AND THAT'S A WHITE SOX WINNER!!!

southsider2k5

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Jul 23, 2009 -> 10:20 AM)
I disagree. If the roles were reversed he would keep arguing that the bad play on the field would never have happened if the ump made the right call on balls and strikes.

He's done that a million times.

Hawk and Stone both have histories of calling out players who make mistakes that cost games. Listening to last night's Rays telecast, you'd think that Laz Diaz threw the meatball that Alexei crushed into CF, and then tripped Upton.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (WCSox @ Jul 23, 2009 -> 12:45 PM)
Hawk and Stone both have histories of calling out players who make mistakes that cost games. Listening to last night's Rays telecast, you'd think that Laz Diaz threw the meatball that Alexei crushed into CF, and then tripped Upton.

I'm not disputing that. I'm just saying if Hawk perceives that we got slighted by an ump and the next batter takes advantage, he reacts exactly like the Rays announcers did last night.

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Jul 23, 2009 -> 12:47 PM)
I'm not disputing that. I'm just saying if Hawk perceives that we got slighted by an ump and the next batter takes advantage, he reacts exactly like the Rays announcers did last night.

exactly, in fact, he doesn't end at the next batter, as long as the inning goes he blames a borderline call

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Jul 23, 2009 -> 10:47 AM)

When Sox players commit two bone-headed defensive plays in one inning that cost them the lead, Hawk cherry-picks a balls-and-strikes call and blames the umps for the loss later in the game? I don't recall him ever doing that.

QUOTE (WCSox @ Jul 23, 2009 -> 02:26 PM)
When Sox players commit two bone-headed defensive plays in one inning that cost them the lead, Hawk cherry-picks a balls-and-strikes call and blames the umps for the loss later in the game? I don't recall him ever doing that.

Not that exact situation, but yes he does do things like this. All the time actually.

QUOTE (lostfan @ Jul 23, 2009 -> 11:43 AM)
Not that exact situation, but yes he does do things like this. All the time actually.

I've been listening to Hawk whine about questionable calls for 27 years, but I've never heard him squarely blame an ump for a loss on a questionable ball/strike call AFTER Sox players committed two bone-headed defensive plays in that same inning that CLEARLY cost them the game.

QUOTE (WCSox @ Jul 23, 2009 -> 02:53 PM)
I've been listening to Hawk whine about questionable calls for 27 years, but I've never heard him squarely blame an ump for a loss on a questionable ball/strike call AFTER Sox players committed two bone-headed defensive plays in that same inning that CLEARLY cost them the game.

You're narrowing the window so tight that nothing can fit in. Of course he's never done EXACTLY that. But he does complain about the umps, show replays, unnecessarily complain about a call later in the game and pretty clearly imply that it's the umps' fault the Sox are in whatever situation they're in.

QUOTE (lostfan @ Jul 23, 2009 -> 11:58 AM)
You're narrowing the window so tight that nothing can fit in. Of course he's never done EXACTLY that. But he does complain about the umps, show replays, unnecessarily complain about a call later in the game and pretty clearly imply that it's the umps' fault the Sox are in whatever situation they're in.

There's a difference between complaining about the umps and scapegoating the umps. After the Sox took the lead, the Rays announcers didn't say a f'n thing about Upton's inability to read a routine fly ball or Bartlett's error that same inning. At least Hawk has the stones to call out his own players.

QUOTE (WCSox @ Jul 23, 2009 -> 03:05 PM)
There's a difference between complaining about the umps and scapegoating the umps. After the Sox took the lead, the Rays announcers didn't say a f'n thing about Upton's inability to read a routine fly ball or Bartlett's error that same inning. At least Hawk has the stones to call out his own players.

I haven't disagreed on that point.

Actually there was a game a week or two ago where Danks was pitching, and struggling a bit, and I actually thought Hawk was being kind of harsh.

Edited by lostfan