont

Let's specify here...by "Most", you mean "61%" based on the most recent data. 39% of murders in 2007 went without convictions. And probably a fair number of those were wrongful convictions, based on the overturn rate we see these days. He's got a legit shot.

Ok, enough about the murdering nonsense.

In other news, the DBacks are definitely not giving up Haren, per Rosenthal:

http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/9863582...day%27s-edition

D-backs official: Haren staying — 12:29 p.m.

Lest we start wondering if another ace might be thrust into the midseason swap meet, one senior Diamondbacks official said emphatically Tuesday morning that Dan Haren isn't going anywhere.

Haren is under contract through 2013. He's been among the best pitchers in baseball this year — 10-5 record, 2.14 ERA, 141 strikeouts in 143 innings — and figures to be entering his prime at age 28.

"We're not trading him," the Arizona official said. "We don't want to change our core."

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jul 28, 2009 -> 11:41 AM)
Let's specify here...by "Most", you mean "61%" based on the most recent data. 39% of murders in 2007 went without convictions. And probably a fair number of those were wrongful convictions, based on the overturn rate we see these days. He's got a legit shot.

there is nitpicking facetious arguments, and then there is Balta

Looking at MLBTR which I know is not a source I went to the site it links to for a rumor and found it to be the NYPost(not a real source either)... http://blogs.nypost.com/sports/st/archives...y_trade_co.html

but it mentions the possible availability of one CARL CRAWFORD...

What ya guys thinks? Thats one of Kenny's guys and if he is really available how can Kenny not be interested

Edited by ChiSox420*

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jul 28, 2009 -> 12:02 PM)
Ok, enough about the murdering nonsense.

In other news, the DBacks are definitely not giving up Haren, per Rosenthal:

http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/9863582...day%27s-edition

D-backs official: Haren staying — 12:29 p.m.

Lest we start wondering if another ace might be thrust into the midseason swap meet, one senior Diamondbacks official said emphatically Tuesday morning that Dan Haren isn't going anywhere.

Haren is under contract through 2013. He's been among the best pitchers in baseball this year — 10-5 record, 2.14 ERA, 141 strikeouts in 143 innings — and figures to be entering his prime at age 28.

"We're not trading him," the Arizona official said. "We don't want to change our core."

The term 'duh' comes to mind when I read this. And that's not a shot at you, shack. They gave up a ton to get him. He's been every bit as good as they could've hoped (probably even better). He's right smack in his prime and under control (as the article states) for the next 4 years. There was never any substance here. Time to let go of this pipe.

QUOTE (ChiSox420* @ Jul 28, 2009 -> 01:11 PM)
Looking at MLBTR which I know is not a source I went to the site it links to for a rumor and found it to be the NYPost(not a real source either)... http://blogs.nypost.com/sports/st/archives...y_trade_co.html

but it mentions the possible availability of one CARL CRAWFORD...

What ya guys thinks? Thats one of Kenny's guys and if he is really available how can Kenny not be interested

I would LOVE to have Crawford, but I believe he is almost a FA (this year or next?), which would deter me a bit.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jul 28, 2009 -> 01:59 PM)
2011 offseason. 1.5 years remaining.

Well, not exactly. Next year is a club option at $10 million with a 1.25 M buyout. Now undoubtedly that will be picked-up pending some unforseen circumstance, but he could technically be a free agent next offseason.

It seems that many believe the Rays could exercise the option merely for the purpose of trading him. We'll have to see.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jul 28, 2009 -> 12:21 PM)
It seems that many believe the Rays could exercise the option merely for the purpose of trading him. We'll have to see.

That would be an intelligent move by the Rays. Simple fact is though; they're not letting him walk for nothing.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jul 28, 2009 -> 02:25 PM)
That would be an intelligent move by the Rays. Simple fact is though; they're not letting him walk for nothing.

Oh absolutely. If they were really intelligent, they would move him NOW. He is in the midst of his best season since 2006, and I have a very hard time believing they will be able to keep him in Tampa after next season.

Unfortunately, the price would be prohibitive for most contending teams. Tampa is going to want back a big bat and a front end arm, and the only way that happens is from a non-contending team such as the Indians. However, I suppose it would be possible to trade Tampa the prospects the Indians want, and then they move them to the Indians for VMart and Lee. All seems a bit too complicated to me...

According to WEEI, the Red Sox are close to a trade that would send Cliff Lee to Boston for a package of Michael Bowden, Josh Reddick, and one more prospect.

The Red Sox have reportedly dangled Clay Buchholz in a package for Roy Halladay, but would be better off swinging this deal instead. Bowden, 22, has a 3.09 ERA and a 64/35 K/BB ratio in 18 starts for Triple-A Pawtucket. Reddick is batting .269/.346/.510 with 13 homers for Double-A Portland. It's a decent haul for the Tribe, but not nearly what the Blue Jays are demanding for their ace. We'll keep you updated. Jul. 28 - 6:26 pm et

Mariners Ready To Sell

By Ben Nicholson-Smith [July 28 at 6:06pm CST]

6:06pm: Jon Paul Morosi and Ken Rosenthal are now reporting that Washburn is "officially available" and have informed the Yankees, who plan to make an offer soon. The Brewers also could be interested in Washburn.

QUOTE (Heads22 @ Jul 29, 2009 -> 12:29 AM)
I'd be down for some Jarrod Washburn.

At this point, why would we want him? Seattle would probably ask for Alexei, Gordon, or a combo of Flowers and someone else. Fly ball pitchers in our park = not good, and it's not like we need another lefty. I bet Washburn goes to Milwaukee, which would also be a mistake as that team has no prayer of catching the Cubs/Cards.