2009 Unsigned Draft Pick Update

Chisoxfn

FS: 2009 Unsigned Draft Pick Update

By Jason Gage

FutureSox.com

FutureSox.com has received a lot of questions over the past couple weeks regarding the status of some of the un-signed picks from the White Sox 2009 draft class. In fact our readers have also pointed out that there have been very little information on anyone’s draft picks, including any of the Sox more notable un-signed picks: Trayce Thompson (2nd), Bryan Morgado (3rd), Justin Jones (7th), Dane Williams (15th), and Brian Goodwin (17th).

The reason for this was summed up perfectly by Jim Callis of Baseball America (see below) and each of the players listed above fit into the category describe by Callis (as they are all believed to be asking for “above slot”).

It has been 12 days since a first-round draft pick signed, and 20 of the 32 have yet to agree to terms. Don’t expect those numbers to change much in the next two to three weeks. Most if not all of the first-rounders who were going to sign for MLB’s slot recommendations have done so, and MLB is going to drag its heels on approving deals that far exceed its guidelines.

This means that the Sox might have actually reached deals with the prospects in question but those deals have not been announced as the league tends to sit on above-slot offers. Or the Sox might just be waiting patiently to see if the asking price drops before making their significant offer.

What we can tell you from what we’ve heard:

- The Sox appear confident that they’ll be able to sign Trayce Thompson and Justin Jones.

- Bryan Morgado appears to be a wild-card. Initially the Sox had felt he’d be an easy sign as he was a college player without a college (Tennessee wasn’t going to keep him) but as a draft eligible sophomore who has opened up some scouts’ eyes at the Cape, his contract demands and leverage have been higher than expected.

- Brian Goodwin and Dane Williams will go down to the wire. The odds aren’t good, but the Sox are going to give it a fighting shot.

With the early success of Beckham, it's so tempting to think with how atrocious Wise is, that Danks or Mitchell couldn't be any worse...and maybe either one could have a Brian Anderson 2006 offensive output right now, but it would so disastrous for their development to treat Beckham as the new rule and not the exception with moving college players up so quickly through the system and to the bigs.

It will be interesting to see if they bring Mitchell to the AFL...I'm assuming the best SOX OF candidates would possibly be an "aging" (25/26) Gartrell (wasn't he hurt last year at that time and Beckham or Danks took his spot?), Shelby III, Danks and Mitchell.

QUOTE (BearSox @ Jul 22, 2009 -> 09:58 PM)
I would dance around my block naked if we signed Brian Goodwin. If we sign all the players mentioned above, I will go door to door of every poster's house on here, and provide any service they want me to do... while being naked.

CUT MY LAWN!