AND THAT'S A WHITE SOX WINNER!!!

southsider2k5

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Heck of a win tonight. Gotta hand it to the Scott Podsednik Revolution, I never saw this coming. Also, what we saw tonight what a defining moment in the Matt Thornton should NOT be our closer. Two innings, and he was shaky, but still impressive. We can’t sacrifice that type of presence in the 7th and/or 8th

QUOTE (GoSox05 @ Jul 22, 2009 -> 11:43 PM)
Good game. I thought Torres was solid.

He needs to start throwing more strikes. If he keeps getting behind hitters he’s going to get hit around, if anything he was very lucky tonight. Ultimately, I liked some of what I saw in Torres, but wasn’t wowed or overly impressed, but he battles and got results, that’s all that matters.

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Jul 22, 2009 -> 10:46 PM)
He needs to start throwing more strikes. If he keeps getting behind hitters he’s going to get hit around, if anything he was very lucky tonight. Ultimately, I liked some of what I saw in Torres, but wasn’t wowed or overly impressed, but he battles and got results, that’s all that matters.

His fastball looked straight as an arrow. He was pretty much keeping it down all game, outside of the Burrell homer (I think Gross went down to get his). If he does that, he'll be relatively successful.

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Jul 22, 2009 -> 10:08 PM)
Happy birthday, TheBigHurt.

Very solid start by Torres. And you just saw our eventual new closer tonight. Trade Jenks while you can still get a pretty good haul for him because we have his replacement already.

Pfff. Thornton is being anointed our new closer? Matt is a great lefty out of the pen and all, but the kid has 2 pitches and gets hit HARD at times since his fastball doesnt move much. I have MUCH more confidence in Jenks being the closer than Thornton, and its not even close.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Jul 23, 2009 -> 05:30 AM)
His fastball looked straight as an arrow. He was pretty much keeping it down all game, outside of the Burrell homer (I think Gross went down to get his). If he does that, he'll be relatively successful.

I disagree on his pitches. I thought his fastball had some decent late sink on it, but his cutter needed some work.

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Jul 22, 2009 -> 10:49 PM)
What an incredible series thus far. It's not often that you see a playoff like atmosphere like this against a non-divisional opponent in July.

Stone said it best at the end of the game. We've won two games we should've lost and lost one we should've won.

Today's game should be interesting.

QUOTE (WCSox @ Jul 22, 2009 -> 11:01 PM)
Nice spot-start by Torres. Not overwhelmingly awesome, but he kept us in the game. And big ups to Thornton for the two-inning save. :notworthy

The Rays announcers are such whiners. They wouldn't shut up about the missed 3rd strike call on Alexei, as if they were the only ones who've been getting screwed by poor calls this series.

Not exactly something we as Sox fans can really complain about, considering Hawk will still be b****ing about a bad call from the 2nd well into the 8th inning. It makes me cringe when he does that because I know other fans are listening to him and thinks "wow, the Sox announcers are such whiners."

QUOTE (TheBigHurt @ Jul 22, 2009 -> 08:17 PM)
Not having BA anymore is going to make those 1 run leads in the 9th very scary.

Sadly, Wise is still a massive defensive upgrade over Pods in CF. Pods looks completely lost out there, and I'm pretty sure that my mother has a stronger arm than him.

QUOTE (lostfan @ Jul 23, 2009 -> 07:21 AM)
Not exactly something we as Sox fans can really complain about, considering Hawk will still be b****ing about a bad call from the 2nd well into the 8th inning. It makes me cringe when he does that because I know other fans are listening to him and thinks "wow, the Sox announcers are such whiners."

Good point.

QUOTE (lostfan @ Jul 23, 2009 -> 10:21 AM)

Did you catch the TB telecast? I did, and the TB announcers complained about the non 3rd strike call to Alexei (which resulted in a triple a couple pitches later) from Laz Diaz from the 7th, until the game was over. I mean they had camera shots on him and were grilling him non stop the last couple innings.

Just thought I would let all Sox fans (and hawk bashers) know.

The call was borderline at best, btw.

QUOTE (rangercal @ Jul 23, 2009 -> 10:35 AM)
Did you catch the TB telecast? I did, and the TB announcers complained about the non 3rd strike call to Alexei (which resulted in a triple a couple pitches later) from Laz Diaz from the 7th, until the game was over. I mean they had camera shots on him and were grilling him non stop the last couple innings.

Just thought I would let all Sox fans (and hawk bashers) know.

The call was borderline at best, btw.

I didn't watch the telecast but I don't dispute that the TB announcers were b****ing so I don't really see what that has to do with what I said. But this is something Hawk drives me insane with, when the Sox get a questionable/bad call he ranges from mild complaining to bringing it up every inning for the rest of the game to screaming into the mic and popping a blood vessel in his head. There's times when I have to mute him until his rant is out of his system. So if we were to say to some Rays fans "man, your announcers are really b****y" we wouldn't have much of a leg to stand on there, Hawk does it so much more.

Edited by lostfan

QUOTE (lostfan @ Jul 23, 2009 -> 11:02 AM)
I didn't watch the telecast but I don't dispute that the TB announcers were b****ing so I don't really see what that has to do with what I said. But this is something Hawk drives me insane with, when the Sox get a questionable/bad call he ranges from mild complaining to bringing it up every inning for the rest of the game to screaming into the mic and popping a blood vessel in his head. There's times when I have to mute him until his rant is out of his system. So if we were to say to some Rays fans "man, your announcers are really b****y" we wouldn't have much of a leg to stand on there, Hawk does it so much more.

just making a point that Hawk is not the only one.

QUOTE (lostfan @ Jul 23, 2009 -> 09:21 AM)

I really couldn't care less what other fans think.

QUOTE (lostfan @ Jul 23, 2009 -> 09:21 AM)

he did do my favorite Hawk move last night, which he hasn't done too much this year. It's when he complains about a non-strike call for a Sox pitcher, they show the replay and he yells "where was that?" and it's obvious that it was a ball. I believe the one last night was obviously low and outside

QUOTE (rangercal @ Jul 23, 2009 -> 07:35 AM)

Note how they didn't complain nearly as much about Upton's stupid ass turning an inning-ending flyout into a two-run triple. Nor did they say a peep when Jenks got squeezed on at least two similar pitches the previous day.

The TB announcers are complete hacks. For all of his whining and excessive homerness, at least Hawk knows how to call a game.

QUOTE (lostfan @ Jul 23, 2009 -> 10:10 AM)
I generally don't either, but this would be the pot calling the kettle black.

You make a good point here, but these guys piled on Diaz heavily AFTER Upton stupidly misplayed an almost-routine fly ball and turned an inning-ending flyout into a two-run triple. Upton lost the f'n game for them, yet they put all of the blame on Diaz. I realize that Hawk whines a lot about the umpiring, but he doesn't blame them for a loss when Sox players make stupid defensive mistakes.

QUOTE (WCSox @ Jul 23, 2009 -> 01:17 PM)
You make a good point here, but these guys piled on Diaz heavily AFTER Upton stupidly misplayed an almost-routine fly ball and turned an inning-ending flyout into a two-run triple. Upton lost the f'n game for them, yet they put all of the blame on Diaz. I realize that Hawk whines a lot about the umpiring, but he doesn't blame them for a loss when Sox players make stupid defensive mistakes.

This much is true. Sometimes it takes a while for Hawk to call a Sox player out, but he will do it if the mistake was bad enough. Although sometimes his whining does get carried away and start glossing over other reasons the Sox lost (i.e., allowing too many runs, leaving runners in scoring position, etc.).

Edited by lostfan

QUOTE (WCSox @ Jul 23, 2009 -> 12:17 PM)

I disagree. If the roles were reversed he would keep arguing that the bad play on the field would never have happened if the ump made the right call on balls and strikes.

He's done that a million times.

Edited by BigSqwert